Dental Should I consider taking a W in this class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying to dental school in 2020. I’ll graduate just before I apply in 2020 and then I’ll take a gap year to work and spend some time with my wife and kid.

I’m struggling with a class/professor in my Senior year and I’m trying to figure out if I should withdraw from this class and take a different and more reasonable class next semester to fulfill the major requirement.

Some context: I have 3.98/3.98, this is a 2 credit class and I think if I go hard then I can pull a B. I have only A’s and two A- on my transcript for all generals, pre-dental classes and Microbiology courses so far. Would it be better to take the W and retain 3.98/3.98? Or get a B and end with 3.96/3.95. I have high goals to get into some great out-of-state schools and I want to stay as competitive as possible.

More context: I already have one W on my transcript but it was 0.5 credit Ice skating my freshman year because I was so sick of poor-fitting ice skates lol
A 3.95 is virtually no different than a 3.98.

Members don't see this ad.

I think 1 W and a 3.96 looks better than 2 W's and a 3.98 but anyone could argue the other way and I wouldn't think a day of it.

Look at the differences and decide yourself if 200th of a near perfect current GPA will keep you from getting in at a top performing out of state school. I think you may look back on this and realize how good of a spot you're in when comparing identical GPAs while others have greater feats to reach.

Either way, congrats on your studies thus far and good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.