Residency Fairs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long Hair and a Beard

Obsessionist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard about the education fairs held in med schools in US in which various residency programs participate. I am thinking of organizing something similar in September this year in our college as a part of our festival (in which medical students from all over India are invited).

Can someone help me with some details of how the fairs are held in the US? In particular, who provides the money? How many residency programs can one see in a good sized fair? Who are the people providing information - professors or residents or academic officials of the institution? Are there mostly one-to-one interactions or are there lectures and demonstrations? How many days? Are these fairs really helpful?

Any input would be welcome, as you can see from the naivety level of my questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Ran one of these myself for my school.

Generally, you are responsible for date setting keeping the match, school schedule and residency recruitment in mind. The residencies here generally pay for the transportation and bring all their own materials and displays. The school is generally responsible for space arrangements and advertising the residency fair. Just do whatever you need to make it work.

Good Luck.

Thanx newdoc.

I am afraid neither the visiting colleges nor my institute here will be willing to contribute for the fair. I will have to think of something in that regard.

As for the date, I am thinking of organizing it as a part of our festival. But the time is far from ideal. There will be a huge crowd for sure, but most of them would be second-third years, who would not be very interested in serious stuff like their future in the midst of a youth festival. Then again, the students of my own college will be busy organizing the festival, and miss the lectures and all.

Well all I can say right now that I will need to do much to make it work..