Post Bac Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nakanna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some advice. I am 26 and have been out of school for 4 years. Since then I have been working at a research institute as an analytical chemist. My original goal was to go to med school however after 4 years of college I decided that I need to get a way and try something else. However, I continue to feel the need to try to go to med school. I was hoping I might get some advice on a good approach to get back on track. I have been looking at several graduate programs and post-bac programs (I also need to boost the GPA some). Does anyone have advice on which post-bac programs are the most useful and successful. I would appreciate any advice especially from any other non-traditional students who have gone or are going through this process. I graduated with a degree in Chemistry and Biology with a ~3.1GPA (both science and overall), and my MCAT scores were 27 O (the scores are expired now).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a particular location in mind?

Also, which classes do you need to take? Or, are you planning on retaking them all to boost your GPA?

You can PM me if you don't want to make all this public.

Laurie

PS I'm 26 and just finished a post-bac year of bio courses at the University of Chicago. I previously worked as a computer programmer at a biotech company in Seattle.

nakanna, you came to the right place!

Your GPA and MCAT scores seem to be fine. If you need pre-req courses you can take those in any four-year college as a non-degree student. If you can get into a formal post-bacc program it can be better because formal programs many times have special advisors for pre-meds, speakers from medical schools that come to "recruit" you, and a pre-med committee that will save you tons of time in dealing with letters of recommendation.

My story (and advice) is long so I'll send you a private message.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you best and you can get into. Believe yourself.

Drexel (philadelphia,PA)has a great program:

I went through the IMS program (start aug) and its 1 year long and you take the same classes (biochem, microana, nutrition, physiology, immuno, neuro, and ethics) as the drexel med students. Great program....I know that PCOM loves the students from the program.

It also gives you a real experience(80%) of what med school will be like.

PM me with questions.

Do a search on google and put in the topic you are most interested in . When I was looking for a program a few years ago I did a search...... Typed in Microbiology master's programs.... I got to read about all kinds of programs all over the county. I really the one a University of Madison in Wisconsin.

I'm currently in Tulane's master's in Cell and Molecular Biology, which is geared towards pre-professional students. They really work hard to prepare you for admission, and are great at advising what coursework to take, MCAT, volunteer/shadowing experience, etc. There's a description on their website.

I went through similar with what you went through. I'm 26 now. PM me and we can go over your situation. I can help you sort your situation out such that you are on the right track.