Unable to choose residency program (IM)

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is really CC material, but it's an interesting question...

I'm applying to IM residencies for the intern class starting this July. I've interviewed at a number of fine programs which are all of similar caliber in the second tier of programs. However, I'm not finding one standing out amongst all of them. The word was that after going through all this, there would be at least one program which stood out as being "the one" program that you want to be at, but I'm not finding that to be the case. It feels that as I make my list, there's not real program that I want to rank #1, but I have a large number of programs that I feel are great #2 and #3 spots. Is there anyway I can come to a decision within the next week for all of this?

Speaking in general, as someone who did not match into their #1 choice in the match, I would note that you should try to stay open to the possibility of matching anywhere you rank, especially anywhere in the top 3 or 4 spots. Ultimately, I've found that residents are happy, or at least satisfied, with where they match, even if it wasn't #1. So, go with your feelings and any list of pros/cons you've made and don't sweat it too much.

Members don't see this ad.