poor candidate for OMFS internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakdie999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from dental school as of last June. Currently, I'm doing a general residency at a pretty well known institution.

I don't have post-residency plans at the moment. But I've been exposed to lots of oral surgery cases and am interested in doing specialized procedures in that field.

Both my college and dental gpas were below a 3.0. I haven't held much extracurriculars in dental school, and my board scores were around low 80s and upper 70s. I'd love to specialize in OMFS but I don't think there's anyway of even having a chance unless if I re-do an entire 4 yrs of dental school.

But I want to do an OMFS internship. I have no preference to its location as long as it's in the continental US. It doesn't have to be anywhere prestigious. I just want an internship where I can perform a variety of OS procedures, and not just merely observing or assisting.

What should I do? Do I have a decent chance of getting into some internships? If so, what programs are they? And should I retake my boards just to get into an internship?

Members don't see this ad.

if you retook boards and did well, you could probably get into a residency somewhere im guessing after doing your internship. good luck!

if you retook boards and did well, you could probably get into a residency somewhere im guessing after doing your internship. good luck!

Thank you for your reply but you did not answer my question, or anything immediately related to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes he did, i thought that was great advice for you.

If you read carefully, I said I wanted to apply to an internship ( not a residency ). More specifically, I wanted to know if I can get into a decent internship with my stats the way they are.

If you read carefully, I said I wanted to apply to an internship ( not a residency ). More specifically, I wanted to know if I can get into a decent internship with my stats the way they are.

You may find your answer here.

but do these internships take anybody?

Like I said, my stats:

GPA < 3.0 ( both in college and dental school )
Rank in dental school ~ somewhere above half of my class
Part I ~ 83
Part II ~ 76
Currently attending a gpr

I graduated from dental school as of last June. Currently, I'm doing a general residency at a pretty well known institution.

I don't have post-residency plans at the moment. But I've been exposed to lots of oral surgery cases and am interested in doing specialized procedures in that field.

Both my college and dental gpas were below a 3.0. I haven't held much extracurriculars in dental school, and my board scores were around low 80s and upper 70s. I'd love to specialize in OMFS but I don't think there's anyway of even having a chance unless if I re-do an entire 4 yrs of dental school.

But I want to do an OMFS internship. I have no preference to its location as long as it's in the continental US. It doesn't have to be anywhere prestigious. I just want an internship where I can perform a variety of OS procedures, and not just merely observing or assisting.

What should I do? Do I have a decent chance of getting into some internships? If so, what programs are they? And should I retake my boards just to get into an internship?
Since you didn't like the genuine advice somebody gave, why don't you just tell us what you want to hear? Then somebody can copy it back into a post and you'll get exactly the advice you're wanting.

Like I said, my stats:

GPA < 3.0 ( both in college and dental school )
Rank in dental school ~ somewhere above half of my class
Part I ~ 83
Part II ~ 76
Currently attending a gpr

Alright, here's the deal. OMFS internships are not hard to get into. Most of the time, all it takes is a phone call to a program director and express your interests. Now, if a program only has one internship spot and multiple applicants applies to that spot, then yes, the program director gets to pick and choose.

If you're not picky on which program you want to do an internship at, then you'll have no problems getting into an internship (1-year) program. By doing an one-year internship, it will look great on your CV and provide you with potential recommendation writters IF YOU'VE DONE WELL.

Looking at your numbers, it's not getting into an internship raise concerns, but it's what you will do after the internship? To be competitive (in general), yes, one-year internship will help you tremendously, but even if you were a rock star intern, program directors will suggest you to retake Part 1 of the dental boards. Some great internship positions actually may even have a "cut off" Part 1 score for applicants to apply to.

Often competitive programs affliated with medical schools (ie 6-year MD integrated programs) don't want to invest into a intern when they know that their numbers aren't up to par. Applying to an internship position, usually will require letters of recommendation, official board scores, personal statement, and the whole-nine-yards. Select your desired geographic setting(s), see if they have OMFS programs there, call the OMFS program directors, and ask if they offer an internship, tell you story, and that you would like to apply. That's all there is.

You can start to do your research now, but word of caution, some competitive OMFS programs will reserve their internship position(s) for applicants that had applied to their resident spot(s) and they were already interviewed and didn't MATCH. So when you call about internship positions, don't be surprised if the program director tells you that for you to be eligible for their internship position, you must be a regular applicant for their OMFS resident spot(s) first. If you don't get in (ie MATCH), then call them back for the internship position.

Bottom line, internships in general are not competitive, but they can be at competitive OMFS residency programs. Your numbers are too low and your CV is too weak, even after one year of internship may not get you anywhere. If you get into an internship position somewhere, lets say you did VERY WELL and received great letters of recommendation, retaking and increasing Part 1 score is inevitable. If OMFS is what you truly wish for, then start making your phone calls and get into the mind set to start studying for NBDE Part 1 again. With low GPAs, low class ranking, and a blank CV, scoring above a 90 is a must in addition to a "rock star" performance at your internship. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Does OMS internship pay? as in similar to PGY-1?

Yes, internship does pay just like residents. Any where from $36K - 42K depending where you go.

here's a fun fact: long island jewish pays the most

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you're not asking about residencies in specific, but I guess we are all assuming that you'll be using that internship as a stepping stone for a residency application, which in your case may or may not be true ...

... I'd love to specialize in OMFS but I don't think there's anyway of even having a chance unless if I re-do an entire 4 yrs of dental school. ....

Not true. There's a lot you can improve on your application beyond your dental school GPA. An internship is a great place to start !

... Do I have a decent chance of getting into some internships? ...

Yes. Internships, yes.
Residencies, no.

... And should I retake my boards just to get into an internship?

No. Internships, no.
Residencies, yes.

If OMFS is what you truly wish for, then start making your phone calls and get into the mind set to start studying for NBDE Part 1 again. With low GPAs, low class ranking, and a blank CV, scoring above a 90 is a must in addition to a "rock star" performance at your internship. Good luck.

Hmmm. But if I wanted to do a residency, wouldn't I also have to retake the Part II exam?

And for the internships, should I start calling now?

Hmmm. But if I wanted to do a residency, wouldn't I also have to retake the Part II exam?

And for the internships, should I start calling now?

No, you passed Part II already, no one cares about Part II. I mean, if you love taking standardized exam and waste your money, yeah, feel free to retake Part II, but it's not necessary.

Sure, start to do your research on programs now and call.

You may be a poor OMFS applicant, but you're a perio allstar.

Yah-E, were did the Gopher Football logo disappear to?

GO FALCONS!!

Yah-E, were did the Gopher Football logo disappear to?

GO FALCONS!!

SDN forums has the setting set up that your signature only appears in the 1st post that you post in each thread. So to see my GOPHERS pride, got to scroll up and find my first post.

You guys were very lucky, but I have to give it to your coach with a gutsy call to go for two in OT! I'm still very hurt and bitter that we lost to BG!!:thumbdown:

Go GOPHERS!

SDN forums has the setting set up that your signature only appears in the 1st post that you post in each thread. So to see my GOPHERS pride, got to scroll up and find my first post.

You guys were very lucky, but I have to give it to your coach with a gutsy call to go for two in OT! I'm still very hurt and bitter that we lost to BG!!:thumbdown:

Go GOPHERS!

I'm just playing with you. Don't feel bad. We have beat Purdue and Northwestern twice in the past five years. It was a hell of a game. Too bad the only coverage I could get was an audio broadcast over the internet. Down 21-0, the Gophers showed some good resolve battling back.

Is your GPR affliated with an OMFS program that offers an intership and if it does do you get to spend time with them? That may be a convient way into an intership.

Is your GPR affliated with an OMFS program that offers an intership and if it does do you get to spend time with them? That may be a convient way into an intership.

Actually, the OMFS program here is the 6 yr/MD version and is extremely competitive. I'd prefer not to apply here even if it offers an internship. It'll feel embarrassing when they'll want to know my board scores.

Does anyone know of less competitive internships that often struggle to find any applicants? ( Like I said earlier, I don't care for its location, as long as it is in the US. BUT I want an internship where I can actually perform special OS procedures, instead of just standing and watching. And I don't care how well their interns eventually match into OS )

I think you're missing the point. It is a common misconception that OMFS intern positions are difficult to get into. This is probably because certain candidates with a nice CVs, good scores, blah, blah blah... Don't match and end up in these positions. If you are serious about doing an internship why on earth would you care about people knowing your scores.....that is ridiculous. I know that there are interns at "extremely competitive" programs with scores like yours who were simply willing to suck it up and ask. You are, after all, begging to get worked like a dog for a year.... You are way ahead of the game if you talk to the program directors before this years interviews.

Guys, I have another question.

Suppose I really do complete a one yr OS internship ( and perform at least average), and get at least an 88 on Part I retake.

But my dental/undergrad gpas and Part II scores are really weak.

Exactly how likely is it that I'll get accepted to an actual 4/6 yr OS residency? I'm trying to get a feel as to whether there's really any point at all to doing this.

Suppose I really do complete a one yr OS internship ( and perform at least average), and get at least an 88 on Part I retake.

Exactly how likely is it that I'll get accepted to an actual 4/6 yr OS residency? I'm trying to get a feel as to whether there's really any point at all to doing this.
The problem is that nobody can tell you for sure ahead of time. You'd be one of the outliers if you made it in to residency, but there are always a few outliers there. The only thing certain is that you have a 0% chance of matching if you give up.

6Yr program unlikely. You will have to go through the med school admission committee and they are more like a denial committee, at least at my program. The chance at a 4 year seems slim too, as most applicants have good GPA's and scores. Even with the right letters, it will be tough.

On another note, who said LIJ pays the most, and how much is that? I thought I pay the most, but could be wrong.

Internships are available at the 4 year programs in NYC, and are not impossible to get at all, think Lincoln, Caritas, Brooklyn, Woodhull. I have seen interns come and go, it is a very tough, thankless job. Some go on to OMFS programs, some burn out.

then would it help even more if I did something like 2 yrs of an oral surgery internship? What if I re-do dental school, this time as an advanced placement student?

then would it help even more if I did something like 2 yrs of an oral surgery internship? What if I re-do dental school, this time as an advanced placement student?

No need to re-do dental school. Plus you would have to be insane to want to go through that again and double your educational debt. If you will look at one of the first posts that replied to your original post, re-do Part I and do well, and you have a shot at getting in. So I'll say what was said earlier just to reiterate it for you: Retake Part I, not part II and don't re-do dental school. Contact any/all OMFS programs you are interested in. Pretty simple formula.

Since you didn't like the genuine advice somebody gave, why don't you just tell us what you want to hear? Then somebody can copy it back into a post and you'll get exactly the advice you're wanting.
Funny. =)

No, you passed Part II already, no one cares about Part II.
I don't understand why people don't care for Part II, because after all that is more clinically relevant to a dentist - it seems to make more sense for program directors to want people with high Part II rather than Part I.

I don't understand why people don't care for Part II, because after all that is more clinically relevant to a dentist - it seems to make more sense for program directors to want people with high Part II rather than Part I.

Most applicants apply during the 4th year when Part 2 results are not available yet.....so it cannot be used to compare most applicants and is therefore useless. Also, OMFS program directors don't care how well you can diagnose perio and class V caries...part 2 is for general dentistry and irrelevant for OMFS. They care about step I because the science knowledge-base part of OMFS is the most difficult aspect. In dental school, you learn it just for the test. In OMFS residency, you actually have to remember that stuff.

Have you gotten as far back as the 2006 threads yet?

Here are my STATS should I just hang up the idea of being an OMFS, because of my 82?

College GPA: 3.6
D-school GPA: 3.4
NBDE 1: 82
Research: Yes
Pretty Sweet CV: Volunteer, Leadership Etc...
OMFS Externships: One completed (1 Week), Two more planned (2 Weeks).
Perio Exterships: One (Two Weeks)

Last edited: