tufts post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toco

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

i have a 3.24 overall gpa. however, i have a positive grade trend. i had a 3.0 through my sophomore year transferred and maintained a 3.45 through junior and senior year. i need all of my pre reqs. my main question is what would my chances be of getting into the tufts post bacc program? and in aroundabout sort of way what might my chances being of getting into any other formal program, specifically in new england. once in tufts, i've read on the their website that so long as you maintain a specific gpa you are automatically invited for an interview there. however, i have heard rumors that as long as you maintain that gpa in their post bacc program and just take the mcat you will get admitted to tufts med school. does anybody know if the later is true? any other information that anybody can provide is much appreciated.

thank you
toco

Members don't see this ad.

Toco,

I did my undergrad at Tufts. I evaluated their post bacc program, but ultimately decided against it, mostly due to cost. There is no absolute guarantee that you will get into Tufts Med. A guaranteed interview is one thing, but even a 4.0 GPA as a post-bacc does not guarantee you an acceptance. That is a lot of money to pay (I think 3K per class) for just an interview.

Regarding your chances to get in to the post-bacc program, you probably have a shot, but you need some health care experience.

Brandeis has a lesser known post-bacc program, and I believe that if you maintain a certain GPA and MCAT score, I think you're guaranteed admission to one of two schools. I think George Washington is one of them. Either way, that is a lot better than a guaranteed interview. Check their website for more info.

Hope that helps.

n = 1, but at least a litlle data.

I had a shaky undergrad (3.0, no science).
Did my post bacc at Tufts (and did very well).
Thought the classes actually were decent prep for the MCAT (and did well on that as a result).
Got into several MSTPs (and alot of straight MDs as well).

Now, I'm not sure if Tufts was the only reason, but having done very well there certainly did help. Also, the administration there worked very hard to support the application of their students (and I know that director is still there as I keep in touch).

This was a few years ago, however. Wherever you go, be sure to ace everything in the post-bacc as it does make a difference.

Sorry I can't offer more up-to-date info.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to their web site, they do have a consortial option with Tufts Medical School. I believe it's a 3.4 that you need to maintain. However, I am pretty sure you still need to go through the application process (interviewing, essays, etc.) and assuming they think you are a good candidate, they give you a provisional acceptance based on you maintaining the required GPA. They also have a consortial option with UNECOM if you are interested in osteopathic medicine, I'm not sure what the details on that are, though.

thank you for the replies. realizing that things change every year and that one can never be sure, I still wonder if anybody could tell me (with the 3.24 gpa) if i have no shot, a good shot, or close to a guaranteed shot of getting into tufts should i choose to go.

thanks again for your replies

Toco,

I dont know much about getting into Med School (i always wanted to do dental), but i can repeat to you what the premed/dent advisor at my undergrad school (UMASS Amherst) has been telling the pre-meds.

He always said that successful applicants have 3.5 and above, in some cases, even 3.6.

but GPA is not all that counts. MCAT plays a great part into your application as well. I Know people with 3.8 GPA and 34 MCAT who last year got rejected from many schools. why?? i dont know. at the same time you always hear that people with 3.4's and 27 MCATs get in. my suggestion to you is to do REALLY REALLY well this year. and do your best on your interview... then, i'd say your chances would be OK.

are thinking about other med schools as well? maybe some not as competitive as Tufts... you have a good shot at Osteopathic school.

Good luck to you,

Comet

Originally posted by ncalcate
Toco,

I did my undergrad at Tufts. I evaluated their post bacc program, but ultimately decided against it, mostly due to cost. There is no absolute guarantee that you will get into Tufts Med. A guaranteed interview is one thing, but even a 4.0 GPA as a post-bacc does not guarantee you an acceptance. That is a lot of money to pay (I think 3K per class) for just an interview.

Regarding your chances to get in to the post-bacc program, you probably have a shot, but you need some health care experience.

Brandeis has a lesser known post-bacc program, and I believe that if you maintain a certain GPA and MCAT score, I think you're guaranteed admission to one of two schools. I think George Washington is one of them. Either way, that is a lot better than a guaranteed interview. Check their website for more info.

Hope that helps.

Late response. I talked to Jennifer Lewis the person at the postbacc program at Brandeis. Their program has a very good acceptance rate. She mentioned one person who didn't get accepted to med school because he/she didn't put the effort.
If you want contact info on Jennifer Lewis PM me.