University of Cincinnati SMP 2024-2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caloriesindefitic

Reaction score
Haven’t seen a thread about it yet. I applied a month ago, and I’m wondering if other people are in my boat.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an applicant, but I'm a current student. Feel free to ask any questions about the program!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not an applicant, but I'm a current student. Feel free to ask any questions about the program!
Hey, I am senior in undergrad right now and I wanted to know if the Cinci SMP had any preference for in-state applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, current M3 and former student of the program here.

To answer your questions:
- The SMP program does NOT have a preference for in-state students. Every year, you will find students from all across the US. The program is willing to accept any student who has the potential to complete the program.
- Being an integrated program where you attend classes with M1s, you're practically a "pseudo-M1," so the course load is hard. However, the program has many resources, from counselors, tutors, and mentors, to help guide you through the year. Honestly, attending a challenging program was one of the major advantages of the program for me. ADCOMs are looking for students who can handle medical school and not drop out. Completing a program that has students attending the same courses as M1s gives admissions counselors more confidence in your ability to succeed in medical school compared to other programs where students have a separate curriculum.
- While most of your time will be dedicated to your studies, there is time for extracurriculars. I volunteered for about 4 hours a month at a community youth group during the program. During the year, there will be periods when you're more busy with school, which makes it hard but definitely doable. If you're looking to do some research during the program, there are numerous faculty mentors with labs that can help find a project for you.

- The SMP program does NOT have a preference for in-state students. Every year, you will find students from all across the US. The program is willing to accept any student who has the potential to complete the program.
- Being an integrated program where you attend classes with M1s, you're practically a "pseudo-M1," so the course load is hard. However, the program has many resources, from counselors, tutors, and mentors, to help guide you through the year. Honestly, attending a challenging program was one of the major advantages of the program for me. ADCOMs are looking for students who can handle medical school and not drop out. Completing a program that has students attending the same courses as M1s gives admissions counselors more confidence in your ability to succeed in medical school compared to other programs where students have a separate curriculum.
- While most of your time will be dedicated to your studies, there is time for extracurriculars. I volunteered for about 4 hours a month at a community youth group during the program. During the year, there will be periods when you're more busy with school, which makes it hard but definitely doable. If you're looking to do some research during the program, there are numerous faculty mentors with labs that can help find a project for you.
What percentage of your cohort gained admission into UCincy? Did most take a glide year and applied after the program ended?

Hello guys,
I applied for the SMP program last week, and wanted to know when should I expect to receive a decision regarding my application. Anyone has any idea how much do they take time to send out acceptances/rejections (roughly)?

Hello guys,
I applied for the SMP program last week, and wanted to know when should I expect to receive a decision regarding my application. Anyone has any idea how much do they take time to send out acceptances/rejections (roughly)?
I applied early June and got in 2 weeks later. It's variable based on how busy the team there is, it's a tight crew. Hearing from others, decisions are historically turned around quickly.

Hello guys,
I would say a couple of weeks (2-3).

Do you think this program is doable as a commuter student (I would have about ~1 hour commute to Cinci)? I asked Tracy, the program manager, the same question and she didn’t seem too keen on it but wanted to get a student perspective as well.

Doable? Technically yes. I woke up at 7 and slept at 10-11 most days except for before exams which were at least every couple weeks. Almost the entire day, including weekends were used for studying. I can't imagine how sustainable it would have been for me if I lost ~2 hours a day to commute. I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Appreciate your response! Looks like Cinci it is then. Want to set myself up for success and there’s no reason to make it harder lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What percentage of your cohort gained admission into UCincy? Did most take a glide year and applied after the program ended?
You can see this information as it's publicly available. They list outcomes for each cohort in the "alumni" section

Applied 3/31 and accepted today!

Hello guys! Just got an interview from the UC SMP program. Is it the case that they accept/deny directly after we end the interview, or they reach back after a couple days? I've got my interview for next wednesday.

Are interviews common for the program? I recently applied and didn't hear anything yet so just wondering

Hi, does anyone know how much time you have from offer notification to accept the offer?

Guys! I've just been accepted yesterday for this SMP program at UC. I've just been really uncertain about accepting the offer, because I've also been accepted to the University of Michigan MS in Physiology program. Although Umich doesn't offer linkage (or so have I heard), its FRECKIN UMICH. Also, I will doing the research track at Umich, so i will have more research experience than at UC. Either way, both programs are one-year programs, so I'll be applying after I finish. Any insight or ideas on how to take a decision? Thanks in advance.

Hi! I was accepted for this cycle as well. I submitted my application on January 15 and was accepted on February 9.

-Does anyone have a sample or general description of what the schedule looks like?
-Any tips on how to prepare for the program?

Hello guys,
I submitted everything January 15 and got my acceptance on February 9. I believe it was marked as received on January 18.

Hi! I was accepted for this cycle as well. I submitted my application on January 15 and was accepted on February 9.

-Does anyone have a sample or general description of what the schedule looks like?
-Any tips on how to prepare for the program?

This is what the schedule looks like. It will be subject to change, as there are supposedly changes to the 1st medical instructional block (Scientific Foundations of Medicine)

Tips (Take everything with a grain of salt)
  • For the program year
    1. Get your affairs in order before the program. You should try to have as little mental overhead as possible. While some students can juggle doing things like working and research during the program year, it is an easy to shoot yourself in the foot.
    2. Be ready to throw yourself into it. Depending on what type of academic background you have, you may need to put in a bit more legwork to be successful. The first medical instructional block is typically the most challenging for people, most do not anticipate the amount of content thrown at you.
    3. Put your blinders on. This is a good tip for med school as well. Know why you are here, and know what you need to do. Keep your eye on the prize, and don't compromise on your goals. This is the year for you to prove you are who you say you are, at least academically.
    4. The requirement for a guaranteed interview is a B+ in the medical instructional blocks, and no lower than a B in any class. Just because you were able to meet the threshold for the med blocks does not mean you should give any less effort into the other classes. How silly would you feel if you lost your guarantee from a 1 or 2 credit class, while putting in legwork the rest of the year?
    5. Know yourself. At the end of the day, the most reliable person that can help you get success is yourself, and you will need to be able to support yourself through difficult moments. Your peers may be able to help you in some capacity, but from a long-term angle you need to be able to be your own biggest advocate.
  • For the application cycle (assuming you plan to apply upon completion of the program)
    1. If you are a person who is looking to retake the MCAT, figure out a plan early. Plans are subject to change, but don't just try to wing it as you go
      • (I'd say depending on your overall application, but below 512 I'd look to retake. 513-514 probably leave it alone. 515+ you better be very sure that you're able to allocate enough effort to score significantly better). MCAT deficits vary person to person. The program curriculum will do somewhat of a job preparing you for b/b.
      • Be mindful that, as with the general suggestion for application cycles, you want to get your application in as soon as possible. Schools will likely not review your application until all materials are in (secondaries are written, all MCAT scores are in). Primary apps transmit end of june, you'll start getting secondaries in early/mid july. Assuming you follow the 1 week turnaround suggestion, you want to have your MCAT score back mid july ideally. That means you probably want to shoot for a retake no later than mid june. Of course this is not a hard and fast rule, but if you are trying to get things in as early as possible, that's what you want to be mindful of. Schools will not review your application until you have pending MCAT scores in.
      • The program instructional courses run up until mid/late may. With that in mind, consider this if having a 1 month study period for the MCAT would be enough for you to boost your existing score. That's not a statement to say if it will or wont be, but just be mindful and plan around that.
    2. If you can, start doing some of your prewriting now. Do not underestimate the amount of writing needed for the application cycle. If you follow the med school application process closely, you would understand that while grades/metrics get your foot in the door, your ability to convey yourself on paper can make or break your application.
      • Everything below is subject to change (as with any plans), but...
      • Prior to starting the program, I'd start identifying your school list
      • Put together as much of your primary application as you can. AMCAS experiences, MMEs, personal statement
      • Get your letter writers in order sooner than later. Do not wait until May going into the application cycle to start asking around
Separate from the more general tips above
  • Have a sense of how your performance will reflect on your final results. I know someone who maintained their own grading spreadsheet the entire year. A bit crazy but it worked for them.
  • The first medical instructional block during the 23-24 school year was 10 credits. Out of 32 graded credits, this means that this will leave a substantial mark on your GPA. For example (assuming you get an A in the introductory 1 credit class), getting the following grades means you can finish the program with at max...
    • A- = 3.91
    • B+ = 3.78
    • B = 3.69
    • B- = 3.59
    • C+ = 3.47

