WAMC? 3.5, 509, ORM NC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bingus101

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m planning on applying to primarily DO schools, plus a few MD’s (Brody SOM amongst others)

Stats:
3.55 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, slight upward trend
509 (128,125,126,130)

My LORS are not going to be amazing tbh, i scored well in the classes but didn’t interact with professors as much as I should’ve

My extracurriculars:

450 hours non-clinical volunteering:
-President of service club, 3 years of leadership and community service, extremely meaningful experience working with underserved communities affected by the pandemic
-volunteering at animal shelter
-respite care volunteer for hospice service

800 hours paid clinical experience:
-EMT in medically underserved community
-COVID booster vaccinator

160 hours clinical volunteering at free clinic

50 hours shadowing 4 docs (DO physician, primary care, psychiatrist, cardiologist)

No research

Hobby: 4+ years of weightlifting

My personal statement is currently focused on my desire to improve preventative care in underserved communities

I would appreciate any input about my chances for higher tier DO schools or any MD’s, especially Brody SOM!

School list:
ECU BSOM
PCOM
UNECOM
CUSOM
CCOM
VCOM-carolina
KCUCOM
DMUCOM
WVSOM
Rowan virtua
MSUCOM
RVUCOM
TOURO-CA
VCOM-VA
PCOM GA
NYITCOM
TOURO NV
TOURO-Harlem
ATSU-COM
LECOM-PA
DUQCOM
PNWU-COM
Noorda
Western COMP NW

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats. You could add these MD schools:
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
East Carolina
Belmont
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

Welcome to the forums.

Why are you submitting a less than ideal application? You admit your LORs are not going to help you, and compared to many other applicants in the pool, you are hoping for a hail mary.

What's your major? You say you want to "improve preventative care in underserved communities," so why not just pursue an MPH instead of being a physician? Get an MSW?

There's nothing that completely flags your application to me, though you need to prove your purpose. Take a year in Americorps and show me how you understand underserved communities. If you came from rural NC, ECU and Campbell will go for you, but you need a stronger track record to back your purpose. Physicians aren't involved in just preventative care as much as other career paths like optometry, pharmacy, or nursing.