Randomized trial: [Chemo]RT > TORS for HPV+ OPSCC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krukenberg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Clinical future is still bright in rad onc. ORATOR trial randomized patients to RT +\- chemo or TORS for T1-2N0-2. Swallow scores statistically superior in RT arm at 1 Year. To be presented at oral session at ASCO.

If deintensified RT works out this difference may be even greater.

Edit: ChemoRT if N+. Otherwise RT alone

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Clinical future is still bright in rad onc. ORATOR trial randomized patients to RT +\- chemo or TORS for T1-2N0-2. Swallow scores statistically superior in RT arm at 1 Year. To be presented at oral session at ASCO.

If deintensified RT works out this difference may be even greater.

Edit: ChemoRT if N+. Otherwise RT alone
Good luck getting aggressive ENTs to start referring to you. Some of them are just as bad as urologists, operating where they shouldn't be and calling it De-escalation

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck getting aggressive ENTs to start referring to you. Some of them are just as bad as urologists, operating where they shouldn't be and calling it De-escalation

We have ENTs who have threatened to stop referring for patients to us that they think are excellent TORS candidates. It’s clearly something not open for discussion at tumor board at some shops.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have ENTs who have threatened to stop referring for patients to us that they think are excellent TORS candidates. It’s clearly something not open for discussion at tumor board at some shops.
Looks like ENTs who want to do TORS, but can't, can get pretty.... TORSed about it. Boom.

Meh, I'm seeing how this is going to play out.

Argument that the difference in MDADI scores does not meed 'clinically significant' threshold set prior to the trial.

ENTs will argue that RT induced neutropenia, tinnitus, and constipation(? not sure how they're going to explain that one on RT) is worse than TORS induced trismus.

It'll end up being like prostate cancer. Different toxicities for different treatments, but as long as surgeons see them first they're going to push for surgery. I'm interested in what percentage of patients require adjuvant RT or chemoRT after TORS. In P16+ OPhx patients should almost never get surgery, chemo, and RT IMO.

For young patients at high probability of being managed successfully with TORS alone, I think this outcome will not push those patients more to RT.

I think all patients being considered for TORS should be discussed in a multidisciplinary tumor board and/or seen in consultation by both surgery and radiation oncology at minimum. However, I say the same thing about prostate cancer and it's all institution dependent.

But it is good to see some data suggesting that RT is better than surgery in this regard. If anyone is going to ASCO and has access to the slides after the presentation I would be very interested in seeing them rather than waiting 2+ years for the paper (probably).

Reactions: 1 users
Meh, I'm seeing how this is going to play out.

Argument that the difference in MDADI scores does not meed 'clinically significant' threshold set prior to the trial.

ENTs will argue that RT induced neutropenia, tinnitus, and constipation(? not sure how they're going to explain that one on RT) is worse than TORS induced trismus.

It'll end up being like prostate cancer. Different toxicities for different treatments, but as long as surgeons see them first they're going to push for surgery. I'm interested in what percentage of patients require adjuvant RT or chemoRT after TORS. In P16+ OPhx patients should almost never get surgery, chemo, and RT IMO.

For young patients at high probability of being managed successfully with TORS alone, I think this outcome will not push those patients more to RT.

I think all patients being considered for TORS should be discussed in a multidisciplinary tumor board and/or seen in consultation by both surgery and radiation oncology at minimum. However, I say the same thing about prostate cancer and it's all institution dependent.

But it is good to see some data suggesting that RT is better than surgery in this regard. If anyone is going to ASCO and has access to the slides after the presentation I would be very interested in seeing them rather than waiting 2+ years for the paper (probably).

Manuscript is under review

Reactions: 1 users
"Best Of" is still recruiting addressing the same question. However accrual rates are pretty bad...