SUP alll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
list me everything that you need to get in to dental school for sure... thanks =)

The confused freshman... =)

Members don't see this ad.

You need many of the same things to get into dental school as you do med school, with a few differences.

1) same undergrad coursework:
1 year general bio
1 year general chem
1 year organic chem
1 year English
1 year physics (although not tested on DAT)
other upper level courses desirable (math, biochem, fine arts, etc.)

2) recommendations from prof's, employers, etc.

3) DAT (Dental Admission Test) instead of MCAT;
tests same basic sciences as MCAT in one section, except no physics. Instead of physics, you have a "Perceptual Ability" section which tests your 2-D and 3-D perception. Also, reading comp section (only scientific psgs) and math section. Note that the test is only offered on the computer. Kinda changes some of your strategies.

4) standardized application w/essay
(AADSAS application)=American Association of Dental Schools Application Service

5) some schools have secondary app's you fill out in addition to the AADSAS application

6) interview: most schools require it, but you need to be invited for one once they evaluate all your other credentials.

7) research is desirable, as in medicine, but not an absolute requirement

8) extracurriculars related to people, manual dexterity, dentistry....

Check out the dental web sites on the Student DR homepage--I think AADS and ADA (American Dental Association) are there... There are a bunch of good pre-dent sites out there once you start surfing. Here's the AADS site: http://www.aads.jhu.edu

Most "pre-med" advisors also serve as "pre-dent" advisors, although they may or may not be terribly knowledgable about getting into dental school.

Good luck to you if you decide on dentistry!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by DentalDi (edited 03-07-2000).]

I also have questions regarding dental schools:
1.) Do they look more favorably on those applicants that have dentistry experience (i.e. have worked in dental office etc) verses regular research experience?

2.) Will doing my Master's help me since my undergrad grades aren't competitive? GPA 2.84 last 56 hours.

Thanks!
Aaliyah in San Anton

Hi Aaliyah,

I can't tell you if working in a dental office is more valuable than doing research--they're both great experience! I do know that dental schools want people to have knowledge of the dental profession--I suppose that could be by shadowing a dentist or working in a dental office. I've heard of dental assistants who decide that they want to pursue dentistry. Research experience is always good (but, since I've been a Research Assistant for over 6 years, I'm a little biased). Do you have a personal interest in gaining one type of experience (dental/research)? A lot probably depends on what other things you've been involved in (in terms of "rounding out" your application). But, the emphasis on one or the other probably depends on the particular school. You could probably call up an admissions office or two and ask for some advice given your background. A lot of people in admissions offices are willing to counsel you before you apply, so if there is a dental school near you, see if you can make an appt. to discuss your situation before you apply.

Again, w/grades, talk to people in admissions. I have heard people say that if you have a low GPA as an undergrad that you can do either a post-bac program or a masters to "prove yourself." Yet, be forewarned that you'd probably have to finish that masters degree before starting dental school. (Again, this is worth checking w/an admissions officer.) Since a master's is graduate level work, it would not change your undergrad GPA on the AADSAS application, but at least you'd have a degree (compared to none w/a post-bac) when you're done!

------------------
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
--Eleanor Roosevelt