Rochester vs SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tgn11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am fortunate enough to be accepted by these two schools, but I have to make a decision within 4 days. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you!!!

Rochester:
Pro-
-Highly ranked, more well-known
-good medical education in general. seems like they design their curriculum to really cultivate a good doctor holistically, not just about passing exams.
-Good home residency programs (but I don’t really want to stay in Rochester for that long)
-Tons of research opportunities
-nice students

Con-
-location: far from friends and support system, not much to do besides study
-high tuition $6xxxx
-Having to establish a new life in a new area sounds intimidating, having to learn how to drive and get a car...
-not so diverse student body

->In general, I trust Rochester in that I would match to a good program after 4 years there, but I am just worried about my mental health since I am away from the city I am familiar with, away from good food, and my friends. I just think it’s a very good school but somehow I don’t belong there.

SUNY Downstate:
Pro-
-Location, I love to stay in NYC. I have all my friends here, better for my mental health since I am already dealing with Anxiety (My biggest concern)
-clinical exposure to urban population
-cheaper as an IS, $4xxxx
-I want to stay in NYC for residency
-Diverse student body

Con-
-not so much research-focused. I am worried about this since I don’t have much research experience coming into medical school, and I would like to make up for that during the 4 years.
-lack of support from school, bad admin, pretty much on my own.

-> In general, I think Downstate is not as good as Rochester in student support, research, or curriculum design…. But I just love to stay in NYC. My brain tells me to go to Rochester but my heart tells me the other.

*They are all p/f and have recordings.
Please feel free to share any comments. I appreciate any input. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

You hint several times in this post that you would not be happy leaving NYC. I think you will be successful and make the most of either school as they are two great options - but it seems like you think it would be easier to succeed with your support system nearby. (This is a completely valid point, and kudos to you for recognizing and admitting that!)

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Downstate is very up and coming, especially in regards to research support, funding, and infrastructure. It’s already extremely well regarded in terms of the education and clinical training you get which is also backed up by its match list. It’s a more recent shift they’ve had to grow their research capacity so I think the student focus on clinical and community work rather than research was self selecting. But with stronger students, faculty recruitment, and grants, the tides seem to be shifting. if anything, you have a way better opportunity at downstate to really make the most out of your time there and stand out in research.

Also I head from actual students the admin stuff is genuinely mainly just their admissions office. The faculty and actual med student admin really care about students and its not comprable to the admissions admin experience.

I think Downstate is a great option and you can have a wonderful time there, especially with your support system nearby, and would be the better option for you here!!

Reactions: 1 user