UMich vs. USC Keck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgirl_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Y'all! I'm grateful to have options here but I'm honestly a bit overwhelmed trying to decide on a school, so any insight would be much appreciated!

Both schools would be new environments for me although I currently live in a city. I’m not quite sure where I want to be for residency but unlikely the midwest (besides Chicago, potentially). At the moment, I’m interested in surgery, OBGYN, and internal medicine. Both schools have AOA as far as I know, although UMich’s clinical year is graded on a curve whereas Keck’s is P/F/HP (internal rankings?). As you can see below, my main concern is Ann Arbor not being as diverse as the city I currently live in and if it's a place where I would want to spend the rest of my 20s. Thoughts? Thank you:)

USC
Pros:
-$70k scholarship (hopefully more, but TBD)
-I have friends and family in the area
-Major, diverse city (although I know I'll be studying for the most part, I would still like to spend my 20s in a vibrant city)
-Weather!
-Diverse student body and patient population (clinical rotations at both the county and private hospital)
-Known to have a “laid back” atmosphere

Cons:
-High COL/tuition
-Not as prestigious as UMich but I’m not sure if this difference is negligible or not

UMich
Pros:
-$290k scholarship
-Excellent reputation
-Lots of great research opportunities and the opportunity to do a full research project during 3rd year
-Great sense of community—there seems to be a lot of student support from faculty & friendly student body
-Lower COL

Cons:
-Diversity of Ann Arbor/UMich? (I’ve never been to the city, so it’s an assumption, but also something I noticed based on the accepted students' group—nervous about not finding people I really mesh with )
-Clinical year graded on a curve
-No friends or family in the area

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where are you from/have you lived in LA or the Midwest? And do you have a preference to where you end up for residency? To me, UMich seems like the obvious better choice just due to such a large cost difference (plus it's a better school overall with more research opportunities). Ann Arbor is not nearly diverse as LA/USC, but it IS as diverse as you can get in the Midwest in a college town. Plus, Chicago and Detroit are both within reach but you'll be studying for most of the time like you mentioned anyways.

If USC ends up offering more money I would consider whether that "comfort factor", having family support nearby, and being in a more lively city is worth the additional cost. Both schools will be good enough to get you where you want to go.

You should really visit Ann Arbor because you will be surprised/happy with the things to do in Ann Arbor, the diverse people, and the opportunities. It is more than just a typical college town because it has large museums, incredible restaurants, and lots of entertainment choices. For me, the winner is UMich by a country mile even though I have always wanted to live in LA lol.

Attending UMich will also make it easy for you to match wherever you want to be which is better in the grand scheme of things!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the others, unless you can get more money at USC I would choose Mich because the schools are both really great. Unless the environment around the school is that important to you and could justify the cost difference.

Try to get USC to match but I would go Michigan here. USC is removed from the city and Ann Arbor is nice (but hard to get to/from).

Both are great schools. USC gives you a higher chance of matching in CA. If that's not a concern for you, I would lean Michigan.

Thank you all so much for your help--very much appreciated! :giggle: