Technology Should I get a Macbook Pro now or wait until a new release? Sale ends tomorrow.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The classic consumer dilemma! I don't want to buy a new macbook pro only to find out a completely new line of way better macbook pros come out 4 or 5 months later.

What do you techno-geniuses think? I could really use a laptop... plus they're quite cheap right now with the student discount (that ends tomorrow) at only $1099 15" 2gb ram, etc. This macbook rumor site says that it's a "neutral" time to buy and that it is in mid-cycle (link to it here) .

If they do come out with a new line this Christmas. Is mine going to be completely out-dated or will it be a smaller update? Ideas?

Should I wait who knows how long to get the latest macbook pro or get the macbook pro now while it is at it's good deal?

Quick replies, please!!!!! Sale ends tomorrow! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

You can expect to see the new line of Macbooks in October of this year. If you want the absolute latest and greatest, you can wait. However, the current line is great and will still be quite functional after the new line hits the shelves. You may even consider waiting for mad deals on refurbs after the new line comes out.

Take home point: The current MacBooks are great; however, of you musthave the absolute newest, wait a month or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait, macbooks came out last october and I think new ones will come out this october as well. Just wait a few weeks and you should see a few new ones.

Grab the great deals. Technology will always get outdated, so never buy something hoping that it will last "forever" since something new always comes around.

Grab the great deals. Technology will always get outdated, so never buy something hoping that it will last "forever" since something new always comes around.

While this is true over the long-term, there are key times during which it would be well worth waiting an extra month or two, especially with Apple products.

Unlike other computers which will have their retail prices decrease slowly with age until a replacement model is introduced, Apple computers do NOT have retail prices that steadily decrease for each model. Instead, they will still sell at the same price up until a replacement model is introduced. If you look back at the June '09 MacBook Pro 13" model that was introduced with significant improvements from its predecessor at a greatly reduced price, MacRumors forums were filled with those who just purchased the older model only weeks before who were very, very unhappy. There are indeed key moments in which the price you pay it out of proportion to the technology of the Apple computer. Unlike many other brands, it actually makes sense to buy an Apple computer when a new model is introduced, as its price will not fluctuate much at all later on.

The models being replaced will be discounted, but interestingly, they're not discounted all that much. Even the older models are sold at fairly high prices.

Although Apple tends to be secretive, their product life cycles are very consistent and well tracked.

That MacRumors site I listed above is almost mandatory for any serious Apple enthusiast to at least investigate before purchasing one. Unless of course money is no object to the purchaser.

I would wait, macbooks came out last october and I think new ones will come out this october as well. Just wait a few weeks and you should see a few new ones.

Buyer's remorse: I got an iPod nano in Feb. What did I just wind up buying yesterday? The new nano. :laugh:

Cool your jets. Oct. is only a week away.

ETA: Damn. I got my MacBook in Feb., too. If only I'd known they were going to update. Too bad my laptop was in extremis back then and had to be replaced.

Get thee behind me, Satan! :laugh:

You're a med student! You're supposed to be broke! How are you living so high on the hog? :laugh:
I have resources....

But it is nice. I justify it because next year I'll have to be reading tons of articles. So I'll just get the PDF format of them and keep them on the Kindle instead of having to have binders full of them

But the kindle works great for books

I have resources....

But it is nice. I justify it because next year I'll have to be reading tons of articles. So I'll just get the PDF format of them and keep them on the Kindle instead of having to have binders full of them

But the kindle works great for books

Yeah. I used to have "resources. "

Kindle will be my next acquisition. Not for a while. The remastered Beatles catalogue is next on my immediate list.

No, more likely a resident... med students typically have no money but residents on the other hand have money but no time to spend it.

So Fab, do you just prey on the new residents every year?

Actually, I work in an "attending only" zone. Not that that particularly makes me happy. I used to like having interns a residents to kick around. ;)

(I'M KIDDING about the "kicking around" part!!! I was very, very nice to students, interns and residents. Well, except for one, and he deserved it and no one liked him. :laugh:)