Uber drivers in some US cities are making more than $40 per hour, the company said

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpha12

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just don't forget to take into account how much those drivers are paying for gas/losing in vehicle depreciation, etc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Possible alternative career for unemployed grads.
Its true, some drivers are extremely lucky and can make $200+ a day working 10 hours or less. Ive seen a couple make $100 in just 4 hours actually. But for most drivers, its an average of $15-$20 per hour. It gets as low as $6/hr for a couple of months sometimes(extremely soul crushing). Ive been working as an uber driver for 2 years now while getting my CS degree and trust me, this job sucks. The company does not care for us, we can get banned for no reason and lose the job without ability to defend ourselves, our fares keep getting reduced, and tip baiters are real. The most I have made was actually $40 in 1 hour but it was just for 1 hour. At the end of the day it averaged out to $15/hr.
Honestly, this article seems like a way for the company to look good while abusing drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Possible alternative career for unemployed grads.
I actually drove Uber and Lyft at the same time for about a year. Overall I think I lost money. The fares seem good but they don't give you insurance (at least when i drove) and when I wrecked my insurance would not cover me as I was "operating a commercial vehicle". I had 2 wrecks and the chance of wrecks go way up when you are on the road 12 hours a day. Plus the wear and tear on my vehicle caused me to have to keep repairing things. The passengers will try to smoke illegal drugs, cigs, eat and spill food and even spit or wipe their snot on your car. I had one attempted car jacking and another drunk guy once stole another guys ride, telling me he was the pick up. I also once found scheduled prescription drugs hidden in my car after picking someone up from the airport. Thank goodness i found them before i got pulled over and the police did.

It's dangerous most of the good hours are late at night picking up ppl from bars which tends to equate to a lot of trouble. I was physically assaulted once when driving. You will get taken to bad areas of town and drug dealers will order you to go from house to house as they sell drugs.

Surprisingly
I did get exactly 3 offers to lay with a girl passenger during my 1 year of driving(no i never accepted).
I also enjoyed talking to people on long trips and seeing the city. A few times I got 20 dollar cash tips. My best trip was like 8x during a big sports game. I think I made around 92$ for a 30 minute drive.

Overall It is much better to get a normal job then to work for uber/lyft. I did not make anywhere close to $40 an hour. Maybe on average 11$ but that is before gas and wear and tear. Many times you are just sitting around waiting for a fare. Did I mention police tickets too? If you do drive never let them use your AUX cable or connect to your speakers. They will make you blast their crappy music. I always refused this. Also you need to keep your rating above 3stars? i forget otherwise you can no longer be allowed to drive. Most ppl give 1 star or 5 star.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Ubereats and doordash are better. No passengers to deal with, and people are happy to have food delivered.

@Momus can chime in.

• Hmm
Ubereats and doordash are better. No passengers to deal with, and people are happy to have food delivered.

@Momus can chime in.
If you are an uber driver, you are also an ubereats driver unless you decide to switch it off. There is little difference between delivering food and giving people rides. Just recently an ubereats driver was killed in a carjacking incident so don't assume this job is any safer.

I actually drove Uber and Lyft at the same time for about a year. Overall I think I lost money. The fares seem good but they don't give you insurance (at least when i drove) and when I wrecked my insurance would not cover me as I was "operating a commercial vehicle". I had 2 wrecks and the chance of wrecks go way up when you are on the road 12 hours a day. Plus the wear and tear on my vehicle caused me to have to keep repairing things. The passengers will try to smoke illegal drugs, cigs, eat and spill food and even spit or wipe their snot on your car. I had one attempted car jacking and another drunk guy once stole another guys ride, telling me he was the pick up. I also once found scheduled prescription drugs hidden in my car after picking someone up from the airport. Thank goodness i found them before i got pulled over and the police did.

It's dangerous most of the good hours are late at night picking up ppl from bars which tends to equate to a lot of trouble. I was physically assaulted once when driving. You will get taken to bad areas of town and drug dealers will order you to go from house to house as they sell drugs.

Surprisingly
I did get exactly 3 offers to lay with a girl passenger during my 1 year of driving(no i never accepted).
I also enjoyed talking to people on long trips and seeing the city. A few times I got 20 dollar cash tips. My best trip was like 8x during a big sports game. I think I made around 92$ for a 30 minute drive.

Overall It is much better to get a normal job then to work for uber/lyft. I did not make anywhere close to $40 an hour. Maybe on average 11$ but that is before gas and wear and tear. Many times you are just sitting around waiting for a fare. Did I mention police tickets too? If you do drive never let them use your AUX cable or connect to your speakers. They will make you blast their crappy music. I always refused this. Also you need to keep your rating above 3stars? i forget otherwise you can no longer be allowed to drive. Most ppl give 1 star or 5 star.
Oh man. why did you turn the girls down? At least take them to a secluded parking lot and get some head.

• Haha
  • Wow
My best trip was like 8x during a big sports game. I think I made around 92$ for a 30 minute drive.

Same here. I made about ~300 in two hours between two trip during a NFL game. Mostly because my passengers were drunk during 6x surge pricing but they just HAD to sit in the White Castle drive-thru.

Oh man. why did you turn the girls down? At least take them to a secluded parking lot and get some head.
They weren't my type. Let's just put it that way brother. Easy come, easy go. Plus not trying to catch The Big Bug or deal with the false accusations of Potiphar's wife for 30 seconds of fun.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
If you are an uber driver, you are also an ubereats driver unless you decide to switch it off. There is little difference between delivering food and giving people rides. Just recently an ubereats driver was killed in a carjacking incident so don't assume this job is any safer.

Then just do Door Dash? Or grocery delivery. I mean anyone can get carjacked. Eliminating passengers decreases the risk.

The GiG EcOnOmY (where you are working for some corp) and society is such ****.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The GiG EcOnOmY (where you are working for some corp) and society is such ****.
I was just listening to a thing on the radio saying how much millennials/gen z love the gig economy. Just sounds like an easy way to get screwed out of benefits and have a ****ty schedule to me

I have been thinking about doing doordash. LOL i graduated last year and paid off 275K loans and quit my job after working for 6 months. Stress was too much in retail and it affected my mental health to the point I couldn’t take it so I quit. I am looking for remote work or thinking of switching fields.

• Wow
  • Sad
Why bother with doordash when you have a 7 figure household income?

I have been thinking about doing doordash. LOL i graduated last year and paid off 275K loans and quit my job after working for 6 months. Stress was too much in retail and it affected my mental health to the point I couldn’t take it so I quit. I am looking for remote work or thinking of switching fields.
If your spouse makes almost a million there is zero reason to work let alone door doordash.

Volunteer.
Never do anything for free. I get volunteering tho. But for me work gives me a sense of purpose. While I can’t speak to this persons situation, I could never see myself leaving employment even if I win the lotto. I would keep working in some capacity.

Never do anything for free. I get volunteering tho. But for me work gives me a sense of purpose. While I can’t speak to this persons situation, I could never see myself leaving employment even if I win the lotto. I would keep working in some capacity.
I have a hard time believing that doordash would give someone a sense of purpose that they wouldn't find in volunteering for an organization that they care about.

To each their own though I suppose.

If your spouse makes almost a million there is zero reason to work let alone door doordash.
lol I want to do something and not just sit around you know. Doordash thing just came in my mind but I dont think I would do it though.

Yeah that totally makes sense But retail stress is too much. i don’t want to work where they don’t care about well being of their employee. Also pay is **** too. I don’t think stress is worth the money. I dont want to sit around. I want to find something that pays and has better work life balance. Doordash thing was just joke, I wouldn’t do it lol