General Admissions & OTCAS Unsure of my chances with a low GPA? Career path change from Pre-vet to Pre-ot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOTMax

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I recently changed my mind about becoming a veterinarian due to the mental exhaustion of vets I am constantly told about...Unfortunately, I have a 2.91 GPA, with around a 3.5-3.6 in my last 45 credits taken (which will 100% increase before I graduate since I changed my major from Biology to Psychology)... I have a lot of veterinary related ECs on my resume, but I do have experience working as a 1on1 advocate for an autistic child, and was in frequent contact with OTs over the course of working with him. He's the reason I am hoping to change my major and go down this path. I am hoping to start volunteering through Virtua and work in some capacity with their early-intervention program shadowing, but am constantly looking at other ways to gain experience for my application. My question is, do any OT schools only look at later credits taken like some vet schools do? How heavily do they weigh extra curriculars vs the GPA? Any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

They definitely look at the last 30-45 credits and of course pre-req GPA the most. I definitely think you would be able to go into a program, most allow for you to submit an essay explaining your circumstances or some areas in your application that may have some holes so of course you would be able to explain your situation of changing paths. Also, some programs will say if they have a holistic approach and are understanding but there are some that will automatically reject you if you do not have the 3.0 for sure. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
There are many schools that look at the last 60 credits or at least an upward trend in grades. Many admission committees evaluate students on a holistic basis and it's definitely worth reaching out to the programs you're interested in to find out more information on that topic specifically. There are many applicants who are more qualitatively strong if their GPA isn't super stellar, it's important to make those aspects of your application shine if that's the case. Also, cGPA is important, but pre-requisite GPA is also extremely important. If you have a B or less in some of those courses, consider re-taking them to boost that pGPA and cGPA but also to show that you are dedicated.

Out of curiosity, however, how did you go from pre-vet to pre-OT? I know you mentioned a child you worked with, but still, that's a huge jump!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are programs that look at your last 45-60 credits, a lot also want you to have above a 3.0 cumulative GPA, but if you’re still working on classes, you’ll get there! I finished undergrad with a 2.7 and after I finished prereqs and some repeat classes (cause I graduated 10 years ago) with a 3.0 cumulative and 3.7 for last 45 credits, I got into 3 programs and was waitlisted at others. 😊

Reactions: 1 user
There are many schools that look at the last 60 credits or at least an upward trend in grades. Many admission committees evaluate students on a holistic basis and it's definitely worth reaching out to the programs you're interested in to find out more information on that topic specifically. There are many applicants who are more qualitatively strong if their GPA isn't super stellar, it's important to make those aspects of your application shine if that's the case. Also, cGPA is important, but pre-requisite GPA is also extremely important. If you have a B or less in some of those courses, consider re-taking them to boost that pGPA and cGPA but also to show that you are dedicated.

Out of curiosity, however, how did you go from pre-vet to pre-OT? I know you mentioned a child you worked with, but still, that's a huge jump!
Hey! Totally didn't even realize I never responded to this. My last 45 credits so far I've managed a 3.4-3.5 cGPA, and my pre-requisite GPA is something that I can definitely improve upon! Personally I went through OTs as a child due to sensory processing disorder among other things due to Hydrocephalus, and working as a 1on1 made me realize how easy problem-solving in this field is to me due to just understanding (at least somewhat) what clients and patients go through. Just got a job as an ABA technician (not OT experience, but I'm sure it will help regardless), and I had my best semester of college yet grades wise!