Quoted: Huge gap in schooling

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been two similar questions asked about mental health issues, but I wanted to know something more specific. I was wondering how far back the admissions committee will look- will they be interested at all in my high school years? The reason I ask is that I missed my last 4 years of high school because of a severe depressive disorder. I have applied to a college to study science next year, and I was accepted despite my huge gap in schooling because I scored off the charts in the entrance exams. If I complete this course and then go on to do my pre-med year, will the admissions committee be concerned about my lack of schooling when the time comes to apply for medical school?
By the way, I have completed treatment for my disorder and I have been stable for about a year.
Thankyou for your time.

In general, what you did before college won't come up unless you bring it up. Some schools ask for SAT/ACT scores, but in general, it's a pretty clean slate starting college. At this point, I'd focus on doing the usual things that it takes to be successful in school, maintain your health and not be too worried about this aspect of your application.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if the following is true, but I heard a rumor that a few state medical lisences actually requirre that you graduate from high school/college, even if you have completed medical school and are in residency when you apply for a lisence. I cannot find anything to back this up and all the "evidence" I have is anecdotal and from foreign medical grads who did not need to go to high school in their country.

If you do have a high school diploma than there is nothing to worry about, but perhaps if you do not, maybe someone else could confirm or dispell this rumor?