residency program question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppermint813

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I would like some explicit details about the residency training program after medical school that is needed to become an anesthesiologist. I specifically want to know if this is something I would be paying for or being paid for. I would like to know how many hours during the week I would be attending this program. I would also like some details of what I would be doing etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

After medical school, anesthesiology is a residency just like surgery or pediatrics. You complete one year of general training called a preliminary or transitional year in internal medicine, surgery, or a combination of specialties. Then three years of anesthesiology training. As with all other medical residencies you are paid during your training.

[i would also like to know what kind of classes specifically i should take in college. I understand that getting extremely good grades are important. What classes are going to be the most useful throughout my career?

Members don't see this ad :)
peppermint813 said:
[i would also like to know what kind of classes specifically i should take in college. I understand that getting extremely good grades are important. What classes are going to be the most useful throughout my career?

The only college classes you have to take are what medical schools require. Probably includes general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biology, math, etc. You can look on medical school websites to see a list of their pre-reqs. But seriously, I doubt you learn a single fact in class in college that will help you in your career as a doctor. Much more importantly will be learning skills like how to interact with a diverse group of people and figuring out how you learn best.

peppermint813 said:

You should check out the SDN Big Guide To Medical School, it's a link on the banner at the top of the page under "Applicants", but I've also put it here for you. This information is a good start, and the Pre-Allopathic or Pre-Osteopathic forums would be a better source for the information that you will need during your college years.

2ndyear said:
After medical school, anesthesiology is a residency just like surgery or pediatrics. You complete one year of general training called a preliminary or transitional year in internal medicine, surgery, or a combination of specialties. Then three years of anesthesiology training. As with all other medical residencies you are paid during your training.

What is the process for matching to a 3 year program? Do you do that during PGY 1 or can you do it during MS4 alongside your transitional slot match?

Mman said:
The only college classes you have to take are what medical schools require. Probably includes general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biology, math, etc. You can look on medical school websites to see a list of their pre-reqs. But seriously, I doubt you learn a single fact in class in college that will help you in your career as a doctor. Much more importantly will be learning skills like how to interact with a diverse group of people and figuring out how you learn best.

however, undergrad/college learning is much much different from med school learning (at least was for me)

But i agree, most of the things you learn in college you never end up using in med school. I'd say prob bio is really the only generally useful one, and maybe biochem. Anesthesiology, though, I found to be unique in its use of more in-depth chemistry than other medical fields. Radiologists actually use physics a lot (a section of their boards is physics). (dont know about radiation oncology). Those are the only ones I can think of that actually use more advanced science.

As a MS4 who has an undergrad degree in biology w/ a chemistry minor, if I had it to do over again, I'd major in something totally non-science related...something more practical for everyday life such as business. With exception of a few courses (biochem, a&p, pharm, etc), the science learned in undergrad doesn't really carry over into what you need to know in medical school. About 15-20% of the science I learned in college has helped me in med school, and all of that coming from courses which are required for medical school acceptance. It would have been nice supplementing the required courses with practical, useful-for-everyday living courses rather than science courses which I will never benefit from now.

...just my opinion

Best wishes :cool:

veetz said:
As a MS4 who has an undergrad degree in biology w/ a chemistry minor, if I had it to do over again, I'd major in something totally non-science related...something more practical for everyday life such as business. With exception of a few courses (biochem, a&p, pharm, etc), the science learned in undergrad doesn't really carry over into what you need to know in medical school. About 15-20% of the science I learned in college has helped me in med school, and all of that coming from courses which are required for medical school acceptance. It would have been nice supplementing the required courses with practical, useful-for-everyday living courses rather than science courses which I will never benefit from now.

...just my opinion

veetz is right on.

the science you learn from the 'required premed' classes is sufficient for med school. If I could do it all over again I would major in something aside from Biology as well. ALSO...if you could, the summer before med school, tk a biochem class at a community college or somewhere where it doesnt count. Why? Biochem kicks most med students a$$es . I found that students that took it before obviously did a lot better in it, while we newbies suffered :mad: :mad:

ThinkFast007 said:
veetz is right on.

the science you learn from the 'required premed' classes is sufficient for med school. If I could do it all over again I would major in something aside from Biology as well. ALSO...if you could, the summer before med school, tk a biochem class at a community college or somewhere where it doesnt count. Why? Biochem kicks most med students a$$es . I found that students that took it before obviously did a lot better in it, while we newbies suffered :mad: :mad:

i took biochem in undergrad, and while it helped a little bit in med school, the emphasis in med school biochem is totally different: more memorization of teeny details and less of having to understand the actual molecular science involved. It was still a challenge. So i'm not sure how much a community college biochem course is gonna really help.

I agree as well with majoring in something like business, however a science background does help, depending on what you want to do with your career. If you want to do research, definitely go for the hard science majors. Bioinformatics is the next big thing in research, and most CS majors don't know any bio (and vice versa), so if you do CS, premed, and med school, you're gonna be one HOT item. The catch is that not everyone can emerge from a CS major with a high GPA. If you can, I highly recommed this (if you want research in your career).

If i had to do it over again, i'd probably major in biology or neurosci, and not waste time with all those advanced chem courses (which, although fun, have been of absolutely no use to me). I prob wouldn't major in business just cause I don't enjoy it as much , but for ppl who do, it's invaluable knowledge.

veetz said:

...just my opinion

Thanks for your help. This website is the best piece of info. I currently work as a customer service rep for a cell phone service provider... I wanted to start getting into a medical field. I am kind of stuck however because my job will pay for all my college (not medical school). Is there any way after college or in the middle of medical school to get into a job in the medical field that would help me w medical school or atleast pay me as well as my current job to get me more on that side of the fence? Do you have any suggestions?

peppermint813 said:
Thanks for your help. This website is the best piece of info. I currently work as a customer service rep for a cell phone service provider... I wanted to start getting into a medical field. I am kind of stuck however because my job will pay for all my college (not medical school). Is there any way after college or in the middle of medical school to get into a job in the medical field that would help me w medical school or atleast pay me as well as my current job to get me more on that side of the fence? Do you have any suggestions?

:confused:

I'm not sure if I totally understand what you have in mind.

Usually med students take out loans (either federal or private loans, or a combination) to pay for med school. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to work a job while in med school. Not to mention earning enough to pay the cost of attendance.

The loans are paid off gradually once you start residency (or you can actually defer some loans until you finish residency). I see it as an investment.

In my opinion, the best course in undergrad to help you prepare for medschool Biochem is Cell Biology (a full year). Undergrad Biochem was more chemistry than 'Bio.' Medschool biochem is all memorizing metabolic pathways.