Usc VS Pitt residential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zooooou00

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I just got off the general waitlist of Pitt residential. Does anyone have any idea of Pitt compared to USC?
I know these two schools are great, they have very good reputations and curriculum structures.
A little bit of background. I am an international student so the location may not be a big issue for me since I have to rent a place anyways. But the cost is way way way much different from these two great schools. USC is about 77k a year and Pitt is 16k per term.
Could anyone from Pitt or have been to their open house give me a little clue about how their program is?

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot to mention that I did my Master's degree at USC pt division. So I kinda have some connections with professors and students.

I do understand money matters the most. I have to admit that the 100k difference in tuition is a lot. But what if I would like to work and live in LA after graduation?

Pitt is a fantastic program and $100k is more than a downpayment on a house most places. $100k will make a very big difference the rest of your life. Pitt is also a much more affordable place to live. This is really a no brainer. You can work wherever you'd like after PT school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt is a fantastic program and $100k is more than a downpayment on a house most places. $100k will make a very big difference the rest of your life. Pitt is also a much more affordable place to live. This is really a no brainer. You can work wherever you'd like after PT school.
Thank you for your advice!
Yes, I know money matters the most. I am just a little bit concerned about if I could get a job in CA easier with USC over Pitt.
Thank you again!

I visited Pitt and I really liked their facilities. They have multiple classrooms with an inpatient simulation room with real hospital beds, IV stands, etc. that are exactly the same as the ones they have at the real hospitals near by. I shadowed at the clinic where a couple were Pitt alum and they were absolutely fantastic clinicians!

As for the location, they are located 10 ish mins away from the college town/undergrad campus where most of the cool cafes, shops, etc. and libraries/study spots are. THe gym is also at the undergrad campus. The PT building is a bit removed from that place which is unfortunate but the building is really pretty and it has access to a patio for students to study too. Pittsburgh is ranked as one of the most liveable cities too!

Idk anything about USC's program so can't comment on that but they both seem like really great schools. I think Pitt is well-known enough that you shouldn't have much issues getting a job outside of Pittsburgh

I visited Pitt and I really liked their facilities. They have multiple classrooms with an inpatient simulation room with real hospital beds, IV stands, etc. that are exactly the same as the ones they have at the real hospitals near by. I shadowed at the clinic where a couple were Pitt alum and they were absolutely fantastic clinicians!

As for the location, they are located 10 ish mins away from the college town/undergrad campus where most of the cool cafes, shops, etc. and libraries/study spots are. THe gym is also at the undergrad campus. The PT building is a bit removed from that place which is unfortunate but the building is really pretty and it has access to a patio for students to study too. Pittsburgh is ranked as one of the most liveable cities too!

Idk anything about USC's program so can't comment on that but they both seem like really great schools. I think Pitt is well-known enough that you shouldn't have much issues getting a job outside of Pittsburgh
Thank you for your comment with this helpful information! Yes, their's facilities and the environment are pretty good. May I ask which school did you finally choose?
The only concern for me is that they condense the DPT program from 3 years to 2.3 years, which I am afraid of whether I have enough time in learning skills and be a rounded practitioner.

Thank you for your comment with this helpful information! Yes, their's facilities and the environment are pretty good. May I ask which school did you finally choose?
The only concern for me is that they condense the DPT program from 3 years to 2.3 years, which I am afraid of whether I have enough time in learning skills and be a rounded practitioner.
So I'm committed to Pitt but I'm waiting to hear back from another school (will know by March/April)! If I get into the other program I will withdraw from Pitt. Are you still deciding??

Yeah they mentioned the shortening during open house and they said they just moved some classes to be fully online I think. They said they wouldn't make the change if they thought it would compromise the quality of their education. Idk exactly when they made the switch but there might be some current students you could talk to?

So I'm committed to Pitt but I'm waiting to hear back from another school (will know by March/April)! If I get into the other program I will withdraw from Pitt. Are you still deciding??

Yeah they mentioned the shortening during open house and they said they just moved some classes to be fully online I think. They said they wouldn't make the change if they thought it would compromise the quality of their education. Idk exactly when they made the switch but there might be some current students you could talk to?
Yes, I am still on the fence between USC and Pitt. May I ask why would you withdraw the Pitt if get into others? I feel like Pitt has a very great reputation and the tuition is not that bad.
Personally, I like USC better because they offer longer clinical rotations and I like their orthopedic classes. But it's just overpriced.
And I am worried about the quality of the condensed curriculum, I will dnf ask some current students about that. I have already put the deposit on USC but I could also put a deposit on Pitt since the tuition difference is way bigger than that.

Yes, I am still on the fence between USC and Pitt. May I ask why would you withdraw the Pitt if get into others? I feel like Pitt has a very great reputation and the tuition is not that bad.
Personally, I like USC better because they offer longer clinical rotations and I like their orthopedic classes. But it's just overpriced.
And I am worried about the quality of the condensed curriculum, I will dnf ask some current students about that. I have already put the deposit on USC but I could also put a deposit on Pitt since the tuition difference is way bigger than that.
Ah gotcha. I’ll PM you!