Forum Members Upgrade feedback and bug log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heads up: I am currently working on the X Year Member titles. There may be some wonkiness as I experiment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah we need something so we don't have to just endlessly scroll past the sections that don't get read.

What mobile OS and browser are you using? I'm on iOS and Safari, and the closed forums are staying closed, even if I leave the site and come back later.

This has been the case ever since the two new subforums were added in pre-vet about a month ago, as @Lupin21 stated in that stickied thread...it's also how most of the other forums are organized. Nothing too drastic has changed except for the fact that the distinction between stickied vs non-stickied is not as clear as it was before.

Always been an option ;) that's how I was able to ask mods to sticky the threads I created when I wasn't yet a mod :)

Yes, I'm very aware of when it happened. Very aware it wasn't with this update. Doesn't mean I can't point out how awful it looks and how it drags you through some random maze of sub-forums, other threads, other forums (hSDN), etc before you even get to the main pre-vet forum.

Why not point it out? Who cares when it was changed?

Members don't see this ad :)
The Veterinarian badge is the easiest to read of the doc badges that I’ve seen

And now it’s the same blue on grey as everything else. I think I preferred the light orange or pink (whatever color that was) background for doc badges on basic. Was much easier to read than blue on grey. If it’s going to stay grey, would recommend black words like the 10 year badges that are on grey

Not having page number buttons at the bottom of a thread is super lame, having to click “1-6” and then +ing and -ing to the page number you want is so much less intuitive than just having “1, 2, 3, 4” being clickable right there.

Having to dismiss the featured article pop up every time you access the site is beyond obnoxious.

Also, clicking on a thread I’ve previously read doesn’t seem to take me to the most recent post any more. Having to manually find the last post I read is just stupid, especially when this was a perfectly implemented basic feature before.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the other posters about not having the page numbers at the bottom listed out makes navigating through a thread a bit more difficult. Also, although the little arrow that lets you jump all the way up the page is still there, there’s no longer a “down” arrow to jump all the way to the bottom anymore. It would be nice to have that back, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Came back to my phone this am and there was a banner that said the user was updated and I needed to refresh so I did and it made me log in again despite having clicked the stay logged in button yesterday. But I see the notifications now only show the new ones when you click it so thanks for that.

Site does not retain subforum hide choices like it used to. I Like to leave everything except the med student and specialty sections expanded to save me time from scrolling through the eyechart.

Also, I am not being automatically logged in.

Chrome Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)
on MacOS 10.14.4.

Lastly, second all the other beefs about the new look. There was nothing wrong with the site last week or the week before or the year before. You should have just left well enough alone. Fix it till it's broke I guess.

Bring back the old style as an option!!!! Basic is not going to cut it. Unbelievable example of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Still can't login with facebook

Also the site is unusable on mobile. Google Chrome on Android Oreo 8.0.0. Can't scroll and the page just freezes continuously.

Not a hater just reporting bugs... Ya'll are being way too dramatic. It's just something new, you'll adapt in no time.

Agree with everything above. The color schemes kind of make everything melt together. Hard to tell which threads are new/old/read/unread. Interface to access 'watched forums" is now harder to access. It's not splitting-the-atom hard, but it used to be easier and I did it a lot. Very difficult to use the new format on a phone, I have found, which is unfortunate. Sleek and streamlined doesn't always mean better. If you tear the legs and wings off a fly it's much more sleek and streamlined, but it isn't as functional.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both desktop and mobile the stay logged in checkbox isn't working. I have had to log in to each 3-4x so far, including just now.

Reactions: 4 users
Still can't login with facebook

Also the site is unusable on mobile. Google Chrome on Android Oreo 8.0.0. Can't scroll and the page just freezes continuously.

Not a hater just reporting bugs... Ya'll are being way too dramatic. It's just something new, you'll adapt in no time.
I'm android on chrome and it works for me.

I agree about the dramatic thing. I don't like the new cosmetics but I'll figure out whatever can't be changed. The ones who just post they hate it and will quit are not doing themselves any good when they could be pointing out specifics that are problematic. Especially since they already fixed a few things that I and others pointed out.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm android on chrome and it works for me.

I agree about the dramatic thing. I don't like the new cosmetics but I'll figure out whatever can't be changed. The ones who just post they hate it and will quit are not doing themselves any good when they could be pointing out specifics that are problematic. Especially since they already fixed a few things that I and others pointed out.

