Quoted: Disadvantage in med school application?

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know your opinion on my situation and whether or not I qualify as a "disadvantaged" applicant to medical school. Do you recommend I apply disadvantaged? Do you feel there are any advantages to applying as disadvantaged? Would simply explaining my story in my personal statement have the same effect as applying disadvantaged?

My story:
During undergrad, my mother became seriously ill. The onset of her illness lasted about one year (my second year at school) and during this time, I went home each weekend (about 1.5 hour drive) to care for her and my family. Her illness quickly escalated and peaked during my third year. At this time, my mother had permanently lost all her hearing and was unable to do anything for herself. I left school for 7 months (summer and fall semesters) to become her primary caregiver. I also ran the household and took on the role of a second mother to my younger brother. I eventually returned to school, but I continued to visit home weekly as my mother's recovery was very slow. More than 2 years have passed since the worst of her illness and she has only made a partial recovery.

My mother has always been a pillar of strength for me and we had a very close, special bond. Watching her deteriorate was absolutely devastating. Lasting about 3 years, this entire experience was physically exhausting and emotionally draining. Constantly worrying about home and my family, I was simply unable to dedicate all of my attention to schoolwork and my grades suffered terribly. My education was extended by one year to compensate for the missing semester and repeat coursework.

Some background information:
I grew up in a wealthy suburb and attended an above-average public school. I received no financial assistance for my college education as tuition was paid for by my parents. I do not fall under the category of "economically disadvantaged".

Thank you in advance for your response!

I would not recommend using the "disadvantaged" term for this. I would simply tell your story in your essays.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with the above advice. In my opinion, disadvantaged status is used for applicants who have a pattern/history of adversity. And, yes, often times this means growing up in an underserved area and/or under socioeconomic difficulties and/or lacking educational resources and/or with a history of mental/physicial abuse. The idea is that these applicants may be able to better relate the underserved patient populations as a physician.

What you have is certainly a difficult situation but, nevertheless, seems to be an isolated incident. This is the type of thing that is perfect for the personal statement, secondary essays, and interviews.