U Pitt screens and I got one???? Makes no sense!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,
I wasn't in my wildest dreams thinking that I would NOT get screened out. I kept thinking that the only reason I am getting secondaries is because schools are not screening...and they haven't seen my app yet.

And now I got the U Pitt email where they said they reviewed my app and want to extend a secondary to me. Should i be happy? What could they see in my application??? How many people actually get the U Pitt secondary and why am I getting one?

Trust me, I am not complaining...I'm just in shock that they didn't screen me out. What gives????

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you expecting to get screened out? Just curious. :confused:

3.37 undergrad GPA and 7/10/10/Q on the MCAT. That's why.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Those stats aren't that bad. :)

LOL, you're kidding me, right??? 7 on verbal is pretty much gonna kill me (well, perhaps it's not as bad as i thought...but still, it's BAD). This is why I'm wondering how many people actually get the damn thing...should I even bother filling it out or are they just sending me the app for my money? :(

I don't want them to tease me like this. :confused:

someone on this board already got rejected, so they are screening (unless that person made it up).

i got one and haven't taken the mcat yet.

tweetie-
is your amcas verified and submitted? or is this after them receiving only your primary info?

p

No, I'm not kidding. :) Your stats aren't great, but they are certainly not horrible. From what I've read on your other posts, it seems like you have lots of good ECs too, so that should make up for it. I think we should all remember that while numbers do play a big part, they are certainly not everything.

Wahoo and Lola: Thank you so much for the kind words. I guess I need to have a little more faith in my application. It's just weird to not expect anything and BOOM...it certainly feels good. :) If I ever get an interview and finally an acceptance at any school, I might just get a heart attack.... LOL

Polo: my AMCAS got to them a while ago. This is after it got submitted/verified etc etc. They even said they "reviewed my file." Strange, huh?

I think since Lola get a secondary without MCAT, I'm just going to convince myself that they don't screen. This way, I don't stand to get hurt if I don't get an interview.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird

I hope I don't sound mean or discouraging, but while it certainly is good that you made the screen, Pitt's screening process is not extremely stringent. The only people I know who did not make the screen were a guy with NO EC's whatsoever and a guy with a 2.6 GPA and 18 MCAT. I had similar average stats as yours, 3.62, 29Q MCAT (on retake, 9 on VR), and I received a secondary from Pitt one week after AMCAS sent my primary app. I was rejected in Dec. 2000 w/o interview (which sucked cause Pitt was one of my very top choices). However, if you can raise your score on the August MCAT or attended a really high-profile undergrad like Harvard or Duke, your chances are probably much better than mine were even though your GPA is a little lower. Pitt tends to like people with unique experiences in volunteering and/or research and to some degree PA residents. You might improve your chances by writing Pitt a letter to let them know you are very interested in visiting the school and interviewing there. g'luck!

Tweetie,
But they do screen! It's best not to get your hopes up of course, but you should give yourself a pat on the back for getting a secondary. Even if they don't screen too heavily, they liked you enough to give you a secondary! WOO HOO!!! Let's hear it for us! :clap:
7 verbal's not going to kill you b/c you spent a significant portion of your childhood in a non-English speaking country! It doesn't look great, but I'm sure some people will be able to look past it. Good Luck!

Thanks so much guys!!!

Boy this is getting exciting.....anybody else feelin it?

Members don't see this ad :)
High Five Tweetie!

Whether they're screening with a fishing net or filter paper it still feels good to get them secondaries.

Maybe we'll meet if they decide to give us interviews :)

No. I don't want to do that beast again. I am going to try and brave the bumpy ride with these stats.

Ok, now, I'm confused!!! My stats are a bit higher, but I was rejected FIRST THING!

:eek:

:( I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you have ECs? As per Katie, they don't sieve that much....so....
And what do you mean by "rejected??" they sent you a rejection letter before or after you sent in the secondary??

:( I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you have ECs? As per Katie, they don't sieve that much....so....
And what do you mean by "rejected??" they sent you a rejection letter before or after you sent in the secondary??

Not many ECs, mostly honor societies. Yeah, a real rejection. Letter after the AMCAS, no secondary.

:mad:

Originally posted by kaos

Not many ECs, mostly honor societies. Yeah, a real rejection. Letter after the AMCAS, no secondary.

I recommend that you contact Pitt and confirm that there has been no mistake made. I understand that some schools had rejection letter problems in the last application cycle. So, it is conceivable that your rejection letter may be an error.

Damn that's tough. :( I would call them too, just to make sure.

Okay, I'll try.

Okay, I'll try.

