Vanderbilt MD vs SUNY Upstate MD PHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorsoontobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any input.... really mean it. I just got a phone call from SUNY Upstate admission. I didn't expect to get in so I already accepted Vandy MD. I always intend to do research even with MD program, though I don't want to do strictly research for my career afterward.
My scholarship for Vandy is only 50% and I am dirt poor (the rest will come out of loans) so the money from the MD PhD program would mean alot, though I understand that it's not the right reason to go with MD PHD. I am supposed to give them my answer tomorrow. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctorsoontobe said:
I would appreciate any input.... really mean it. I just got a phone call from SUNY Upstate admission. I didn't expect to get in so I already accepted Vandy MD. I always intend to do research even with MD program, though I don't want to do strictly research for my career afterward.
My scholarship for Vandy is only 50% and I am dirt poor (the rest will come out of loans) so the money from the MD PhD program would mean alot, though I understand that it's not the right reason to go with MD PHD. I am supposed to give them my answer tomorrow. Any advice?

I am going against what I ALWAYS say but go for Vandy!! I was at Vanderbilt and it is AMAZINGGGGGGGGG. Congrats!!

hey, i'm current vandy student. one of my classmates formerly of class of 07 was initially admitted as MD. After her second year, she decided to apply to the mstp program and got admitted. I think there was another girl who was ready to apply to the mstp program but backed off at the end. the girl who got mstp after first two years didn't get her first two years of loans forgiven though, i don't think. if u do resonably well during first year, i don't think u'd have problem applying to the mstp at vandy.

on a side note, our curriculum's undergoing tons of changes recently so i won't be able to comment much on the first couple of years. for 3rd years, medicine and surgery rotations are now 11 wks w/ 1 wk "intersession" where they discuss various topics...no clue what it's about...but sounds somewhat like extended orientation to particular rotation; peds, ob/gyn, pscyh, and neuro are now 5.5 wks w/ the 1 wk intersession too (not sure how spaced out and if the interssesion is included in the 5.5 wks). 4year year rotations are standard 4 wk rotations. i think they're planning to combine some of the basic sciences courses into new courses, such as combining neurology/pyschology and psych/nuero related pharmacology into a new course. i also heard they were modifying the gross anatomy course someone to decrease class time and/or content (the course in previous years has been brutal). again, tke these comments w/ grain of salt. i haven't kept in touch w/ curriculum changes but that's just random things i heard here and there. check w/ ur student hosts or interview tour guides for further info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you :) I like Vanderbilt too, second visit weekend left me with lots of good impressions about the school

Doctorsoontobe said:
Thank you :) I like Vanderbilt too, second visit weekend left me with lots of good impressions about the school

Vandy

Vanderbilt is way better than Upstate.