The amount of time spent in clinical practice vs OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Last Reclaimer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried to keep the title short. My question is, how long per week does a practicing pod work in the clinic vs the operating room? 3/4 in clinic and 1/4 in OR? Perhaps it's 50/50?

Im guessing the answer is "it really depends on where you're working after residency."

If someone could clarify that be great! Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You answered your own question... So much variability. Youd probably expect more surgery w/ Ortho or hosp gig. More clinic w/ PP.

Don’t forget “add-on” hospital surgeries (surgical emergencies) are usually before or after hours, so that also makes this a loaded question.

Me personally 4 days clinic. 1 full day OR.
I commonly operate after clinic and on weekends (which really gets old hence me cutting diabetic care out)

Reactions: 1 user
I am usually avg of 4/1 clinic/surg days with a few weekend or early/late add-ons when on call. That is probably average... could be two weeks with no surgery and then 5+ in a week or usually just 1-3 per week. A lot of the on-call stuff can be staged (amp/washout then later closure, ex-fix then ORIF, etc). When it rains it pours.

Ortho group pods or ones who do the bulk of their large DPM group's surgery or just market aggressively as surgeons might be 3.5/1.5 or even 3/2 due to referral patterns. I think it's very unlikely to go much above that since we don't have PAs see most of our post-ops like many orthos do (at least I've never seen that for a podiatrist - regardless of practice situ).

...this has been a weird 2020 year. We had a lot of pent up surgery demand from elective surgery in spring/summer being shut down due to COVID. I was just starting to get caught up... now, they are shutting it down again (only infections/trauma/etc surgery) or teetering on that in a lot of places.

Reactions: 1 user