Um, while it won't hurt to call them; I think that Pitt does put quite a large emphasis on EC's compared to other schools ranked in the Top 25. So if you have very little clinical or research experience, it probably wasn't a computer error. Sorry to disappoint. I think that Pitt also, like many other top 25 schools is very numbers-conscious and tends to reject many applicants with average stats. I had a year of grad school, a LOT of community service experience through a project with kids at UMCP and a community service frat I belonged to, 2 summers and 1 year (very clinically relevant) research, and experience shadowing docs at Hopkins and volunteering at a hospice in Baltimore. Also elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduate of UM Honors program. So I was pretty surprised when Pitt rejected me in December because of my stats; I at least thought they were going to consider me for a while longer since people told me that Pitt likes good EC's.

Tweetie, I got your PM and replied to it but it was bounced back to me cause your mailbox was full.I'll answer a few questions here.. yes, your undergrad is a very strong school; I would place it on par with USC and UT-Austin. Many schools hold it in high regard, and because it is affiliated with one of the best med schools in the country, it helps that you did research and clinical work there. If you are not going to retake the MCAT in August, I'd suggest concentrating on applying to a good number of "lower-tier" private schools like NYMC, SLU, Albany, Creighton, UVM, GW, and Penn State rather than a bunch of top 25 schools. Top 50 schools like Tufts and MCOW that interview a large # of applicants are also good to apply to. good luck!

Originally posted by Katie

Um, while it won't hurt to call them; I think that Pitt does put quite a large emphasis on EC's compared to other schools ranked in the Top 25. So if you have very little clinical or research experience, it probably wasn't a computer error. Sorry to disappoint. I think that Pitt also, like many other top 25 schools is very numbers-conscious and tends to reject many applicants with average stats. I had a year of grad school, a LOT of community service experience through a project with kids at UMCP and a community service frat I belonged to, 2 summers and 1 year (very clinically relevant) research, and experience shadowing docs at Hopkins and volunteering at a hospice in Baltimore. Also elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduate of UM Honors program. So I was pretty surprised when Pitt rejected me in December because of my stats; I at least thought they were going to consider me for a while longer since people told me that Pitt likes good EC's.

Tweetie, I got your PM and replied to it but it was bounced back to me cause your mailbox was full.I'll answer a few questions here.. yes, your undergrad is a very strong school; I would place it on par with USC and UT-Austin. Many schools hold it in high regard, and because it is affiliated with one of the best med schools in the country, it helps that you did research and clinical work there. If you are not going to retake the MCAT in August, I'd suggest concentrating on applying to a good number of "lower-tier" private schools like NYMC, SLU, Albany, Creighton, UVM, GW, and Penn State rather than a bunch of top 25 schools. Top 50 schools like Tufts and MCOW that interview a large # of applicants are also good to apply to. good luck!

Um, so, like, what was the problem again? When somebody says ECs, I think more school involved stuff. Ohhh, so that's what you were talking about. THOSE ECs! If U Pitt wants something other than that, well, then I got the whole package. 2 years of volunteering at various hospitals, also in ER for half a year (on Sept. 11th, 2, what an experience!) 2 years working research at NIH, undergrad research with chem dept. at my school, disadvantaged status, Honors program member, Dean's List student, the list goes on. So I'm really not sure what they're looking for. And, btw, there's a lot of average people who DID get the secondary. I'm just not one of them (I'm not saying I'm average).

Um, so, you don't have to throw your resume in my face. Okay? And at least they held your application till December. They rejected me on July 26th. Must be some kind of mistake.

A friend from my undergrad started Pitt this week with the same MCAT (not sure about breakdown).. so not only did he get the secondary, but he got interviewed and ACCEPTED.

*slaps Tweetie* Have faith in yourself, girl! :p

Originally posted by USeF

A friend from my undergrad started Pitt this week with the same MCAT (not sure about breakdown).. so not only did he get the secondary, but he got interviewed and ACCEPTED.

*slaps Tweetie* Have faith in yourself, girl! :p

SEE?? What the heck is going on??

Guys,
Thank you so much for answering my questions. I am so grateful I have SDN to guide me like this. You're all AWESOME.

Kaos: I don't usually like tooting my horn, but I have had others tell me that my ECs are unique etc. Things like publications, first author, 5 years clinical research with full patient contact etc, do count (well, otherwise I wouldn't have the Pitts secondary). Be careful if you call them--you just don't wanna get insulted, know what i mean? Perhaps email the dean???

Also, Katie was only trying to make a point in showing you how she got rejected with her above-average ECs. Not sure how long you've been on SDN, but from all of Katie's posts, I can tell you that she is only here to help. She's already in med school (lucky her!) and doesn't need to show her resume off to anybody (esp us lowly premeds :D ) Anyway, I shouldn't talk for others....

Let us know what the admin office tells you!! And I hope it works out. I have heard that you can petition any rejection "pre-interview." Search SDN for that.