I think people just like to complain and/or are resistant to change.

I think it's also important to realize that forum updates happen for various key reasons (mainly technical/security aspects that most people here don't care about even though these are critical for site functions). Most of the criticisms focus on appearance which is something that's easily fixable if they can be specific in what they want.

When I get a PM, i see the red notification, but the PM with new text in the drop menu is no longer bold (or again, I just can't tell in dark mode). Again, bold everywhere in dark mode is not adequate.

I think people just like to complain and/or are resistant to change.

I think it's also important to realize that forum updates happen for various key reasons (mainly technical/security aspects that most people here don't care about even though these are critical for site functions). Most of the criticisms focus on appearance which is something that's easily fixable if they can be specific in what they want.
I think the color scheme has been a recurrent theme. Bring back the baby blue background option!

I have implemented a fix for the "Years on the site" banners. Please let me know if you are still seeing multiple banners or are not seeing the correct banner.

Also, we can control the text on the banners so if people don't like "2 Years" we can change it.

I have implemented a fix for the "Years on the site" banners. Please let me know if you are still seeing multiple banners or are not seeing the correct banner.

Also, we can control the text on the banners so if people don't like "2 Years" we can change it.
I think the "X Years" banner is pretty vague. It should go back to how it was: "X Years+ Member" or something of that phrase for clarity.

I think the color scheme has been a recurrent theme. Bring back the baby blue background option!

Should be possible to customize the Basic template to look similar to the pre-update Blue background. And also add a Night version of the Basic template. I think the other default templates can be retired/removed since they're apparently viewed to be way worse than Basic

Should be possible to customize the Basic template to look similar to the pre-update Blue background. And also add a Night version of the Basic template. I think the other default templates can be retired/removed since they're apparently viewed to be way worse than Basic
The second they do that someone will complain because they liked it

If that is possible it would address a huge issue many of us have. Please keep us posted.

I love some of the responses here.

Thread: Anyone have any issues with the new format?

Response 1: yeah, uh, I have a few issues.

Response 2: UGH! people complain about everything! Get used to it!

Like a van labeled "free hugs." There aren't any hugs in there, it's just at trap.

Agree with the other posters about not having the page numbers at the bottom listed out makes navigating through a thread a bit more difficult. Also, although the little arrow that lets you jump all the way up the page is still there, there’s no longer a “down” arrow to jump all the way to the bottom anymore. It would be nice to have that back, too.

Page numbers are back for both desktop and mobile views.

I have also made some changes to the navigation at the top of the forum (desktop)/roll out menu (mobile). This includes adding a view for "Unread Watched Threads". Please let me know if you have questions or suggestions on what items are most useful to have in this menu.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the basic, my eyes appreciate it. But I have a question: before, there was the little section about likes and #of posts...is that not visible in the basic? If not, that is fine by me, I just was not sure if ya'll had meant that to happen or not.:):):):)

This might just be my preference, but one of the things that makes accounts seem more involved in the SDN community are when they replace the stock account photo with their own image. Now, every account photo is unique with the first character of their username being the center of the image with a unique color as well. That makes all the accounts seem unique and it becomes a little harder to scroll through the feed looking for members that often contribute. My suggestion would be to keep the first character aspect but instead of having all the colors just make them all blue? That way its unique but also easy on the eyes. Again, this may just be my preference but I think it would make the interface much better!

-- also I liked being able to immediately see how many comments/likes someone has on the platform, rather than having to click the drop down on SDN style (whats worse is that its not even available in basic)

Thank you for the basic, my eyes appreciate it. But I have a question: before, there was the little section about likes and #of posts...is that not visible in the basic? If not, that is fine by me, I just was not sure if ya'll had meant that to happen or not.:):):):)
Click the avatar.

Page numbers are back for both desktop and mobile views.