This is what the schedule looks like. It will be subject to change, as there are supposedly changes to the 1st medical instructional block (Scientific Foundations of Medicine)

Tips (Take everything with a grain of salt)
  • For the program year
    1. Get your affairs in order before the program. You should try to have as little mental overhead as possible. While some students can juggle doing things like working and research during the program year, it is an easy to shoot yourself in the foot.
    2. Be ready to throw yourself into it. Depending on what type of academic background you have, you may need to put in a bit more legwork to be successful. The first medical instructional block is typically the most challenging for people, most do not anticipate the amount of content thrown at you.
    3. Put your blinders on. This is a good tip for med school as well. Know why you are here, and know what you need to do. Keep your eye on the prize, and don't compromise on your goals. This is the year for you to prove you are who you say you are, at least academically.
    4. The requirement for a guaranteed interview is a B+ in the medical instructional blocks, and no lower than a B in any class. Just because you were able to meet the threshold for the med blocks does not mean you should give any less effort into the other classes. How silly would you feel if you lost your guarantee from a 1 or 2 credit class, while putting in legwork the rest of the year?
    5. Know yourself. At the end of the day, the most reliable person that can help you get success is yourself, and you will need to be able to support yourself through difficult moments. Your peers may be able to help you in some capacity, but from a long-term angle you need to be able to be your own biggest advocate.
  • For the application cycle (assuming you plan to apply upon completion of the program)
    1. If you are a person who is looking to retake the MCAT, figure out a plan early. Plans are subject to change, but don't just try to wing it as you go
      • (I'd say depending on your overall application, but below 512 I'd look to retake. 513-514 probably leave it alone. 515+ you better be very sure that you're able to allocate enough effort to score significantly better). MCAT deficits vary person to person. The program curriculum will do somewhat of a job preparing you for b/b.
      • Be mindful that, as with the general suggestion for application cycles, you want to get your application in as soon as possible. Schools will likely not review your application until all materials are in (secondaries are written, all MCAT scores are in). Primary apps transmit end of june, you'll start getting secondaries in early/mid july. Assuming you follow the 1 week turnaround suggestion, you want to have your MCAT score back mid july ideally. Schools will not review your application until you have pending MCAT scores in.
    2. If you can, start doing some of your prewriting now. Do not underestimate the amount of writing needed for the application cycle. If you follow the med school application process closely, you would understand that while grades/metrics get your foot in the door, your ability to convey yourself on paper can make or break your application.
      • Everything below is subject to change (as with any plans), but...
      • Prior to starting the program, I'd start identifying your school list
      • Put together as much of your primary application as you can. AMCAS experiences, MMEs, personal statement
      • Get your letter writers in order sooner than later. Do not wait until May going into the application cycle to start asking around
Separate from the more general tips above
  • Have a sense of how your performance will reflect on your final results. I know someone who maintained their own grading spreadsheet the entire year. A bit crazy but it worked for them.
  • The first medical instructional block during the 23-24 school year was 10 credits. Out of 32 graded credits, this means that this will leave a substantial mark on your GPA. For example (assuming you get an A in the introductory 1 credit class), getting the following grades means you can finish the program with at max...
    • A- = 3.91
    • B+ = 3.78
    • B = 3.69
    • B- = 3.59
    • C+ = 3.47
Thank you for this insight! I was more so asking about the day to day schedule of classes. And what did your study schedule generally look like?

Thank you for this insight! I was more so asking about the day to day schedule of classes. And what did your study schedule generally look like?
The day to day will vary depending on what course you are currently taking, but it is typically classes from 8am-12pm. There are some additional classes or sessions held throughout the week, after 12pm, but that's the core of your lecture time. Lectures are (mostly) not mandatory attendance during the medical blocks.

In terms of study schedule, I would say the first thing to understand is that everybody operates differently, and the best answer is the answer that works for you. Some people studied consistently every day, some people crammed (I would not recommend this for the average person, or anybody really). It's important to understand that in every academic setting, in the SMP or med school, you need to do what works for you. This goes back to knowing yourself. If you know that you need a bit more time, a bit more legwork in studying, then you need to do what you need to do to succeed. The formula is different from everybody.

Guys! I've just been accepted yesterday for this SMP program at UC. I've just been really uncertain about accepting the offer, because I've also been accepted to the University of Michigan MS in Physiology program. Although Umich doesn't offer linkage (or so have I heard), its FRECKIN UMICH. Also, I will doing the research track at Umich, so i will have more research experience than at UC. Either way, both programs are one-year programs, so I'll be applying after I finish. Any insight or ideas on how to take a decision? Thanks in advance.
This probably isn't helpful, but you should probably look at all the advantages and disadvantages first, and make a choice from there. Some of the good things I can think of on the top of my head for this program is probably the in-state applicant priority (for Ohio State, Ucincy, Neomed, Case western), ofc the guaranteed interview IF you do well, probably some great connections to make here (with some being in the admissions), being near the Children's Hospital, and the small size. I'm not sure about research, but I think you can leverage being a student in Physiology to land a research position somewhere. It's a tough decision, but I wish you the best of luck.

This probably isn't helpful, but you should probably look at all the advantages and disadvantages first, and make a choice from there. Some of the good things I can think of on the top of my head for this program is probably the in-state applicant priority (for Ohio State, Ucincy, Neomed, Case western), ofc the guaranteed interview IF you do well, probably some great connections to make here (with some being in the admissions), being near the Children's Hospital, and the small size. I'm not sure about research, but I think you can leverage being a student in Physiology to land a research position somewhere. It's a tough decision, but I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you for your insights!
So, after some serious thinking, I've made up my mind that Cincy might be a better option.

My main goal is to become a kick-ass doctor, and I think both Cincinnati and Umich can get me there. But after weighing my options, Cincinnati's SMP program seems like a less uncertain, and certainly more affordable option for me to get into med school. This also includes many of the advantages you mentioned (medical curriculum, Ohio in-state tuition, interaction with med students and admission faculty...)

It's easy to get caught up in the whole "ranking" thing, but I've come to realize that it's not everything. It's about finding the program that fits your needs best and gives you the support you need, and for me, that guaranteed interview is all the support I need lol.

Thank you for your insights!
So, after some serious thinking, I've made up my mind that Cincy might be a better option.

My main goal is to become a kick-ass doctor, and I think both Cincinnati and Umich can get me there. But after weighing my options, Cincinnati's SMP program seems like a less uncertain, and certainly more affordable option for me to get into med school. This also includes many of the advantages you mentioned (medical curriculum, Ohio in-state tuition, interaction with med students and admission faculty...)

It's easy to get caught up in the whole "ranking" thing, but I've come to realize that it's not everything. It's about finding the program that fits your needs best and gives you the support you need, and for me, that guaranteed interview is all the support I need lol.
yes, I think you made the right decision. I hope we'll survive this program.

Hey guys!
I just made a group for those getting into this program on GroupMe.

Click here to join: GroupMe

Hi everyone,

I applied for the SMP program on 4/13, but I haven't heard anything back regarding my application (still under review). Since many people have said it typically takes them about 2-3 weeks, I was a bit concerned about the delay. Does this probably mean they won't be moving forward with my application? I'm wondering if I send a follow-up email to the program manager regarding my application status. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I applied for the SMP program on 4/13, but I haven't heard anything back regarding my application (still under review). Since many people have said it typically takes them about 2-3 weeks, I was a bit concerned about the delay. Does this probably mean they won't be moving forward with my application? I'm wondering if I send a follow-up email to the program manager regarding my application status. Thank you!
I’m not sure, hut maybe it’s because of a lot of applications they have at the moment. You should ask about the status of your applicationn to Tracy