Research at Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heeed!

On target, On time!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't a residency issue but I was hoping there was someone out there who could give me some info on this ADT. I'm considering this research opportunity to improve my residency applications. Any info on this ADT would be helpful.

For the masses, how much does research help your application?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Heeed!
I know this isn't a residency issue but I was hoping there was someone out there who could give me some info on this ADT. I'm considering this research opportunity to improve my residency applications. Any info on this ADT would be helpful.

For the masses, how much does research help your application?

i'm not familiar with the Radiology thing, but research is dependent on the specialty. i think the more competitive the program, the more research will be looked at. also, if i remember correctly research is one of the areas you can earn "points" for (in the point system they supposedly use to rank applicants). either way research can only be a good thing. if you're interested in radiology it's probably a good idea.

Heeed!

Good luck with your research opportunity. The summer after your first year is probably the best time to do it. Make sure you can get a publication out of it as a first or second author! I did HIV vaccine research last year in Kenya and we submitted our paper a couple of months ago for publication in a peer reviewed journal. I'm not looking at going into infectious diseases, but any research that you can do with a publication in a peer reviewed journal is worth 'bonus points'.

Selection for residency training is conducted by a Tri-Service Selection Committee with program directors and specialty consultants from the Air Force, Army and Navy (2-Star General is the GME Board President). We had the USAF/SG Radiology Consultant brief USUHS students on the Radiology (arguably one of the most selective) residency selection process a couple of months ago. I imagine each specialty will have formulas similar to this one for Radiology:

Medical School (5 points max):
MS1 - MS2 ------- 2 points
MS3 - MS4 ------- 3 points

Internship (5 points max):
Current Intern -- 3 points max (based on training report)

Field Experience as a physician (5 points max):
Based on Officer Performance Reports (OPRs)

Suitability (5 points max):
Based on clerkships, interviews and letters of recommendation

BONUS POINTS (6 points max):
Prior Military Service (prior to medical school):
Medical Experience ----- 2 points
Non-Medical ------------ 1 point

Research (Does NOT have to be in Radiology):
Multiple peer reviewed publications ------------------- 4 points
Single peer reviewed publication ---------------------- 3 points
Multiple publications in in-house journals/posters----- 2 points
Single publication in in-house journal/poster -------- 1 point

SUMMARY of SCORING:
Medical School ----------------- 5 points
Internship ---------------------- 5 points
Operational Tour --------------- 5 points
Suitability ---------------------- 5 points
Bonus --------------------------- 6 points

Maximum Score ---------------- 26 points

I think this scoring system puts it all into perspective because your MS 1 and MS 2 grades plus USMLE scores are only 5 out of 26 total points. As a PGY 1 applicant without a GMO tour or internship, we can only get 16 out of the 26 points which is why so many people become a Flight Surgeon, do research (or both) to get into a competitive residency. You can also do a transitional year after medical school and apply as a PGY 2 (to get another 3 points). The formulas for the other specialties are probably similar. Take care and good luck!

Falcon95
USUHS - MS 2

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems that just doing research isn't going to help you so much in the residency application process since you need to be published in order to get the bonus points. Would I be correct in assuming that there is really no chance of getting a publication after only a month or so at the radiobiology research ADT?

Falcon95-

I glad you recorded all that info from the mtg; didn't post earlier because I couldn't remember it.

I do seem to recall that although the research didn't have to be in Rads, they did say for Rads the research should have been conducted after matriculating at medical school. They weren't sure whether the stipulation of when you did your research applied to other GME programs.