WAMC Reapplication/Application Improvement Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Semsemrocks

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

Hello everyone,

I am a current applicant for the 2024 cycle who has not received any acceptances (yet–maybe, hopefully ). I am currently on 3 WLs and on hold at a 4th school. Without an acceptance and the next application cycle happening soon, I need to seriously think about reapplying. I’m hoping to get some feedback to help me improve my application.

When I applied, I had my premed advisor look over my application and he checked off my personal statement, activities, and school list. Now I’m questioning whether or not his opinion on my application was one I should have taken as fact.

I had a couple of people look over my application earlier this year when I realized there was a chance I would not get any acceptances, and I was told that it is very research heavy. To be honest, I didn’t realize that before, but now I see how it might be an issue. I also didn’t know about the importance of school mission until after applying so I applied to a few too many service-oriented schools (which pretty much all auto rejected me...real quick).

I received interviews from the following schools this cycle:
UCSF -> WL
USC -> WL
CUSM -> Hold
Pitt -> WL

I received good feedback from my UCSF and Pitt interviewers (told me they liked me/would score me well/wanted to see me next year, etc.). CUSM was asynchronous, Casper-type interview. USC seemed to go well but didn't get any direct feedback from interviewers (I was also deathly sick during this interview, so that was fun).

Here are my application details:

Stats and Test Scores:
- sGPA: 3.98
- cGPA; 3.97
- MCAT: 518 (130/128/129/131)
- Preview: 9
- Casper: 4th Q

Demographics:
- Residency: CA
- Ethnicity/Race: ORM
- Undergrad: Top UC

Activities:
Clinical Experience; Total Hours: 486 hours
  • COPE Health Scholars (hospital volunteering but actually get patient interaction); 286 hours
    • Most meaningful
    • Also shadowed an internal medicine physician (30 hours) and watched an orthopedic surgery (5 hours) during this experience.
  • Virtual Medical Scribe: 200 hours
    • During COVID
Research Experience; Total Hours: 1,070 hours + 2,450 projected
  • Lab Assistant at Neuroscience Lab: 2,000 hours projected
    • Started this position in June right after submitting my application
    • Translational research
    • Full-time
    • Will be on two publications (one second author, one further down the author list, publication dates unknown)
  • Neurosurgery research: 50 hours + 50 projected
    • Remote
  • Neuroscience clinical research: 500 hours + 200 projected
    • Project lead
    • Meta-analysis/systematic review type research.
    • 1 poster presentation at a school symposium.
  • Clinical/climate change/public health type research: 400 hours + 200 projected (letter of recommendation)
    • 1 poster presentation and won 3rd place award at national conference (1st author)
    • 1 publication in a mid-tier journal (3rd author). Publication in October so I sent updates to schools that allowed it/that I had not received a decision from yet
    • Currently editing a manuscript that will be submitted to a higher-tier journal
  • Undergraduate Lab: 120 hours
    • During COVID. Taught you the basics of research
Shadowing Experience; Total Hours: 100 hours + 35 hours (from clinical volunteering experience)
  • Neurosurgery shadowing: 100 hours (letter of recommendation)
Nonclinical Volunteering:
  • Part of a club that ships medical supplies overseas: 100 hours
(I know this is absolutely lame–I did so much volunteering during high school and it sucks I can’t add it here)

Other:
  • Head of Research and Education Committee (neurodegenerative disease related club): 150 hours
    • Made infographics about neurodegenerative diseases
  • Pre Med Honor Society Networking Officer: 500 hours
    • Most meaningful
    • Spoke to a lot of physicians through this and learned a lot about the medical field
  • Hobbies: 10,000 hours (since I was 8 years old)
    • Most meaningful
    • Cooking -- have a social media channel where I post videos and photos of food I make (dedicate a lot of time to this)
    • Working out/running
    • Music (I've played instruments basically my whole life)
Awards and Honors: None (I was on the Dean’s Honors List and received Highest Distinction at graduation but didn’t include these on my application—should I?)

School List: (I know it’s super top-heavy now...)
University of Michigan
Kaiser Permanente
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
NYU
Chicago Med
Columbia
Virginia
UPenn
Pittsburg
Mayo Clinic
Harvard
Yale
UCI
Case Western
Northwestern
Brown
UCLA
Johns Hopkins
KU (lived in Kansas for 15 years & was born here)
UCSD
Cornell
USC
UCSF
Emory
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Duke
California University of Science and Medicine
UC Davis - didn’t receive a secondary
Boston - didn’t realize they required Casper when I submitted primary. After CUSM required us to take Casper and paid for it I just sent it in and completed my secondary, so this was a late app.

Submitted all of my applications in July and August and attempted a two-week turnaround time. Most I was able to do within a week while others (like Duke, for example) took a little longer.

So, my question is, do you think that if I apply more strategically this coming cycle that I can have better results? How can I change my school list to better fit my application? What other changes should I make to my application and how do I approach making them better?

I am leaving my research position at the end of this month and thinking of doing something more community service oriented during this next gap year, like maybe AmeriCorps or something similar. What would you suggest?

Also, in case any one is suggesting taking an additional gap year--I would have to retake the MCAT (took it in summer 2022) which I do not want to go through if I do not need to!!

I appreciate any insight you can give me! Thank you so much for taking the time to look through my post and give me feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's a combination of your list/applying strategically and doing as you said: AmeriCorps or something like that in community service. 100 hours isn't really going to cut it (need 150 min), and I think given that the club to ship supplies didn't involve direct, face-to-face service some schools may have discounted it.

Don't give up hope on WL just yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's a combination of your list/applying strategically and doing as you said: AmeriCorps or something like that in community service. 100 hours isn't really going to cut it (need 150 min), and I think given that the club to ship supplies didn't involve direct, face-to-face service some schools may have discounted it.

Don't give up hope on WL just yet.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You got interviews at top schools, so you’re doing something right. Definitely don’t give up hope on those WL yet.

The non-clinical volunteering is very low, especially for schools like UCLA. I also think you’re relying on just the COPE hours for clinical volunteering and those hours are not that high imo. I would try to find an in-person scribe job or EMT role to gain clinical hours now so you can re-apply and project them. The problem is you really wouldn’t be able to “experience” these roles and gain lessons from them to apply to your app in just a few weeks, so if you don’t get off WL it might not be beneficial to simply re-apply right away if you’re not going to make significant changes to your app.

You also need a lot more non-clinical volunteering, which you already know. This is something that’s hard to gain in a month if you’re planning to re-apply immediately. Maybe it’s something that is an extension of your hobby, surprised there’s no food pantry/cooking for those in need activity since you love cooking and that seems like a natural extension of your hobby to help others?

Also I think your app could be stronger if your strategized your most meaningful activities a bit better. Having a hobby and a networking role as most meaningful is fine, but that means 2/3 of your most meaningful experiences aren’t clinical (I know its not necessary, but I think in the context of your app specifically its important to highlight more clinical experiences since it’s more research heavy). Also, you have significant research but research isn’t indicated as an MME? (Correct me if wrong). This isn’t a requirement but I’d imagine with all those hours, it should be a significant experience impacting your medical journey (if not, dont force it).

So I think you have great stats but just ended up with an application that could have been more focused and impactful. Again, clearly you did something right because you got interviews at T10 programs. Congrats on the WL, I’m sure you’ll get off somewhere.

Edit to add: apply very broadly next cycle if needed.

Last edited:
You got interviews at top schools, so you’re doing something right. Definitely don’t give up hope on those WL yet.

The non-clinical volunteering is very low, especially for schools like UCLA. I also think you’re relying on just the COPE hours for clinical volunteering and those hours are not that high imo. I would try to find an in-person scribe job or EMT role to gain clinical hours now so you can re-apply and project them. The problem is you really wouldn’t be able to “experience” these roles and gain lessons from them to apply to your app in just a few weeks, so if you don’t get off WL it might not be beneficial to simply re-apply right away if you’re not going to make significant changes to your app.

You also need a lot more non-clinical volunteering, which you already know. This is something that’s hard to gain in a month if you’re planning to re-apply immediately. Maybe it’s something that is an extension of your hobby, surprised there’s no food pantry/cooking for those in need activity since you love cooking and that seems like a natural extension of your hobby to help others?

Also I think your app could be stronger if your strategized your most meaningful activities a bit better. Having a hobby and a networking role as most meaningful is fine, but that means 2/3 of your most meaningful experiences aren’t clinical (I know its not necessary, but I think in the context of your app specifically its important to highlight more clinical experiences since it’s more research heavy). Also, you have significant research but research isn’t indicated as an MME? (Correct me if wrong). This isn’t a requirement but I’d imagine with all those hours, it should be a significant experience impacting your medical journey (if not, dont force it).

So I think you have great stats but just ended up with an application that could have been more focused and impactful. Again, clearly you did something right because you got interviews at T10 programs. Congrats on the WL, I’m sure you’ll get off somewhere.

Edit to add: apply very broadly next cycle if needed.

Thank you so much for your reply! Very helpful!

When I applied, I had my premed advisor look over my application and he checked off my personal statement, activities, and school list. Now I’m questioning whether or not his opinion on my application was one I should have taken as fact.
Could you be specific about this? You are presenting high stats, so where do you think the advice is not on-target?
I had a couple of people look over my application earlier this year when I realized there was a chance I would not get any acceptances, and I was told that it is very research heavy. To be honest, I didn’t realize that before, but now I see how it might be an issue. I also didn’t know about the importance of school mission until after applying so I applied to a few too many service-oriented schools (which pretty much all auto rejected me...real quick).
As a few others have pointed out, your application is light on clinical and non-clinical experiences.

A tell-tale sign is that despite your obvious connection growing up in Kansas, KU passed you by. This rarely happens unless your application showed a mission mismatch. But KU does some research. This means your clinical/community connections to relate to Kansas residents was not apparent. You need to get their feedback.

1) Your COPE scholars shadowing adds to the 100 shadowing hours you declared. That's sufficient, and you don't need more shadowing. More clinical experience (paid or volunteering in clinical environments) is light. I disregard the virtual shadowing as it was necessary during COVID but doesn't replace real in-person hospital/clinical experiences. (Since you didn't break down your COPE Scholars activities, I don't know what you did with 250 hours of hospital volunteering.)

2) I think it is important to help deliver refurbished medical equipment to lesser-developed nations, but you need experiences that have you in-person helping others with non-medical needs. You said you did a lot more in high school, and in my opinion, Eagle Scout-level experiences can be mentioned but should demonstrate a longer-term commitment to serving others that carries through your undergraduate/pre-application years. That doesn't seem to be the case with your profile. Depending on impact, this could have helped you with demonstrating your connection with Kansas.

3) You say your application felt "research heavy" but I don't know if you consider the programs that interview you "research-focused." UCSF sure. But that's interesting you didn't get more attention from other research heavy schools.

What feedback did you get from UCSF and Pitt about improving your application? With your metrics, who wouldn't want to see someone who appears to comport themselves well in interviews, as anticipated from your Casper 4Q/PREview 9?

4) Yes, I think a full year of Americorps work will help you get 1000 hours of community service experience that is needed. You could also seek opportunities in hospice care or free/community clinic work.

Could you be specific about this? You are presenting high stats, so where do you think the advice is not on-target?

As a few others have pointed out, your application is light on clinical and non-clinical experiences.

A tell-tale sign is that despite your obvious connection growing up in Kansas, KU passed you by. This rarely happens unless your application showed a mission mismatch. But KU does some research. This means your clinical/community connections to relate to Kansas residents was not apparent. You need to get their feedback.

1) Your COPE scholars shadowing adds to the 100 shadowing hours you declared. That's sufficient, and you don't need more shadowing. More clinical experience (paid or volunteering in clinical environments) is light. I disregard the virtual shadowing as it was necessary during COVID but doesn't replace real in-person hospital/clinical experiences. (Since you didn't break down your COPE Scholars activities, I don't know what you did with 250 hours of hospital volunteering.)

2) I think it is important to help deliver refurbished medical equipment to lesser-developed nations, but you need experiences that have you in-person helping others with non-medical needs. You said you did a lot more in high school, and in my opinion, Eagle Scout-level experiences can be mentioned but should demonstrate a longer-term commitment to serving others that carries through your undergraduate/pre-application years. That doesn't seem to be the case with your profile. Depending on impact, this could have helped you with demonstrating your connection with Kansas.

3) You say your application felt "research heavy" but I don't know if you consider the programs that interview you "research-focused." UCSF sure. But that's interesting you didn't get more attention from other research heavy schools.

What feedback did you get from UCSF and Pitt about improving your application? With your metrics, who wouldn't want to see someone who appears to comport themselves well in interviews, as anticipated from your Casper 4Q/PREview 9?

4) Yes, I think a full year of Americorps work will help you get 1000 hours of community service experience that is needed. You could also seek opportunities in hospice care or free/community clinic work.

In terms of my pre-med advisors advice, I think it could’ve been helpful if he advised me to apply more broadly/to more “safety” schools or at least told me about mission fit and the fact that applying to schools like uchicago, Georgetown, and Boston would be a waste of money since my app is not geared towards their preference for service. He did advise me not to apply to UC riverside which I think was good considering I didn’t even get a secondary from Davis.

I should’ve looked deeper into KU. They actually have a list on what they consider OOS ties and me being born there and spending a majority of my life there actually doesn’t qualify as an OOS tie. I think that could’ve been a reason I didn’t get an interview. In their rejection email they said they don’t give any feedback so unfortunately I can’t know the exact reason. I’m sure my lack of service was another factor into why I didn’t get an interview.

1) For the COPE Health scholars program I rotated through 5 different floors on the hospital. I assisted the nurses and patient care technicians with simple tasks like repositioning, ambulating, feeding, taking vitals, etc. it was a great experience tbh. I went in almost everyday for a whole summer. This allowed me to actually get to know the patients staying for multiple days.

2) I did Girl Scouts but most of my service in high school involved volunteering at a senior living center and helping out at a bunch of community events. I did easily 300 hours.

3) Three of my four interviews were from research heavy schools. CUSM I think interviews most people if they pass a stat threshold and don’t have any red flags. I’m not sure why I didn’t get more interviews. Is there anything you see in my app that could point to why?

I haven’t been rejected yet from any of the schools I interviewed at so I have yet to ask for feedback. I’m setting up meetings with a couple of other schools I got rejected from to get some feedback though.

4) okay thank you! I will look into that

I appreciate you taking the time to look through my post and for all the good feedback!!

Hi Semsem! I think you could add Maryland given your heavy research background as well as Geisel. Jefferson could also be a good addition since I don’t think they have a super heavy IS bias

I think your research is great, so during this gap year you might want to add some meaningful clinical volunteering (maybe hospice or caretaker). Long term patient type experiments are wonderful to have and give you lots to talk about

Rooting for you during these WL decisions

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Semsem! I think you could add Maryland given your heavy research background as well as Geisel. Jefferson could also be a good addition since I don’t think they have a super heavy IS bias

I think your research is great, so during this gap year you might want to add some meaningful clinical volunteering (maybe hospice or caretaker). Long term patient type experiments are wonderful to have and give you lots to talk about

Rooting for you during these WL decisions

Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user