St. John's Detroit Mich, EM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Painter1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to share info on this program?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone care to share info on this program?

It's been a couple years since I interviewed there... my impression was a well-rounded training program, very happy residents, great facilities. Dr Irwin is a fairly prolific clinical researcher, so if you wanted to publish or wanted an academic mentor, you could certainly have a good one there.

A good friend of mine just graduated from the program and he is a great ER doc. Anyway the program is mainly defined by their program director, Dr. Benson. He is well known amongst all of the people who interviewed with him. Almost everyone has a story about their interview with him. Most of the time I talked to him about hockey (he is a big time hockey player and two of his daughters play, one on scholarship at MSU). We could probably start a thread that would be very entertaining just discussing his interviews. I have several friends from medical school that are residents there currently and they all seem happy. I am not a resident there so I can't really offer more than this.

Members don't see this ad :)
One more thing to add: It is in Detroit which is a great place to train.:)

A good friend of mine just graduated from the program and he is a great ER doc. Anyway the program is mainly defined by their program director, Dr. Benson. He is well known amongst all of the people who interviewed with him. Almost everyone has a story about their interview with him. Most of the time I talked to him about hockey (he is a big time hockey player and two of his daughters play, one on scholarship at MSU). We could probably start a thread that would be very entertaining just discussing his interviews. I have several friends from medical school that are residents there currently and they all seem happy. I am not a resident there so I can't really offer more than this.

I talked with him about hockey and beer...

I talked about hockey (thank goodness!), divorce, cheating on your wife & driving a motorcycle too fast, depression/antidepressants and those kinds of things...

That being said, my gut feeling about a few programs was different than other people's b/c of my unique situation going into EM. :love:

I'm a second year resident there. what would you like to know?

We are treated extremely well, the staff appreciates us, when we are rotators, the attendings can be cooler to us than their own residents b/c we work harder. Granted we do work a lot, but residency is short lived and you gotta put your time in to see stuff.

let me know