Question About Medical School :)

sensorimotorstage

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All. I'm a 10th grader in the International Baccalaureate Programme. I've been aspiring to be an Orthopedic Surgeon (possibly sports med, or another specialty) since I was 12. That's besides the point, though.

I have been wondering whether my high school GPA, IB exams, and extracurriculars will effect me getting into Medical school at all, or if my undergraduate GPA and etc matter primarily.

I currently have a 3.8 Unweighted GPA, 4.5ish Weighted GPA, and plan on attending University of Florida (if I get accepted) for premed. So mainly, would High school effect my chances of getting into Harvard Medical, or UC San Francisco Medical, or is it mainly what happens in premed/undergrad.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and have a great night.

Thanks,
Kyle

Members don't see this ad.

lol nothing from high school matters.
med schools only care about college

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All. I'm a 10th grader in the International Baccalaureate Programme. I've been aspiring to be an Orthopedic Surgeon (possibly sports med, or another specialty) since I was 12. That's besides the point, though.

I have been wondering whether my high school GPA, IB exams, and extracurriculars will effect me getting into Medical school at all, or if my undergraduate GPA and etc matter primarily.

I currently have a 3.8 Unweighted GPA, 4.5ish Weighted GPA, and plan on attending University of Florida (if I get accepted) for premed. So mainly, would High school effect my chances of getting into Harvard Medical, or UC San Francisco Medical, or is it mainly what happens in premed/undergrad.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and have a great night.

Thanks,
Kyle
Wow you're like my twin. I was in IB, graduated with my IB diploma and graduated from UF. Your high school stats have no bearing upon your med school acceptance. Your extracurriculars don't really matter in highschool. For example, I have been volunteering with the underprivileged community since 9th grade. The only reason I mentioned that in apps was because I had still be working with that community into college and wanted to show them how dedicated I had been. But no meds schools really care about your high school EC's. USe your high schools EC's and passions to lead organizations in undergrad. that's what matters.

Reactions: 1 user
. So mainly, would High school effect my chances of getting into Harvard Medical, or UC San Francisco Medical, or is it mainly what happens in premed/undergrad

Why these schools specifically?

As previously mentioned your high school performance will have no bearing on your medical school application... unless you were charged with a crime during that time.

Why these schools specifically?
Because everyone in high school wants to go to Harvard medical, become an orthopedic/plastic surgeon and make mad bank, yo.

Careful not to get too focused on specific med schools. Especially not prestige of the school. UCSF and Harvard have almost nothing in common other than both being really prestigious.

If you do want some med schools to aspire to, and actually wanna be an ortho surgeon, you want to go to med schools that have alot of active ortho at their hospitals and have ortho residencies.

10th grade?
Adorable.
You have so much life growing to do between now and applying to med school. As much as it's admirable that you are planning things so early, try to really enjoy the next 6ish years of your life. You will be working your little tush off for the rest of your life if you get into med school. So while it's important to be academically prepared, take some time to also smell the roses along the way ^_^

Reactions: 1 users
lol nothing from high school matters.
med schools only care about college
I just opened my account for the first time since I made this post as I have just submitted to AACOMAS and am about to submit AMCAS at the end of the month. Actually made all of my stuff happen. Not applying to the schools I listed haha. I was a wide eyed kid then. Your advice is so true looking back. Love the counterparts profile pic.

Wow you're like my twin. I was in IB, graduated with my IB diploma and graduated from UF. Your high school stats have no bearing upon your med school acceptance. Your extracurriculars don't really matter in highschool. For example, I have been volunteering with the underprivileged community since 9th grade. The only reason I mentioned that in apps was because I had still be working with that community into college and wanted to show them how dedicated I had been. But no meds schools really care about your high school EC's. USe your high schools EC's and passions to lead organizations in undergrad. that's what matters.
I love that. I’m not quite the wide eyed kid I was when I made this post. I don’t even remember making it but looking back it made me happy to read how hungry I was to succeed back then. Graduated from UF! Go gators. Made it through and just dropped my DO applications, waiting for the end of this month to drop MD apps.