Thinking about leaving vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theSAvet

Reaction score
I’m 5 weeks into 2nd semester and I’m done. Physically, emotionally, mentally done. I’ve been studying 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and I’m doing poorly on my exams. I admit that I could probably be using better study methods but I just don’t have the tools to do that at the moment and I can’t see myself trying to learn a new way of studying in the midst of trying to study for this semester. I have honestly reached a point where I just don’t care any more. My grades aren’t reflective of the work I’m putting in and I’m done trying. I’ve looked into transferring to a different school that has a more traditional course structure but I feel trapped where I am now because my first semester grades are ok, but I don’t see them improving in this semester. I have wanted to be a veterinarian for the longest time but I just don’t want to do it any more if it’s going to be at the cost of my mental and physical health. But if I give up, I have no idea what to do with my life after this. Most of this post is just a rant and to get my thoughts out of my head but would also appreciate advice. I’m angry that I’ve been unhappy every day on this journey to my “dream job”. Is it really my dream if I’m so unhappy trying to get there?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Do you have counseling of some kind available at your school?

From what you're describing it sounds to me like you are burning yourself out. 12 hours a day, 7 days a week of studying is not sustainable. It's going to be much better for your brain and learning to give yourself breaks and figure out how to be efficient in your studying. And yes, that is difficult to do in the middle of a semester, but you can start working on it and I think you'll see improvements. For instance, I never studied more than a few hours after class each weekday, always took Friday night and at least half of a weekend day off.

But I really do think it would be beneficial to talk to someone within the school for help, if that's available. If not counseling then at least reaching out to your professors for advice on how to do better in their classes, or classmates to see what study methods have worked for them. You're right that it should not be at the cost of your physical and mental health, however keep in mind that vet school is entirely different from being a vet. Of course the latter comes with a whole host of its own challenges, but they are not the same.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with Dubz on counseling.

But also, you're studying too much. You need to give your brain time to process what you're learning, and the idea of "I need to study all the time" doesn't do that - nor does it help you. All it does is ruin your mental health and reinforce ineffective study habits.

You said that you don't have time to try new methods, but you're never going to feel like you have time to try new methods, the pace of vet school is too fast. You need to just commit to trying something new. What methods are you using right now? How did you study in undergrad? Trying new study methods when you feel like you're struggling already is scary, and I understand that, but right now, you're running yourself to death on a hamster wheel to get to your destination instead of trying walking to get there (or using a moving walkway).

Are you studying by yourself or with other people?

You know that what you're doing right now isn't working. You need to try other things.

How are you feeling during exams? What do you feel like is tripping you up? Is it content, or particular kinds of questions?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Echoing everyone else - you are studying too much and you need a break to process information and retain it, and also to feel like a happy human.

Find someone to help you with your study habits - tutors, school provided resources, etc.

Everyone will have something different that works for them. My personal priority of studying matetial was:

1. Things that interested me (because they were intrinsically motivating)

2. Things that had a high return ratio on study time to exam points.

(ie if one instructor presented 20 slides worth of material and it was worth the same on an exam as a different lecture with 100 slides of material... that 20 slide lecture was getting more attention)

3. Things that would be helpful to me in my chosen career field

4. Things I didn't care about, weren't particularly relevant to my chosen career, and/or would take me a long time to study.

I definitely sacrificed knowledge / test points on specific topics (looking at you, horse leg anatomy... I probably only ever knew 50% of the material for that.) But, I kept my sanity and made up for it by being a stronger student in areas that I cared more about / were easier to study because they got more of my attention.

And, for what it's worth, the stuff I glossed over during vet school impacts my day to day career a negligible to non-existent amount. I'm never gonna do surgery on a horse. If I ever have to fix a horse's orthopedic problem I would be on my 12th career choice. So I honestly just never bothered to learn it well. Big picture stuff that I could build on if I needed to learn that topic better later? Sure. Details? Absolutely not.

First, I’d consider asking for a leave of absence so you can address the massive burn out you’re feeling. It would be challenging to make a decision in your current state of mind. Not encouraging you to continue per se, but to get some breathing room so you can gather your thoughts, reflect on your experiences and study habits and plan for the future. I have lots of thoughts on maintaining (or at least trying to protect) mental health through vet school but none of it is going to be helpful if you’re completely taxed. You need a conplete break, full stop. Listen to your body and take it, please.

I withdrew from school 10 years ago and I wish someone would have told to talk it over with a mental health counselor and to make sure to withdraw the correct way (like a medical withdrawal) so I could set myself up for success in the future. It was really hard for anyone around me to understand what was going through my head at the time so if you want a listening ear please feel free to DM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I just want to echo absolutely everything everyone else has said - STRONGLY recommend talking to a mental health professional about how you're feeling, or at minimum talk to your professors or whatever Dean is available for student issues. Focus on big-picture concepts, and if your lectures offer learning objectives, focus on those. Every single small detail is NOT going to be equally relevant to large overarching concepts & understanding.

Also, just in case no one's told you yet...unless you are DEAD SET on doing a competitive residency, no one cares about your grades when you graduate! Yes, you have to meet whatever minimum standards your school is setting to remain in good standing, but that does not mean As, or even generally Bs. You could get straight Bs & Cs and (likely) get through vet school just fine. It was hard for me last year to give up the idea of MUST GET As that had been guiding me for the previous 5 years of schoolwork to get into vet school, but you're going to get diminishing returns from studying 12 hours a day just to bump up from a B to an A. Focus on what concepts will be important & relevant to your long-term knowledge as a veterinarian, not whether you can perfectly name the stay apparatus on a horse's leg when you're planning to go into small animal GP! (I'm not meaning to condescend or upset you if your grades are lower than this, but I figured I'd just mention it in case your idea of "poor" grades doesn't jive with what are actually "poor.")