I have also made some changes to the navigation at the top of the forum (desktop)/roll out menu (mobile). This includes adding a view for "Unread Watched Threads". Please let me know if you have questions or suggestions on what items are most useful to have in this menu.
It doesn't work. Brings up all unread OR watched threads, not AND. So it comes out to be a list of 100% of unread threads.

facebook error on login

xaGOaB7.png

It doesn't work. Brings up all unread OR watched threads, not AND. So it comes out to be a list of 100% of unread threads.
Was just coming here to say this

@WildWing Thank you for working on the unread watched thread option! It looks like it includes all new threads along with the watched threads that are unread though (at least in the chrome browser on mobile, haven't checked desktop yet)

In regards to having to click on the dropdown menu in order to see the number of posts/likes, as @Raryn said you could click on a user's name and/or avatar OR you could just hover over their name and/or avatar too :) Not sure if this works in basic or not, but could "save" the step of having to click to see that info.

In regards to having to click on the dropdown menu in order to see the number of posts/likes, as @Raryn said you could click on a user's name and/or avatar OR you could just hover over their name and/or avatar too :) Not sure if this works in basic or not, but could "save" the step of having to click to see that info.
Good to know! I still think it's something that should just be displayed so you immediately know that information when seeing someone's post though.

Was just coming here to say this

@WildWing Thank you for working on the unread watched thread option! It looks like it includes all new threads along with the watched threads that are unread though (at least in the chrome browser on mobile, haven't checked desktop yet)
Just checked and it's the same on desktop

I think it's that it is including all threads in watched forums as well as the individual watched threads, which means for me it is displaying ALL the pre-vet threads o.o

Good to know! I still think it's something that should just be displayed so you immediately know that information when seeing someone's post though.
I understand, that was more of a quick-fix for now until we find out if that sort of layout can return again or not :)

basic version is great. No complaints anymore. No longer feel like I'm going to need to see my optometrist immediately.

@WildWing, from this thread: Watched Threads - No option to view only unread Watched threads. it looks like they nixed the direct link to show unread watched threads... but that's as of January 2019, so I dunno if they re-added it.

Also from that thread, someone made a paid add-on that's $25 up-front + $15 annual renewal fee: Watched Thread Filtering

Yuck. I'll continue seeing if there's any filtering option that's exposed, at least what I can see as a user.

Edit: Last post is from March 25, 2019, saying a lot of members are bummed about this, so it's possibly still not re-added.

Edit 2: This post from XF Mike allows users to "Filter" and then "Save as Default":

191724-d0f0d666f414c95081fba94a3d513272.jpg

Edit 3: OK, Mike's suggested workaround of using the Filter doesn't even work. Watched means "Watched Forum" rather than "Watched Threads." :smack: So setting the filters like shown in that screenshot only shows unread threads in every forum I'm watching.

-------------------

Edit 4: OK, here's what I think. I think this is something that XF Developers need to address, since -- looking at the Filter screenshot that XF Mike posted above -- that Filter UI is available in both the What's New --> New Threads and What's New --> New Posts.

Specifically, what I'd like to see the developers carve out is the Filter checkbox for "Watched Content."

• Current behavior: It's defined as any content in a forum that I watch. This is silly and gives me thousands of threads.
  • Expected behavior: Create two options: "Watched Threads" and "Watched Forums" that are more granular/specific so we the users can specify exactly what we want and also so the filter can be set in the URL by forum admins. In other words, when I click "Unread Watched Threads," I expect to see exactly that, watched threads that are unread. Not a list of all threads in all watched forums, which pretty much defeats the purpose.

I almost want to create a XF forum account (been meaning to anyways as a prospective customer) just so I can suggest this to the development team. Seems very straightforward to code, since it just seems like basic database querying and filtering/sorting. Nothing "new" that needs to really be done.

Last edited:
That looks like the thread from XenForo that I used to try and create the “Unread watched threads” link. It looks like it works for me but I will do more troubleshooting.
I think the problem is if you have watched *forums* set up as well. Because those trigger the filter.

Not sure if it got lost in the thread, but wanted to make sure it was seen, since a couple others mentioned it too. Can we get page numbers back and the next/previous/page number buttons at the top too please?
Also, the save/delete draft button on both the basic and default themes is missing on the mobile browser version (haven’t checked dark).
Also, the strike through button is no longer a thing on mobile browsers! @WildZoo :p

Hey, @WildWing I like the redesign!

Commenting on the "unread threads" issue, with this new website design I click on the bell shape (alerts). The alerts list out all new posts on my watched threads. I have it set up that way in my settings, and I just get alerts but not emails every time something posts in my watched threads.

Using it this way is just as easy as having an "unread watched threads" button.