PS: I just went on a cleaning mailbox spree and it's empty now. So if you got PMs for me, FIRE AWAY! :D

Guys,
Thank you so much for answering my questions. I am so grateful I have SDN to guide me like this. You're all AWESOME.

Kaos: I don't usually like tooting my horn, but I have had others tell me that my ECs are unique etc. Things like publications, first author, 5 years clinical research with full patient contact etc, do count (well, otherwise I wouldn't have the Pitts secondary). Be careful if you call them--you just don't wanna get insulted, know what i mean? Perhaps email the dean???

Also, Katie was only trying to make a point in showing you how she got rejected with her above-average ECs. Not sure how long you've been on SDN, but from all of Katie's posts, I can tell you that she is only here to help. She's already in med school (lucky her!) and doesn't need to show her resume off to anybody (esp us lowly premeds :D ) Anyway, I shouldn't talk for others....

Let us know what the admin office tells you!! And I hope it works out. I have heard that you can petition any rejection "pre-interview." Search SDN for that.

Yeah, I'm sure that's all true. I've already e-mailed U Pitt, and I'm waiting for some kind of reply. But still, what does that say if people with EC's like that are rejected and others with lower stats aren't?

But it's ok, I'm not stressing. Maybe I wasn't meant to go there anywayz...

:p

Um, so, like, what was the problem again? When somebody says ECs, I think more school involved stuff. Ohhh, so that's what you were talking about. THOSE ECs! If U Pitt wants something other than that, well, then I got the whole package. 2 years of volunteering at various hospitals, also in ER for half a year (on Sept. 11th, 2, what an experience!) 2 years working research at NIH, undergrad research with chem dept. at my school, disadvantaged status, Honors program member, Dean's List student, the list goes on. So I'm really not sure what they're looking for. And, btw, there's a lot of average people who DID get the secondary. I'm just not one of them (I'm not saying I'm average).

Um, so, you don't have to throw your resume in my face. Okay? And at least they held your application till December. They rejected me on July 26th. Must be some kind of mistake.

WOW! Something is up. Your ECs put mine to shame. Then again I haven't gotten a secondary either but my status page is still normal and I only got verified yesterday. Something is definitely up with your application though. What were your stats again? MCAT and GPA?

I'm also thinking of some other things like maybe you don't meet some of the pre-reqs. Maybe you're missing something there. Are you sure you put all those ECs that you mentioned down? Or it could be something with your personal statement. Did put anything risque down on it? Your situation is baffling. I would think they would at least send you a secondary to at least take your money. You seem a deserving enough candidate for that at least.

This is my second time applying so don't get too down about this. This goes for you all. Do not get too down but also, do not let yourself get too high either. Its still early, save it, you'll need it later. For most this is a long arduous process.

Kaos, let us know what they tell you.

Maybe I wasn't meant to go there anywayz...

:( you really sound like a good candidate. it's a wonder... :confused: Please don't get too down about this. I already feel bad that you're in this situation. Was it your top choice??

fyi, it looks like the sdner's with high mcat scores are getting interviews at UPitt already (like jot & dr octopus)

Originally posted by Bikini Princess
fyi, it looks like the sdner's with high mcat scores are getting interviews at UPitt already (like jot & dr octopus)

yeah but I think they were some of the first people that submitted to AMCAS on SDN so its not a big surprise. I think both are also MD/PhD applicants. Plus, a high MCAT score is looked upon pretty favorably by most schools so not really a shocker there either. You'll see people interviewing with lower scores a bit later on in the process. They want to see the cream of the crop now.

Originally posted by Explosivo

yeah but I think they were some of the first people that submitted to AMCAS on SDN so its not a big surprise. I think both are also MD/PhD applicants. Plus, a high MCAT score is looked upon pretty favorably by most schools so not really a shocker there either. You'll see people interviewing with lower scores a bit later on in the process. They want to see the cream of the crop now.

Yeah, maybe, but I was one of the first to submit AMCAS too. I don't know what to think...

WOW! Something is up. Your ECs put mine to shame. Then again I haven't gotten a secondary either but my status page is still normal and I only got verified yesterday. Something is definitely up with your application though. What were your stats again? MCAT and GPA?

I'm also thinking of some other things like maybe you don't meet some of the pre-reqs. Maybe you're missing something there. Are you sure you put all those ECs that you mentioned down? Or it could be something with your personal statement. Did put anything risque down on it? Your situation is baffling. I would think they would at least send you a secondary to at least take your money. You seem a deserving enough candidate for that at least.

This is my second time applying so don't get too down about this. This goes for you all. Do not get too down but also, do not let yourself get too high either. Its still early, save it, you'll need it later. For most this is a long arduous process.

