Terrible Undergrad GPA-improving my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jui Naik

Reaction score
I studied biology in undergrad at UNC, and made very poor grades. I honestly did not take school as seriously as I should, and ended up with a 2.9 GPA. My science grades were very poor, the most embarrassing part being when I failed organic chemistry twice.

I graduated in 2019 and have been working at a reputable Pharmaceutical company since. I have been diagnosed with ADHD (which, while doesn’t fully explain my poor grades, definitely contributed). I am feeling extremely unfulfilled however, and am considering a career change.

I am considering fully retaking all PT prerequisites, and potentially organic chemistry simply to make up for failing it. Additionally, I will of course take the GRE and get my observation hours. I recognize that this will be a years long process.

Do you think this would be a wasted effort? Would any PT schools even accept me? Schools will still see my poor undergrad grades, even if I retake Biol 101/102, Chem 101/102, Physics 101/102, and Anatomy/Physiology and do very well. I do think that I would get a good GRE score, since I am historically good at taking standardized tests, and hope to find a few good observation locations.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not continue to work with the pharmaceutical company? You could always look for a new job in the same field if you're burned out with your current employer. Personally I think you earning a living the past 3 years is just as a fulfilling experience as any DPT program that overcharges for a doctorate degree. But the grass is always greener I suppose.

Although all I’ve wanted to do is become a DPT all my life, I don’t think it’s worth going through that much trouble to join, especially if you’re making similar with the potential to make more money than an entry level DPT and then the next 5 years. If you’re making the same or more, just stick it out and see if you can expand your expertise and certifications in your respective field.