Usc Keck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

appliepie789

Reaction score
Hello! I’m currently a pre med undergrad who is a little behind on racking up my extracurriculars. My dream school would be Keck of USC. My question is what is this school looking for in its applicants? The pre med journey for me has been very confusing and at times cataclysmic lol (as I’m sure it’s been for everyone) can anyone help? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I’m currently a pre med undergrad who is a little behind on racking up my extracurriculars. My dream school would be Keck of USC. My question is what is this school looking for in its applicants? The pre med journey for me has been very confusing and at times cataclysmic lol (as I’m sure it’s been for everyone) can anyone help? :(
USC is looking for the same qualities as any other school. Your goal should be to get into any medical school, and not one school in particular. Having even just one acceptance anywhere is a major achievement in itself.

The questions that I ask myself when I review an application:
  1. Has this student adequately explored medicine as a career? Is their decision well informed?
  2. Will this student do well academically and do they have the skillsets and experiences needed to succeed as a medical student and future physician?
  3. Is this student someone I would want to teach on the wards and eventually have as a colleague one day?
  4. Will this student contribute to the class and to the school's mission?
The answers to these questions are obtained from an applicant's grades, letters of recommendation, overall narrative from their life story and extracurricular experiences, interview(s), etc. For extracurricular experiences, you should aim to have shadowing, clinical experience (paid or volunteering), volunteering/service to those less fortunate, and research. Other categories that are looked upon highly include teaching and leadership (if this is part of the school's mission, see point #4). When choosing which experiences to pursue, think about how this fits into your overall narrative. Hope this helps.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users