Ranking of GPR/AEGD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psiyung

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there isn't a direct ranking for any programs, but I was wondering if anyone here knew which programs are regarded highly in the nation. Also, if anyone has information they would like to pass on UT Houston AEGD or GPR program(s) I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

San Antonio in the past has been very strong. The problem with this question is that the programs or only as strong as the program leaders and in academics this flucuates often. I have met the program director of UT Houston AEGD program Dr. Mayhew. He was the AEGD director of the Lackland Airforce base. Many Dentists in San Antonio speak highly of him. I a sure it is a good program. One downside is the pay; 20 Thousand is a pretty meager stipend.

Can anyone comment in general on the difference in procedures performed in these two programs? Does one do more endo? Crown and bridge? Restorative? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Really depends on the program.

GPRs are of course hospital based and you'll see patient, go on rotations through internal medicine, emergency medicine, anesthesia, etc. Some programs can have you on rotation (not seeing patients) for 4-6 months. You also get to cover the emergency room in the middle of the night and sew up peoples facial lacerations.

AEGDs are 12 months, you generally see patients the entire time, usually some course work, and usually more 9-5.

I think in general you may get more time in the dental clinic in AEGDs. Both types of programs do all general dentistry work (endo, operative, etc.)

My personal opinion is that if you come from a school that is weaker in the medical sciences then a GPR (I think) will teach you a lot about managing your medically compromised patients. If you come from a school strong in the medical sciences then an AEGD maybe better as a lot (but not all) of those rotations maybe redundant.

Of course their are many exceptions to everything I've said. Because all programs are different it is very difficult to compare the two. Have to interview at each one and see what you like.

psiyung said:
I know there isn't a direct ranking for any programs, but I was wondering if anyone here knew which programs are regarded highly in the nation. Also, if anyone has information they would like to pass on UT Houston AEGD or GPR program(s) I would really appreciate it.

I know some GPR programs use their results on the American Association of Hospital Dentistry (AAHD) exam (I'm pretty sure that's the name of it) to help compare themselves to other programs. So you could call programs and ask for how they did compared to the national average. Other than that, it depends on what you are looking for (hospital experience, clinical dentistry, implants etc). In my opinion, a highly regarded residency depends on the resident experience; are they happy, are they learning, what they're learning, would they do it again...etc...

I'm currently applying and have visited 5 different programs, I find the residents really let you know what to expect. The places I'm definitely going to apply to are the ones where the residents said that they would do another year there if they could.

Is GPR or AEGD better to improve the chances for ortho.

Dentist1 said:
Is GPR or AEGD better to improve the chances for ortho.

I don't think either one will increase your chance over the other. I certainly don't think either will hurt your chances. Therefore, I would say interview and and rank where you would be happiest.

What criteria do you use other than personal reasons to rank these programs?

Dentist1 said:
What criteria do you use other than personal reasons to rank these programs?

No other criteria. You have to interview to really determine where you should go. As far as choosing where to apply, again that's just a mixture of basically where you want to live for a year, word of mouth and $$Money$$.