Soft/Hard cut offs for Step 1 for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Would appreciate any feedback on this.

Just got my step and level 1 scores back and I underperformed on both. (210-215 and 500-510). I'm interested in hospitalist medicine down the line and would like to match IM in the south east region, particularly SC, NC, GA, and FL. Due to family reasons, location is a big factor for me.

I see many programs list a minimum step/comlex score (often 220). My question is, how hard of a cut off is this for programs? If this is program-specific, what's the best way to go about figuring it out? Emailing programs and expressing interest?

Lastly, this is a stretch, but does anyone know specific IM programs in that region that have historically taken DO students with scores in that range? I have a big excel sheet tracking programs but I don't know what else to do except one-by-one go and find the data points online. Even then, I'm perplexed by which programs I should focus on, how many should I apply to, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. Would appreciate any feedback on this.

Just got my step and level 1 scores back and I underperformed on both. (210-215 and 500-510). I'm interested in hospitalist medicine down the line and would like to match IM in the south east region, particularly SC, NC, GA, and FL. Due to family reasons, location is a big factor for me.

I see many programs list a minimum step/comlex score (often 220). My question is, how hard of a cut off is this for programs? If this is program-specific, what's the best way to go about figuring it out? Emailing programs and expressing interest?

Lastly, this is a stretch, but does anyone know specific IM programs in that region that have historically taken DO students with scores in that range? I have a big excel sheet tracking programs but I don't know what else to do except one-by-one go and find the data points online. Even then, I'm perplexed by which programs I should focus on, how many should I apply to, etc.
The SE isn’t especially DO friendly, but should probably start looking on stats that have established DO schools...Ga and Fla come to mind.

Looks at the websites for programs that you are interested in and see if there are a decent number of DOs on the house staff

You'll be fine. I was a DO, albeit with higher stats (220/240), and got at least 15 interviews at southern university programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's program specific, and there's no way to figure it out. Some programs will even have different cut-offs for different applicants (USMD >200, DO >210, IMG >220, etc). Emailing programs to "express interest" is generally low yield unless you have a truly compelling reason to be at that specific program, and even then it's 50/50 if the PD is actually going to read your email.

If you want to go to a program, apply, regardless of their stated cut-offs. The only thing you have to lose is money, which ends up being a drop in the bucket compared to what you spend on your medical education. Applying to residency is not the time to be frugal (especially as a DO with low board scores).

It's program specific, and there's no way to figure it out. Some programs will even have different cut-offs for different applicants (USMD >200, DO >210, IMG >220, etc). Emailing programs to "express interest" is generally low yield unless you have a truly compelling reason to be at that specific program, and even then it's 50/50 if the PD is actually going to read your email.

If you want to go to a program, apply, regardless of their stated cut-offs. The only thing you have to lose is money, which ends up being a drop in the bucket compared to what you spend on your medical education. Applying to residency is not the time to be frugal (especially as a DO with low board scores).
With low Step 1 and COMLEX level 1 scores, is taking Step 2ck a must post merger for matching into IM?

With low Step 1 and COMLEX level 1 scores, is taking Step 2ck a must post merger for matching into IM?
Again this is probably program specific. I think the general advice is that it's always preferable for a DO to take both USMLE step 1 and 2ck. That being said, a poor score on ck wouldn't look good...