Quarters vs. Semesters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiledoc2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any advantage to being on the quarter system versus the semester system? I am accustomed to semesters myself, but the dental school I will be attending in September runs on quarters. I feel I am in for bit of a shock. Has anyone made the transition? $0.01 for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently an undergrad going into the last year attending a school with the quarter system. So this may be different for dental school.

Pros: Classes you don't like won't drag on forever. It'll be done in 10wks (at my school).
Cons: If you fall behind, it's very difficult to catch up.

HTH

Smiledoc,
What dental school is on the quarter system? Just curious....I did my undergrad work on the quarter system and my grad work on the semester. I definitely like quarters better. They are shorter, but more intense. I like having the longer breaks also
smile.gif

I'll be attending UCSF, and they run on the 1/4 system. I think I'll like the fast pace and longer breaks, but don't look forward to finals...UCSF really dumps them on you all at once. Thanx for your guys comments.

------------------
Your talent is God's gift to you.
What you do with it is your gift back to God.
--Leo Buscaglia