WAMC possibly reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercyfriend

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! TLDR: I’ve been here for a long time, and one of the most wonderful things to happen to me was an acceptance to WesternU! The thing is, tuition really did shoot up the last time I saw it. I have a thing where one of the things that my mental health is dependent on is financial stability, so while I was applying I was getting myself ready for being around 320k in debt. Adding around 80k more sorta isn’t sitting right with me, but I’m sure with more mindfulness I’ll get to accepting the cost and working around loans. But one of the choices that has been pulling at my chest is possibly reapplying to get into a cheaper school. On this cycle, I got an interview for UC Davis, but that was when they were still accepting GRE scores. I don’t know for sure how my GPA will shine without the GRE cushioning it a little bit. What I’m hoping for help in deciding is: should I try to reapply and with my stats, would I be able to get an interview with UC Davis again? Thank you!!

TLDR: I was accepted into a school where tuition sure did rise, and should I try to defer and reapply to Davis where I had an interview for but was rejected (when they were still counting GRE)

Stats:
Cumulative GPA: 3.7
science GPA: 3.68
last 45: 3.84

BS in Molecular and Medical Microbiology

GRE: Q161/V158/W5.5

Veterinary Experience:

- current job: lab animal tech at university department directed by vet - 480 hr and more (it’s a pretty cool job, I did a few necropsies and it solidified my interest in pathology)
- shadow large animal vet - 8 hours
- local small animal general practice - 2720 hr
- emergency vet hospital - 400 hr
- wildlife rehabilitation center - 264 hr
- vet clinics for homeless/low income - 128 hr
- intern at veterinary teaching hospital - 112 hr
- husbandry intern for poultry farm used for research by a vet - 112 hr
- highschool intern at local hospital - 40 hr

Animal Experience:
- bird rescue - 8 hr lol
- does working with bees count

Research Experience:
- undergraduate researcher for entomology lab ~50 hr
- lab assistant for plant pathology lab - 384 hr

Awards/scholarships:
- scholarships from high school
- valedictorian from high school
- deans list for two quarters

Extracurriculars:
- prevet club
- club to support diversity in vet field
- club for community service
- one of the coordinators for a vet clinic for homeless

Employment:
- lab tech for clinical lab at veterinary teaching hospital - 550 hr

I’m recognizing certain behaviors that determine that I am potentially in a fragile mental state, so please only have polite and constructive answers!! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! TLDR: I’ve been here for a long time, and one of the most wonderful things to happen to me was an acceptance to WesternU! The thing is, tuition really did shoot up the last time I saw it. I have a thing where one of the things that my mental health is dependent on is financial stability, so while I was applying I was getting myself ready for being around 320k in debt. Adding around 80k more sorta isn’t sitting right with me, but I’m sure with more mindfulness I’ll get to accepting the cost and working around loans. But one of the choices that has been pulling at my chest is possibly reapplying to get into a cheaper school. On this cycle, I got an interview for UC Davis, but that was when they were still accepting GRE scores. I don’t know for sure how my GPA will shine without the GRE cushioning it a little bit. What I’m hoping for help in deciding is: should I try to reapply and with my stats, would I be able to get an interview with UC Davis again? Thank you!!

TLDR: I was accepted into a school where tuition sure did rise, and should I try to defer and reapply to Davis where I had an interview for but was rejected (when they were still counting GRE)

Stats:
Cumulative GPA: 3.7
science GPA: 3.68
last 45: 3.84

BS in Molecular and Medical Microbiology

GRE: Q161/V158/W5.5

Veterinary Experience:

- current job: lab animal tech at university department directed by vet - 480 hr and more (it’s a pretty cool job, I did a few necropsies and it solidified my interest in pathology)
- shadow large animal vet - 8 hours
- local small animal general practice - 2720 hr
- emergency vet hospital - 400 hr
- wildlife rehabilitation center - 264 hr
- vet clinics for homeless/low income - 128 hr
- intern at veterinary teaching hospital - 112 hr
- husbandry intern for poultry farm used for research by a vet - 112 hr
- highschool intern at local hospital - 40 hr

Animal Experience:
- bird rescue - 8 hr lol
- does working with bees count

Research Experience:
- undergraduate researcher for entomology lab ~50 hr
- lab assistant for plant pathology lab - 384 hr

Awards/scholarships:
- scholarships from high school
- valedictorian from high school
- deans list for two quarters

Extracurriculars:
- prevet club
- club to support diversity in vet field
- club for community service
- one of the coordinators for a vet clinic for homeless

Employment:
- lab tech for clinical lab at veterinary teaching hospital - 550 hr

I’m recognizing certain behaviors that determine that I am potentially in a fragile mental state, so please only have polite and constructive answers!! Thank you.
Hello! I think you have some pretty good stats! Your GPA is strong, and you have a lot of vet experience. I don’t know specifically about UC Davis, but I would look at other schools that are significantly cheaper. I did this by looking at VIN & really studying each school I was interested in page. In particular, Ohio State and Mizzou as you can get in state tuition after one year. Did you apply to any other schools? I definitely get the worry of the increased cost, and don’t think you should beat yourself up about being concerned- cost is a concern. Your mental health is so important- you should prioritize this and yourself. I do think you would have a great shot at getting into other schools next cycle, so I wouldn’t be as concerned with never getting another “yes”. It’s a risk you may take, but I don’t think I would be too concerned given your stats. There are a lot of really good schools that have a lower total cost at the end. Remember that you are investing in yourself. Probably an unpopular opinion by many- but have you thought about doing a 1 year masters? There are some schools that even have a 9- month MS ( Mizzou) that are relatively cheap. This may be a good option if you decide to defer a year to strengthen your application more ( not that I think it needs much). I have gotten so much positive feedback about pursuing a masters! Your welcome private message me too. I would be willing to look over your application!

First and most importantly, not all the details of the selection changes following the removal of the GRE have been announced. I think you'll better be able to gauge your chances of interview when they post that information. That info will allegedly be posted by late spring, so soon (hopefully).

Your GPAs look to be slightly below average for admits to Davis. I think with the GRE last year, it seems likely you got invited to interview based on stats alone rather than holistic. Based on your GPAs, and depending on this year's changes, I think it'd be +/- if you get invited on stats alone or have to go to holistic review.

I think your overall app is decent, but applying again and forgoing Western runs the risk of never attending vet school. Just be aware. If that risk is not acceptable to you, take the Western offer. If it is acceptable, I'd sit tight until Davis announces their admissions changes.

Also do keep in mind that, as mentioned, Western is more expensive than some OOS options if you don't mind leaving CA. Should consider those if reapplication imo.