UCLA Alternate interview invite

byuAD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i just got an interview invite to UCLA on April 15th for an alternate position. Basically is it worth it to spend the money to interview for an alternate position? Does anyone have any experience with this or got the same invite? I want to go to UCLA but I don't want to spend the money and time during finals if i have a 2% or less chance of getting in.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody can give you an accurate % chance of acceptance because the number of alternatives actually granted an acceptance varies year to year. However, every year an alternative is selected, so if UCLA is your top choice, attending would be worth your time.

Just an idea: If UCLA is your #1 choice and you do well in the interview, but there is still no room in this years entering class, admissions may defer your acceptance until next year (you may have to ask for this). This situation could be a win for you if you have travel plans or want to gain some life experience prior to the start of your dental education.

Goodluck

You could give them a call as well and ask, historically, how many people get in from the waitlist. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did your email say "As it is near the end of our interview process, we would like to inform you that a successful interview may not guarantee a position in the Class of 2015. If this is the case, you will be placed on our waiting list. " I just copied that from my interview invitation email on 3/1. I interviewed on 3/8 and was accepted on 3/22.

I don't know how full the class is after interviews on 3/8, 3/11 and 4/1 and I'm guessing there is at least one interview between 4/1 and 4/15 so I'd call Noemi and ask what's going on first.

Just for your information, my friend who interviewed early April last year was accepted the following week without spending any time on the waitlist so it seems that UCLA interviews pretty late in the cycle. Hope this helps!

Actually mine said they would like to "extend an offer for you to interview at the UCLA School of Dentistry for an alternate position. A successful interview does not guarantee a seat in the Class of 2015." So is alternate = waitlist? I'm leaning towards not going but maybe I will call and ask. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for the insight.

I interviewed April 1 (Friday), and I just got accepted on the Following Monday (April 4). It definitely is possible to get an acceptance this late. I contemplated going for a long time because I thought there was no point. I'm going to decline my acceptance anyway, so I know for sure there will be at least one position open.

my invite said the same as yours yujin