Quoted: Advice related to applying to med school

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question might best be posted in the non-trad forum, but I'll put it here for any who wish to answer

This is sort of a career question. Allow me to speak briefly about my background first and then hopefully I'll get to the point.

I am 24 years old; graduated in May 2007 with a B.S. degree in Biology (2.78 GPA accumulated). Currently unemployed (have been so ever since graduation). Job hunt hasn't been promising. What have I tried to fix this situation? I've tried to locate alumni that previously graduated with the same major as me or is working or have worked in the field that I am trying to get into. I have spent the summer re-evaluating my goals, dream and simply speaking self-reflection. I am stuck. I think I have exhausted my last braincell. :(

I think the situation I am in right now is very disoriented. What I meant by that is I can't seem to find certainty in anything. I am incompetent of gathering my scattered thoughts together. My priorities are as followed: 1) get a paying-job ASAP so I can move out of my sister's house, 2) move on with life (stop THINKING too much because shaping a perfect future is impossible), go out there and live life... Well I can go on but the rest are irrelevant to what I am about to ask.

I am trying to get a job in a research environment (academic institution or not). I am hoping to work as a research assistant for 2 plus-years and while working, I'll pick up some night classes (1. stay on track with my medical school path and 2. I need to prove to the admission committee that I can do this academically by giving them the "grades" and to show them I can do it.).

The problem is, most research assistant positions are taken by those who had acquired a higher degree than a B.S. (as I was told). I am hoping that I'll get lucky (soon), that someone will be willing to take me under his/her arms and teach me the techniques in lab. Frankly, I may not be the "A" student, but I know darn sure that if I put myself into something, I'll get at least a B and I am happy with a B if I had done my best. English is my second language. I've been in the US my whole life but honestly, I haven't fully adapted to the "American" culture. Thus, I do feel very insecured sometimes.

So why do I still want to pursue medicine? Why don't I try something else like getting an MBA? I don't want to give up on something just yet, not until I've exhausted my last seed. My last seed would be, get a job in the related field, get hands-on experience (shadowing and/or volunteering at a hospital or organization)... I want to try all those opportunities FIRST before I close the "Doctor" chapter. This is why I am here. I would like to hear you guys out.

Lastly, I spoke to an Alumni who is currently holding a Senior Scientist title at Pfizer earlier this morning and she said graduate school is a good option. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you so much for reading. Please feel free to ask me anything if anything I've said above is unclear. I am here to seek help and I know you guys cannot do your job if you can't understand me, so please ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Staying unemployed and thinking will get you nowhere. The only way you can get out of your rut is doing. I think getting a Masters degree is your best bet right now. What you need to show is that you can handle academics so getting a degree and doing well will be key for you. No job or hands on experience will make up for that 2.78 GPA, and night classes scattered here and there won't either.

One of the main concerns for any adcom will be can you handle the academic load so that will be your main objective.
The main thing you didn't address in your post is WHY you got the 2.78 GPA and why that wasn't representative of what you can do. Frankly the "I was born here but English is my second language and I haven't adapted to American culture" reason just doesn't hold water. Especially since you will be competing with plenty of candidates who have come to the US as adults and were still able to excel.

Another thing you haven't talked about is why you want to be a doctor vs something else. A vague yet burning desire is not enough to get you through.

I think you should approach this as a 3-4 year plan. Fist get a masters in 2 years and do well. Then do a post baccalaureate program in 1-2 years while working in a lab and take the MCAT (take a Kaplan course or similar for it). Then apply to med school.
Good luck, it's a hard road but it's not too late to follow your dreams.

Who ever told you that you need to get a Master's degree to work in Research has told you wrong information. You can get a research position with a B.Sc. You just need to look for them.

Start by going to websites like Monster.com, careerbuilder.com, and your schools career services. In addition, do not be afraid to contact temp agencies. Many large companies will hire you as a temp first to try you out and if they like you, they will offer you a permanent position. That is where you should begin.

Do not think about medical school at this time. You need to stay focused on one thing at a time. Once you get yourself a job, the next thing you should do is plan out your journey to medical school, if it still interests you. The reason I say this is because you may find yourself in a company that will pay for your advanced degree. However, they may require you pay them back in loyalty. Meaning they may require you to stay 1 year for each year of school they pay.

Start from here. Then come back and we can take it from there.