Virginia Tech vs Medical College of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virginia Tech or Medical College of Georgia

• Virginia Tech

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • Medical College of Georgia

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

TheHomelander

Reaction score
Virginia Tech

Pros

(+++) Stronger match on average

(++) Research is heavily emphasized in the curriculum although it seems like you kind of have your hand held through it which is annoying. There's also a research course you have to take as well in preclinical, and you have to take exams about research? It seems silly and I'm sure I'd hate it. Still, for competitive residencies in the P/F step 1 era, research is sure to be even more important, so it's in the pro column.

(+) NBME exams. They claim questions are taken directly from old STEP exams

(+) Small class size offers an easy way to form good connections with faculty and get good LoR

(+) systems based. Each block is 8 weeks. The 7th week of each block consists of all the exams you take for that block (basically one exam/day that week). Then you get the 8th week off to do whatever you want.

(+) My SO (moving with me) liked Roanoke more than Augusta. I think I did too.

(+) On average, stronger scores on both step 1 & 2, but not meaningfully different from MCG (not that step 1 score matters anymore). Still their step 2 average is 249 so pretty good. Step 1 was 242 before P/F.

(+) During rotations, lots of one on one time with attendings, being first assist on surgeries, things like that since it’s a smaller academic hospital.

(+) 100% match rate every year in existence except 2021 I believe. This also includes SOAP though.

(++) The class tends to be more non-traditional students. My peers will likely be more interesting, come from different perspectives at VTC than MCG.

(++) They seem to have a bit more pull for residencies in the Northeast, which is where I want to get back to for residency.

(+) There is no commit to enroll deadline, so I could remain on the waitlist for the schools I prefer to attend all the way until orientation in late July

Cons

(--) VT lacks several competitive residencies: Ortho, ENT, Radiology, Anesthesia, Optho are all missing.

(----) PBL is the cornerstone of the curriculum. They meet Monday, Wednesday, Friday, for 3 hours at a time each week for the 2 years of preclinical. This seems like a massive time sink and I think I would quickly come to hate it.

(--) Just lots of mandatory things in general. Seems like you can count on being in some kind of required activity 8-5 3 days per week.

(--) I’ve also read that admin is salty about students never going to the optional lectures so they’re thinking of revamping them to make them more “engaging” and making them mandatory. Along with the other required activities, this would occupy my time pretty much 8-5 every weekday. I would kill myself. Again, this is just hearsay atm.

(--) Roanoke is truly in the middle of nowhere. It’s a neat area, but definitely for outdoorsy people. I have a feeling my SO would come to hate it, even if she seems ok with it now. The social scene for folks our age seemed nonexistent when we visited.

(-) Bench research is in plentiful supply, but clinical research seems to be harder to come by.

(--) Currently, VTC would cost me an additional ~$120k all said and done.

(-) It's a newer program. With such a small class size, they’ve probably only got somewhere in the neighborhood of 450-500 attending physician alumni nationwide. So, tiny alumni network.

(-) The class size kind of scares me. 49 students sounds cool on paper, but if I don’t jive with anyone in that small group, the 2 years of preclinical will be lonely.

(--) According to locals, lots of overcast and gloomy weather, which seems to be problematic for the city’s main selling point of being “outdoorsy”

Medical College of Georgia

Pros

(++) About ~$120k cheaper COA

(++) Super nice, updated facilities.

(+++) They have home programs for just about every residency I could see myself interested in, outside of integrated thoracic.

(+) Seems to have a strong reputation in the Southeast, even if nationally its somewhat iffy.

(+)1.5 year preclinical, which I think would be ideal

(++) Very well established with an expansive alumni network

(+++) Less PBL (~4 hours/week) and fewer mandatory activities than VTC, giving me time to study the way I learn best

(+) Augusta is a very lackluster city but it is ~2 hours from Atlanta, which is one of my favorite cities in the world.\

(++) There seems to be a fair amount of clinical research available if you’re willing to do the work to find it

(+) From what I can tell, there also seems to be a week after each block to chill or focus on something other than studying

Cons

(---) My SO (who will be moving with me) did not like Augusta when we visited

(-) There is definitely a primary care focus. It makes sense, that’s the school's whole mission, but they also have plenty of folks who match to surgical subspecialties and things like that

(---) I could probably count on two hands the number of people in the class who didn’t go to either UGA, Georgia Tech, Emory, or Augusta for undergrad. Many come from the same suburbs of Atlanta and have lived similar lives before med school. A few even did the BS/MD track at Augusta and are like 21 years old. As someone in my mid/late 20's who took a more circuitous route to medicine, I'd prefer my peers to have a little more life experience.

(--) At second look day, they mentioned they were moving to exams written by professors “written in the style of step exams.

(--) Match list is pretty underwhelming, although they clearly can match people to plenty of specialties.

(--) I hate the regional campus model, I do not want to do rotations in Bum****, Georgia. Apparently, you can apply for exceptions if you’re engaged though so I may be able to stay throughout Augusta during clinical years.

(---) There are people in the class and classes above me from my hometown. This one is very personal, but I would hate this.

(---) Most of their matches, especially in competitive specialties, are concentrated in the Southeast. I do not want to live in the region long term.

(-) Commit to enroll deadline is July 5th. I mean, if I haven’t gotten off these waitlists by July, it’s probably not gonna happen, but still, there’s a chance I get screwed by this CTE deadline.

(-) Class size is ~200 students on the Augusta campus. Part of me thinks it could be good to find the people I really jive with but I have a feeling that it would just be really cliquey.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Roanoke has a bit of everything but you generally have to dig a bit under the surface to find the groups.

It's in a decent spot though for weekends / break visits if you want to travel somewhere else (Blacksburg, Charlottsville, Richmond, NC). Having an airport is pretty big. The Amtrak goes places as well and some are very cheap. $9 to Charlottsville, $15 to DC.

I think the cheaper option could definitely be the play. Although, I heard those 3 hour PBLs were basically like episodes of "house" where you all sit around ddx complicated cases. To me that sounded very exciting :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Your post leans heavily toward Virginia Tech and I would agree that that is the right move. Some factors that stuck out above the rest:
-How significant is the SO? If they are moving with you, I would assume decently significant. If you see yourself with this SO during medical school, then you better weigh their opinion on location heavily. Being in a relationship with someone in medical school is already hard enough, if you want them to come with and stay with, I'd personally put quite the importance on their feelings.
-Academic quality of life. Smaller class size, stronger match, NBME-based exams :)love:!!!), research arranged (I know you don't like hand-holding here, but its not a restriction on further research. It's a safety net.), first-assist opportunities, etc. Not only will many of these make you a better physician, they will take some stress off.
-Are you sure you want to do residency in the northeast? Like you said, MCG has a reputation in the south, not that much elsewhere. If you want to spend the rest of your life in the southeast, MCG is an amazing option. But that is where you will have the most success. Rotations will be in boonies GA at times and residency will likely be similar. Whether self-selected to attend MCG or students are pushed that route (or maybe only competitive for GA), their match numbers brag about the majority of students doing primary care in GA.

There are a lot of other things at play here that add up, but are each of lower importance. Diversity of class, CTE, hearsay, etc. The big things I would look at though are the SO and your residency desires. The rest will likely be fine at either school. If you want to do something competitive, do not want to do residency in the south (statistically), and want to make the SO as happy as possible (inferring from your post, take with salt), then I would go VT.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
(-) Class size is ~200 students on the Augusta campus. Part of me thinks it could be good to find the people I really jive with but I have a feeling that it would just be really cliquey.
I think you will find people you jive with, but you can do that at either class size. This large will likely end up cliquey like high school.

(Idk how to do more quotes)
"(---) My SO (who will be moving with me) did not like Augusta when we visited"
Could be a deal killer depending on your relationship

"(---) Most of their matches, especially in competitive specialties, are concentrated in the Southeast. I do not want to live in the region long term."
I think this answers the question tbh.

"I'd prefer my peers to have a little more life experience."
Especially if you are worried about it being cliquey

"(++) About ~$120k cheaper COA"
This is definitely something to consider. I think it is a small enough difference for 4 years of medical school to not be a huge deal though. Some X vs Y posts have a 300k difference and it's still not enough to flip it.

