WAMC thanks for any help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orcafin

Reaction score
P

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have an IS? Which schools are you interested in?

Your grades are good. I wouldn't worry about 2 B-'s. Your extracurriculars are good. Overall you look like a well rounded candidate to me :) You can even use your semester off in your personal statement as solidifying vet med as your career choice.

Can you find a large animal vet to shadow on your days off this summer? Or an ER clinic?

Do you have an IS? Which schools are you interested in?

Your grades are good. I wouldn't worry about 2 B-'s. Your extracurriculars are good. Overall you look like a well rounded candidate to me :) You can even use your semester off in your personal statement as solidifying vet med as your career choice.

Can you find a large animal vet to shadow on your days off this summer? Or an ER clinic?
Thanks for the reply! Cornell’s my in state but by the time I submit my application I might be living in North Carolina. I was thinking about applying to Cornell, Ohio, tufts, UPenn, western, oregon (I’ve seen they like diversity so I figured I might have a shot there) and if I do end up moving to NC then ncsu and maybe lsu.

I don’t know if I would have the time to shadow a large animal vet, as I’m taking a few summer classes and working at the same vet clinic I listed on my post. My clinic sees both wellness and emergency visits, so I have had experience with wellness and emergency care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have any ideas of where I should look towards applying/if I have a decent chance at getting in this cycle?

I highly recommend checking out the AVMA's application statistics website to see where your GPA falls in! This really helped me to narrow down the schools I had a low chance of getting in. For example, UC Davis has an average accepted out of state GPA of 3.9-4.0, which I was NOT in! I used the GPA as a starting point, then looked into each school's specific requirements and process to see where I thought I would stand out.

Here is that link:Admitted Student Statistics - AAVMC

As far as the B-, that really isn't a big red flag if overall you look good academically, which your GPA makes it seem like you are! Admissions committees aren't expecting a 4.0, just a competitive GPA!

Traditional and first time applicant, Hispanic male 22.

Cumulative GPA: 3.72

science GPA: 3.6

last 45: 3.73

Any degrees achieved
BS in Health Science in January 2024

Veterinary Experience:
-700+ hours at a mixed animal, small and exotics, clinic that sees wellness and emergency appointments. Spent probably 600~hours with SA and 100~ with Exotics

Animal Experience:

-Volunteer with horses for 300 hours in high school, grooming, helping give lessons to kids riding, feeding, taking general care of them
-Horseback riding for a 2-3years ~150 hours

Research Experience:

N/A

Awards/scholarships:

-Small merit scholarship when accepted to undergrad school
-Deans List every semester
-National Hispanic recognition program
-Award at Vet Clinic for going over work required/being helpful
-Psi chi
-Continuing student merit scholarship

Extracurriculars:

-Intramural Tennis ~2 hours per week for 4 years
-Outdoors Club-weekly/biweekly meeting 1 hour meetings and about 1 outing every month for 4 years
-American Red Cross- weekly 1 hour meetings and 1 volunteer trip/outing per month for 3 years
-Pre-vet club- 1 meeting biweekly for 2 years
-Weightlifting Club for 2 years

High School Extracurriculars (idk if these matter or should be included in my application):

-Volunteer at a Food Pantry (~120 hours)
-Varsity Tennis Team Captain 2 years, on varsity for for 4 years
-Newspaper Editor for 2 years
-Out of school Chorus for 4 years
-Winter 4-H Veterinary Program
-Tutor for math and science class for 2 years

Employment:
-Vet Assistant for ~700 hours
-Library Page for 1.5 years
-Pool Assistant for 1 summer
-Potentially a TA for physics this upcoming semester

Comments: took fall 2021 off to decide what I wanted to do, got my job at vet clinic that’s why I’m graduating 1 semester later

Concern: took introduction to biology when I was not prevet and before all of my other pretend. I got a B- in both semesters of introduction to biology. Worried because when I was calculating the prerequisite gpa that some schools consider these two B- are bringing down my prerequisite gpa to like a 3.4-3.5. In all my other prerequisites I’ve received B+ or higher

If anyone has any ideas on what I should work on or what schools I should look at, that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone
I feel you are very competitive. It is time to relax; you did your best.

I would also look at how the vet schools compute their GPAs. Some recalculate the science GPA to only prerequisites which you said could knock down your GPA. Some like Kansas State look heavily at your last 45 hour GPA so you want to know that too. Then look at the list linked above and apply strategically. Do you have any leadership experience you could highlight?

I would also look at how the vet schools compute their GPAs. Some recalculate the science GPA to only prerequisites which you said could knock down your GPA. Some like Kansas State look heavily at your last 45 hour GPA so you want to know that too. Then look at the list linked above and apply strategically. Do you have any leadership experience you could highlight?
I sadly don’t have any leadership experience aside from varsity captain of my tennis team in high school, but that was high school so I don’t think it matters much. I spent 2 years at one college for undergrad then transferred to another for my last 2 years so I never felt like I really could volunteer for any leadership positions in clubs since I didn’t spend much time at either school. That’s definitely one of the aspects of my app I’m concerned about

I sadly don’t have any leadership experience aside from varsity captain of my tennis team in high school, but that was high school so I don’t think it matters much. I spent 2 years at one college for undergrad then transferred to another for my last 2 years so I never felt like I really could volunteer for any leadership positions in clubs since I didn’t spend much time at either school. That’s definitely one of the aspects of my app I’m concerned about
Definitely put the high school items in. They do count and some interviewers will ask about them!