Kaos, let us know what they tell you.

Thanks a lot. I don't think I forgot anything, and I tried to make it look like a success story rather than a sob story. I wanted to mention my adversities, but not focus on them. I have a 3.53 GPA and 9V/9P/10B MCAT.

I have plenty of backup plans just in case I don't get in anywhere, because that's pretty much what I expect with all the competition. That includes applying again.

Again, thanks for the advice!

I have no f***ing comment to any of you on this thread. if you want to do the poor baby $#-+ with kaos and pretend that you are going to get into top 10 schools, then fine.

I have no f***ing comment to any of you on this thread. if you want to do the poor baby $#-+ with kaos and pretend that you are going to get into top 10 schools, then fine.

?? :confused: ??

What's with her??

Um.... this could be it.

Who cares dude??? There are 124 other schools out there. This process is way too long and grueling to be bummed about not getting a secondary app from one school. I think everyone just needs to chill. Take everything in stride. Keep your emotions in check throughout this whole process. If you're fortunate enough to get an acceptance letter, then go out and celebrate. All this celebrating over "ooh i got a secondary and they screen" is silly. Sorry, the main cut is the interview and even that isn't all that reassuring at those schools that interview 5 or 6 times as many applicants as they have seats for. Just speaking the truth. And tweetie, please girl, you're gonna give yourself an ulcer worrying so much. Chill. Do it for me!!!!!

Originally posted by Papa Smurf
Um.... this could be it.

Who cares dude??? There are 124 other schools out there. This process is way too long and grueling to be bummed about not getting a secondary app from one school. I think everyone just needs to chill. Take everything in stride. Keep your emotions in check throughout this whole process. If you're fortunate enough to get an acceptance letter, then go out and celebrate. All this celebrating over "ooh i got a secondary and they screen" is silly. Sorry, the main cut is the interview and even that isn't all that reassuring at those schools that interview 5 or 6 times as many applicants as they have seats for. Just speaking the truth. And tweetie, please girl, you're gonna give yourself an ulcer worrying so much. Chill. Do it for me!!!!!

Okay, you know what? Every little thing counts in med school applications. For many of the more "average" students among us, one little rejection could matter a lot. I'm not saying that I'm very concerned about U Pitt, because they were actually on the bottom of my list. I actually didn't care until you all on here started making a big deal about who did and who didn't make the first screening, because it was only then that I actually started comparing stats. And it is very true that the interview is all that counts. Hell, they reject people for the silliest things! I'm sure that ALL of us (well, most) would make pretty competent doctors. And I truly believe that it's more luck than effort.

I think it's really good that people come up in here and are willing to talk freely about their experiences and how they're doing in this whole process. It's how a lot of us are learning the little tricks of the trade.

Okay, you know what? Every little thing counts in med school applications. For many of the more "average" students among us, one little rejection could matter a lot.
Ok, if they didn't deem you qualified to receive a secondary, then they surely don't deem you qualified for admission to their school. Don't take it personally. You have to have thick skin to get thru this process. Some people just don't fit a particular school, and that's all there is to it. This process is extremely ego-bruising, and that's what many of you will discover over the coming months. And for the record, I never made a big deal about them not giving you a secondary. Look at it this way, they saved you $70 dollars. Go take your gf out to dinner or something.

I find your response puzzling as well. I take it you took offense to kaos' response to your post. If that's the case then your should respond to kaos specifically. However, you instead directed it to all posters on this thread so I feel that I must now respond to you in kind.

The purpose of this thread had nothing to do with whether it was possible for kaos, tweetie, or even myself to gain admission to pitt. It was specifically about the pre-secondary screen and how it worked. Tweetie got one, kaos didn't, kaos has better GPA and MCAT scores which is what these screens typically look for. This is puzzling to me and others that have contributed. At no point were kaos' ultimate chances of gaining acceptance there discussed. I am a previous applicant so I know just how little passing one of these minor screens means.

However, this situation was a bit anomalous so I felt it right to investigate. I was not pulling baby **** just investigating what was up with the screen. And again, the question remains, what's the standard that pitt uses for the pre-screen? Its along the same lines of another thread on stanford and its quick rejections.

No reason for you to get nasty with everyone on here, especially those that did not direct anything toward you.

Originally posted by Papa Smurf
Look at it this way, they saved you $70 dollars. Go take your gf out to dinner or something.

LOL! Whooo! That was good! But believe me, it really didn't make a difference. Not even that way.

:laugh:

Yeah, I submitted really early on both amcas and the Pitt secondary. I'm applying regular MD though. Jot is MD/PhD.

Originally posted by Bikini Princess

Although it's flattering, you really can't put my name next to Jot's.