Residencies and Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

commymommy

*reformed commymommy*
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just been reading some information about residency and fellowship programs thanks to some wonderful advice from Monkeyguts...Is anyone here currently doing or planning on doing a residency and/or fellowship? It seems like there are an incredible array of opportunities to specialize within pharmacy! :)

I am really getting excited about the idea of pharmacy. I've contacted the pharm. dept. at the hospital and am waiting for a call back. I hope that they can use a good volunteer ;)

kris

Members don't see this ad.

Residencies and fellowships offer a great opportunity to specialize and conduct research. However, they aren't for everyone. I was very close to completing a residency, however, I was offered a dream position....and decided to screw it. LOL :D
That being said, I think they are great for anyone who really wants to specialize in a particular area, if you aren't poor, burnt out, or both by the time you are finished school. Many Pharm.D. programs mimic a residency in the final year with very demanding rotations. You can expect a residency to be just as demanding as school if not more. If you wish at time go for it, but remember there are great possibilities even without a residency.

Thanks for the feedback.....It is fascinating to see the options available in the profession. A week ago, I was completely clueless and hadn't even considered pharmacy...now I'm realizing that the options availabe are really diverse.

kris

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just curious if anyone has any info about doing a fellowship or residencies in infectious diseases. i would after graduation i would like to go on and specalize in this field but i don't know it it would be worth it finacially. i think diseases and infectious diseases are facinating but are there job out there for people who specialize in this and is the pay any better?

Do most pharmacy schools have residency/fellowship opportunities? I know Rutgers does, because it is in close proximity to a ton of pharmaceutical companies...But what about other schools?...

"You can expect a residency to be just as demanding as school if not more."

Cheap slave labor. Unless you are going for the plum position that requires a "curriculum vitae" rather than a plain vanilla resume don't bother. You could work in the same facility at full wages and learn much of the same material OJT without the research, presentations, or stress.

but a fellowship or residency will set up apart from the thousands of other pharm d grads out there. and in the future when there is a lot of automation pharmacists will not be doing the filling and despensing duties like most of them do now.