Path question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone know about pathology in the armed forces (esp. NAVY)? I know (if you believe my recruiter) that anything surgical is in demand, but I'm also curious about path (the recruiter was a bit fuzzy on this one). I should also put it that I'm looking at the Ready Reserve, rather than AD, until the kids are bigger - not sure what difference that's make.

I know the AFIP is top notch, but I'd specifically like to know if anyone knows about the need for pathologists (rather than if good ones are already serving).

Anyone have the gouge?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i can't comment on the Navy specifically, but pathology overall is getting more competitive. part of this is because they've gone from a 5 year residency with and internship to a 4 year residency without an internship, and part of it is that path overall is getting more competitive (lifestyle, no pt's, etc). the end result being that not only will there be more people for the slots, but there will also be a few years of interns and students competing for the same residency slots. theoretically they should be able to take students only eventually, but there will always be those people that didn't match the first time around that will try to match again.

the AFIP is nice, and the Walter Reed/Bethesda program is top notch. I'm not too familiar with the other Navy programs.

good luck

Historically, there hasn't been a great need for Navy pathologists, simply because those that were already in the Navy were staying in because the civilian job market was so grim. However, at 30 years of service, everyone has to get out, and the specialty of pathology in the Navy is very top-heavy. I did a post-sophomore fellowship in path, so I kept in touch with the pathologists at the Naval Hospital, which is where this came from. Apparently, in the next few years there will be a large number of retirements freeing up spots. Hopefully, the specialty bonus will go up as well for recruiting, right now it's one of the lowest.

Both Pathology residencies for the Navy (Bethesda and San Diego) are supposed to be excellent, if you can afford to live in either of those areas. For me, I'm sticking with Portsmouth Virginia and Radiology. Hope this helps.
DD

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely a help. Thanks for the replies.

P

Homonculus (or others),

You mention that path is now a 4 year residency without an internship year. I know this is also the case outside of the military. Do you know if not doing an internship year puts one at anything of a disadvantage in getting a commission (Ready Reserve), or does it not matter?

I thought I remembered hearing that one had to do an internship year, period, to enter the service. Is this so?

Thanks,
P

My understanding of the path situation follows: the Army has opted to dispense with the intern year, while the Navy has decided to keep it as a requirement. So, 4 years for the Army and 5 years for the Navy. Yet one more reason to GO ARMY!