Supportive colleagues in PP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GassedOut12

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Been talking to a lot of people about PP and academics in IL. Anybody have a supportive environment in either one? Lot of it seems like fend for yourself. They don’t care if you make a mistake in a new place.

Who has a good change without lot of judging and getting acclimated?

Members don't see this ad.

Been talking to a lot of people about PP and academics in IL. Anybody have a supportive environment in either one? Lot of it seems like fend for yourself. They don’t care if you make a mistake in a new place.

Who has a good change without lot of judging and getting acclimated?

In my place, I ask the regulars any preferences the surgeons have. Not that I care so much, I just want to go with the flow as long as it is safe. Some want bier block. Fxxk it, get lma or another anesthesiologist.

In the or, I am pretty much on my own. May get help to start a ped case. Sdn rockstars can do bagging and iv at the same time, I am not a rockstar.

People are nicer than in NE. You will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
In my place, I ask the regulars any preferences the surgeons have. Not that I care so much, I just want to go with the flow as long as it is safe. Some want bier block. Fxxk it, get lma or another anesthesiologist.

In the or, I am pretty much on my own. May get help to start a ped case. Sdn rockstars can do bagging and iv at the same time, I am not a rockstar.

People are nicer than in NE. You will be fine.

Why dont you do a bier block? 30cc 0.5% lidocaine works great. Seems very safe.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
biwr blocks are stupid but why is it that big of a deal?
Agree with stupid. But dinosaurs doing carpal might want it.

Tourniquet and IV already there. OR. Monitors. Propofol. Esmarch. Inflate distal then proximal tourniquet to 250+. Take off Esmarch. Inject 40ml Lido 0.5. Take out IV. Wait 5 min.

Missing something?

Tourniquet and IV already there. OR. Monitors. Propofol. Esmarch. Inflate distal then proximal tourniquet to 250+. Take off Esmarch. Inject 40ml Lido 0.5. Take out IV. Wait 5 min.

Missing something?

No IV is not there. All these steps take time. Everyone (except surgeon) in the OR hates it.

Yes, it is not a big deal. It is not a big deal either that I use LMA.

Not in IL, but I've found others in my PP group are very supportive. They want the group to succeed, which means they want everyone in the group to shine. I've been called into rooms to help with a difficult procedure here and there, so I know that if I needed help, people would come (someone's generally between cases, and our OB person is often not too busy to help). I would add that when a new hand surgeon came and expressed his preference for Bier blocks, the group resisted, primarily on the grounds of safety, but also efficiency and lack of familiarity (only a couple of us had done Beir blocks in the last few years). I actually thought the group's response was maybe al little agro, but the surgeon said he'd do whatever. Some get ax blocks, some get local.

No IV is not there. All these steps take time. Everyone (except surgeon) in the OR hates it.

If it isn’t a big deal why are you so dogmatic about it?

Reactions: 1 users
Bier blocks are straightforward...hard for me to imagine why some of us would whine about it. But I have some partners who whine about everything. And yes, some who are great and would help with anything.

Just too anxious about making the right next move. Maybe slight depressed. Barely sleep.

Good groups mostly disappeared. Now a cog in a big machine. Ready to be discarded the minute something goes wrong.

Missing something?
Haven’t done one in so long I don’t even remember all the steps. We just do MACs for Carpal Tunnel. I had to look this up once last year. Hahah

Easy fix. Have the patient get two IVs in preop if the surgeon wants Bier Block. Not a big deal. Why make a fuss about something so simple? An extra two steps. Woohoo!! Big deal.

Just too anxious about making the right next move. Maybe slight depressed. Barely sleep.

Good groups mostly disappeared. Now a cog in a big machine. Ready to be discarded the minute something goes wrong.
Are you single? Then do locums. Do you have a spouse who doesn’t mind alone time away from you? Then do locums. Unsure about your kid situation and whether you can leave them for short or longer periods of time.
Stay away from academics if you want more peace. Too many egos and too much drama in academics.

Very unlikely to be discarded nowadays unless you break a law. Most groups are more desperate than you. Even if the group blows up, the hospital will still need you and offer you incentives to stay. There has also never been a better time to try something and jump ship to another job if you end up disliking your first place. You have the upper hand.

Last edited:
I think my division is very supportive- all but one or two will swap a call, take a call, get you out early, give you a week vacation if you want it, etc. I feel like we look out for each other - how we pay each other helps… extra work means extra $…. And we are big enough to tolerate a wide variety of how much people want to work.