Recommendations for child psychiatry program that meet specific criteria?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milan95

Reaction score
Hello, I am interested in CAP programs that meet the following criteria:
1. Excellent public transportation or walkability to sites
2. Great mentorship from involved faculty
3. Light call/weekend hours
Being located in a warm area is preferable not a requirement. It is more important that the first 3 criteria met, warm would be a bonus. Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not only have I never seen this, I’ve never heard of it. Eliminate all of Texas, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, New Mexico, Louisiana, and the Carolinas based on when I last checked.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I doubt you'll find any with no call. Most will have you as 3rd line of call so it's rare to get called, but may have to do some inpt to be board eligible. I know you do have to complete some emergency type training to be board eligible (on call or ER rotation).

Members don't see this ad :)
Not only have I never seen this, I’ve never heard of it. Eliminate all of Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Louisiana, and the Carolinas based on when I last checked.
Now, in Louisiana we have gators and crawfish. Please be kind.

Bring the crawfish and bring the love, big boy.

This is, um, funny...good luck to the OP!

Not only have I never seen this, I’ve never heard of it. Eliminate all of Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Louisiana, and the Carolinas based on when I last checked.
Thank you for the response! What is the lightest call schedule that you have seen, typically? I though certain places in Texas do have minimal call..and places in Cali with no call

Thank you for the response! What is the lightest call schedule that you have seen, typically? I though certain places in Texas do have minimal call..and places in Cali with no call

Minimal call is possible, but walking distance to all sites is maybe impossible.

If your child program does forensic work, it is unlikely to be at the academic center at all. You want some diversity to give you a well-rounded experience, but that will come with driving.

I got stuck on the first criteria the OP requested, which seemed deeply unlikely, and didn't even realize they'd also asked about no call and warm weather, lol.

Programs where you can get by without a car are most likely to be in cities in the northeast, so not exactly warm weather paradises. And you'd still most likely need to use public transit.

Maybe Montefiore. Great education. No calls. You can take the subway to the clinical sites.

Any of the Chicago programs except Northwestern have no call. You can probably take public transportation for Rush and UIC but you would definitely need a car for the inpatient sites at UChicago (in Highland Park). Weather can be hit or miss. There were a couple of days this past Feb when it was 74 degrees for some odd reason in the dead of winter, but it can dip down to the negatives. CAP is a small field and with 4 programs in relatively close proximity, I don't think you will have any issues finding mentorship.

Last edited:
I got stuck on the first criteria the OP requested, which seemed deeply unlikely, and didn't even realize they'd also asked about no call and warm weather, lol.

Programs where you can get by without a car are most likely to be in cities in the northeast, so not exactly warm weather paradises. And you'd still most likely need to use public transit.
Public transit is totally fine, I am willing to compromise on the weather, it is just preferable but the other criteria are much more important

Public transit is totally fine, I am willing to compromise on the weather, it is just preferable but the other criteria are much more important
While I am very pro public transit generally, the problem with making this a top criteria for a fellowship is that you are essentially giving a malus to programs that are going out of their way to expose you to a greater depth&breath of the field. Maybe in NYC you can find this all, but I don't think any other place in the country would ever be able to train you well without needing to travel to sites.

Just so you know how I handled this for a year in my fellowship without a car. I had one site that was about 45-50 minutes drive 1 day a week(35-40 miles maybe) and would rent a car that would come in for around $25/day to get there/back. I would snag any groceries I needed and then walk back from the rental spot. Otherwise regular public transit got me to other sites. Some people even Uber to distant sites and then you use that time to work/fill out surveys etc (this was more doable back when Uber was cheap from venture funding but I imagine could still be done in some cases).

Any of the Chicago programs except Northwestern have no call. You can probably take public transportation for Rush and UIC but you would definitely need a car for the inpatient sites at UChicago (in Highland Park). Weather can be hit or miss. There were a couple of days this past Feb when it was 74 degrees for some odd reason in the dead of winter, but it can dip down to the negatives. CAP is a small field and with 4 programs in relatively close proximity, I don't think you will have any issues finding mentorship.
To add some context to the public transport part, idk where U Chicago's psych facilities are but the actual university campus is next to a pretty bad neighborhood (Woodlawn is very block to block and is bad even by overall Chicago standards, Washington Park is bad altogether, would avoid both). Same to a slightly lesser extent for the medical campuses for Rush and UIC but there are buses that stop right on campus for the medical district in Chicago and the immediate area isn't as bad. Just stay away from the west side and don't go south of Roosevelt. NW is in by far the best area of these places, but they're a health system as well and have locations in the suburbs. No idea if fellows/residents have to go outside the city, but something to ask if one applies there.