WAMC/School List/Non-Trad Reinvention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jstkeepswimming

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
REPOST DUE TO MULTIPLE UPDATES. Hello, I am looking for some advice on a school list/things to add or change. I am a California resident and an ORM.

GPA: GPA/Hours (this is my BCPM gpa, my everything else included cgpa is very close to this one, 3.04).
1715368187917.png

I took 60 credit hours in my post-bacc and maintained a 4.0 GPA.

A little background: I was just an unfocused student and a majority of my bad grades are from community college (almost 10 years ago now). I started turning it around in senior year at my state school (a UC) and then maintained a 4.0 during my 60 credit hour post-bacc (upper division science classes only).

MCAT:
My first attempt in 2022 was a 509 (126/128/127/128)
Second attempt in 2023 was a 513 (127/126/131/129)

Non-clinical volunteering:
- Big Brothers/Sisters of America since 2019 (mentoring children from a rough/underserved background) - 1000+ hours by June 1
- School on Wheels (weekly tutoring of disadvantaged children) - 50 hours by June 1
- Homeless shelter volunteer - 50 hours by June 1

Clinical:
Health Scholar at local hospital (similar to MA) ~ 180 hours
Ongoing - Full time Medical Scribe, paid - 600 hours by June 1
Shadowing - 20 hours IM, 50 hours Neurosurgery

Research:
Research assistant for my alma mater's SOM where we worked on opening a free clinic ~ 120 hours (poster pub)
Ongoing clinical research with the doctor I am working with (really interesting work in early detection of traumatic brain damage) - 100 hours by June 1

Other Hobbies:
- Piano since age 17
- Gardening for a few years now
- Big on reading

I have 3 great science professors who wrote me letters in my previous cycle and will do it again. I also have a letter from my supervisor from Big Brothers/Sisters. I secured a letter from the doctor I am currently working with as well. I am hoping to go MD so trying to maximize my chances there (nothing against DO).

I'm looking to get advice on my application and what parts should I work to improve. Is retaking the MCAT a good idea/necessary? Should I delay my application another year so I can have more on my resume?

I appreciate all the help and insights! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think we mentioned before, you should still keep DO on your list being a reinventing applicant. That said, I think you are okay with your activities.
Thanks for your feedback! I think that is a good idea. Fingers crossed on this cycle 🤞