Almost all of your negatives for Virginia include some form of "seems to be" "hearsay." Rightfully so to be anxious about this big decision, but don't throw out a good option for speculation. Without knowing more about your situation and desires, the hard facts push more for Virginia. I mean honestly, its Virginia Tech versus the Medical College of Georgia.

Reactions: 3 users
I will be attending MCG, am in my mid/late-20s (with a kid and long-term partner) and attended undergrad in the northeast! So I'm hoping there will be other students there too who had a somewhat "different" path. Also, where did you get your info on exam style and details on the curriculum layout? I'm currently trying to learn more about all of that! I wish you the very best regardless of your decision!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I recognize you from the MCG thread. Congrats on the multiple acceptances and waitlists! Like I said in the thread, I am withdrawing my acceptance from MCG. My reasons and pro/cons list are pretty similar to what you put. I wouldn't let other factors scare you away from where you will be most happy. I am sure you would do great at both schools, but Virginia seems to match with your plans better and has a more secure future. Either way, congrats!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Virginia Tech is a unique school and one with a lot of positives. I have some experience / knowledge via a friend. As you noted, their average Step scores have been quite high --- I mean they compare well with some prestigious med schools. They also match pretty well --- quite well I would say for being such a new / small school.

The small class size provides for more interaction with faculty and less competition for opportunities like mentoring, shadowing, extracurriculars, etc. And when it comes to residency application, that small class size allows for more individual attention and help with preparation. On your rotations, you won't be standing in the back observing.

The class is diverse in terms of the geographic locations they draw from and also the ages / life experiences of the students. My friend has already made life-long friends at the school. Male / female mix is skewed in recent years with many more females if that matters.

Yes, the research element is built into the program but that's not limiting. It's not hard at all to find projects/mentors. And the structure will keep you on track. The research arm of the school / health system is literally adjacent (attached) to the medical school. The hospital is a few hundred yards from the school. It's all right there. No driving around for anything except maybe once per block for the preclinical years' outpatient/preceptor experience --- depending on where you get assigned.

You might want to re-think your view of PBL. The feedback I've heard is that many students absolutely love it. First year is more challenging, second year a little easier with fewer presentations. There are a lot of in class hours at VTC, particularly during first year. Lots of clinical skills training included. Most I think is a plus, some as you have stated are a waste. All in all, from what I hear, it is manageable.

Another observation is the dedication and friendliness of the staff and faculty. The small class size creates an incredible community wherein the staff, faculty, and students really know each other well. It's a very caring / nurturing environment. This is a huge plus for my friend.

The hospital is big and has an enormous catchment area. Roanoke is on the eastern edge of Appalachia and so you'll see some stuff.

Roanoke is a pretty decent place and cost of living is quite low. The social scene isn't like big city (late night clubs and that sort of thing) but there are lots of bars, restaurants, breweries, etc. With the non-trad nature of the class, clubbing and all that crazy stuff isn't too high of a priority for most. Roanoke's draw is the natural beauty of the area, a cool little city, and the outdoor recreational stuff, with biking and hiking (and craft beer afterwards!) a key part of the culture. You're literally like a 10-15 minute drive from Appalachian Trail trailheads. Shenandoah National Park is a couple hours away, and the school is 5-10 minutes off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Winters are mild, summers hot but not as bad as some other southern locations. The natural beauty in the fall and spring is a plus.

The negatives (relative cost compared to MCG, the number of "class or in-person" hours, and lack of home programs for some specialties) are something to consider. But I think the above points outweigh those negatives unless you are already absolutely sold on a specialty having no VTC home program.

The in-person stuff is really only about 20 months and frankly I think most of it contributes well to preparing you for STEP exams, rotations, and becoming the doctor you want to be. I don't subscribe to the idea that you should spend your first two years of med school holed up in an apartment or corner of a coffee shop and just studying Anki, etc. all the time. Medical school can be a great phase of life and a wonderful time to engage with the amazing people around you as you move through this shared experience.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users