PennVet c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very excited-just got off waitlist but have a few questions and hoping someone here might be able to help....Does Penn have an exotics program and are there any wildlife opportunities? Also, I've read that you don't touch an animal at all until 3rd year. Is that still the case, or is there some animal handling before 3rd year. Appreciate any insights!
Were you on the IS or OOS waitlist? And when did you hear?

Members don't see this ad.

Very excited-just got off waitlist but have a few questions and hoping someone here might be able to help....Does Penn have an exotics program and are there any wildlife opportunities? Also, I've read that you don't touch an animal at all until 3rd year. Is that still the case, or is there some animal handling before 3rd year. Appreciate any insights!
I want to preface with saying my opinion may be a bit superficial b/c I will be starting this fall so I can only speak anecdotally. From what I have heard though, and as someone who attended the welcome event (also overheard a student ask your exact question), it does not sound to me like they have a robust exotics/wildlife program. Yes, they have clubs and such. But, they even told us that they partner with an outside exotics hospital in order to deliver that experience for students who are interested. That alone makes exotics sound like an area that is placed on the back burner. I don’t think Penn would be a flat out BAD decision for a person interested in exotics per say, but just realize (if you do choose penn) that it may be behind a lot of the other areas (small animal, large animal, etc.) and you MAY find your experiences/clinical skills lacking which could result in you needing to find ways to supplement. Again, this is just from me on the outside looking in right now. I could be wrong. Just sharing what I have heard thus far. Hoping a second year or something adds more detail. Wishing you well on your journey!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just emailed Rob DiMeo as I'm on the IS waitlist and still have not heard anything. He said the IS waitlist hasn't moved yet :(

I emailed Rob this morning as well, and I am OOS. I was #37 at the beginning and as of today, I am #10!!

I cannot believe it, but I got off the waitlist this morning (I was #37 OOS)!! I have another opportunity that is not 100% certain yet, but is accepting the seat off the waitlist a binding decision? Thank you :)

Reactions: 2 users
I just emailed Rob DiMeo as I'm on the IS waitlist and still have not heard anything. He said the IS waitlist hasn't moved yet :(
I’m also IS waitlist and haven’t heard anything last I emailed was in march and Rob told me that it hadn’t moved which wasn’t unusual.

I am declining my seat at UPenn. I hope someone else hears some good news soon! :)

I want to preface with saying my opinion may be a bit superficial b/c I will be starting this fall so I can only speak anecdotally. From what I have heard though, and as someone who attended the welcome event (also overheard a student ask your exact question), it does not sound to me like they have a robust exotics/wildlife program. Yes, they have clubs and such. But, they even told us that they partner with an outside exotics hospital in order to deliver that experience for students who are interested. That alone makes exotics sound like an area that is placed on the back burner. I don’t think Penn would be a flat out BAD decision for a person interested in exotics per say, but just realize (if you do choose penn) that it may be behind a lot of the other areas (small animal, large animal, etc.) and you MAY find your experiences/clinical skills lacking which could result in you needing to find ways to supplement. Again, this is just from me on the outside looking in right now. I could be wrong. Just sharing what I have heard thus far. Hoping a second year or something adds more detail. Wishing you well on your journey!
Thanks so much for your reply. Was able to talk to students from different years and decided to accept spot!

Thanks so much for your reply. Was able to talk to students from different years and decided to accept spot!
No problem! Glad you were able to get some additional information to inform your decision. In that case, see you around :)

I was pulled off the waitlist this morning! No more waiting for me :)

Just got an email that a seat opened up! I was #6 on the in state list!

Reactions: 3 users