WashU (full tuition) vs Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a_distant_dream

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please do not quote.

Hi everyone! I'm deciding between acceptances and would appreciate your thoughts / suggestions. Leaning towards radiology but open to exploring other specialties. Aiming to do research in radiology / genomics. Hoping to work at a teaching hospital (ideally east coast). I do not qualify for any need-based aid.

WashU
Pros
  • Full tuition scholarship (>$260,000)
  • P/F clerkships, no AOA
  • Stronger radiology opportunities (?)
Cons
  • Few east coast matches (could move for fellowship?)
  • Further from family on east coast

Columbia
Pros
  • Many east coast matches
  • Closer to family on east coast
  • Stronger genomics opportunities (?)
  • More pharma / biotech industry collaborations
  • Location: preferred climate (colder is better), better public schools
  • Slightly more layperson prestige (?)
Cons
  • High cost of attendance (unless merit scholarship?)
  • H/HP/P/F clerkships, post-match AOA; H on clerkships is quite competitive (<25%) according to current students

I've toured both schools before and will do so again through revisit days. Thankful for the opportunity to even make this choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on your success! I think if I were in your boat I’d choose Wash U in a heart beat. Your cons aren’t too bad for it, P/F clerkships and no AOA are a great pro, and having that full tuition scholarship is a great reason to go!

Reactions: 7 users
I'm sorry this isn't helpful, but I'm very curious because full tuition at WashU is also something I'm considering.
What exactly makes traffic laws a con here?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many east coast match is probably a function of the class itself. More ppl are actually from Midwest vs east coast and want to move closer to family etc.

I think it would be wrong to pass a full tuition offer at Wustl. MIR is a absolute powerhouse in radiology and I doubt you will have any trouble matching anywhere.

Unless you absolutely cannot imagine living in STL for 4 years, definitely take money.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry this isn't helpful, but I'm very curious because full tuition at WashU is also something I'm considering.
What exactly makes traffic laws a con here?
I'm not a very good driver and all traffic violations (even 5 over the speed limit) are misdemeanors or above. However this is a pretty big stretch since current students told me you can get to most places really easily with public transit, aside from Costco.

$$$ is way too different for this to really be a choice unless you're not the one paying. WashU.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm making a similar decision and I just PMed you if you want to talk about it more privately.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m also kinda on the same boat. I’m wondering in terms of prestige, is there a difference between WashU and Ivy league med schools?

I’m also kinda on the same boat. I’m wondering in terms of prestige, is there a difference between WashU and Ivy league med schools?
Ivy leauges or Columbia? In medicine or generally? Columbia or Harvard med, probably any ivy, are going to be viewed as way more prestigious than WashU to most people. In medical world, I'm pretty sure WashU is on the tier if not historically more prestigious than Columbia, but you're really splitting hairs...not like it matters at this level, especially with the $$ considerations.

It also probably depends on your career goals. I'm sure going to Columbia would be more 'prestigious' if you want to pivot into other realms. Practically it definitely doesn't matter. Pick the school you'll be happiest at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Yea worse grading scheme and 250k diff seals the deal I feel unless you realistically see yourself taking advantage of the Ivy League name + out of medicine stuff (enough to get like 400k worth of value in the future and tbh not even sure most T5 schools can net you that sort of profit).

Ivy leauges or Columbia? In medicine or generally? Columbia or Harvard med, probably any ivy, are going to be viewed as way more prestigious than WashU to most people. In medical world, I'm pretty sure WashU is on the tier if not historically more prestigious than Columbia, but you're really splitting hairs...not like it matters at this level, especially with the $$ considerations.

It also probably depends on your career goals. I'm sure going to Columbia would be more 'prestigious' if you want to pivot into other realms. Practically it definitely doesn't matter. Pick the school you'll be happiest at.
Yeah those are good points. I was asking specifically in medicine. And in my case, I’m trying to choose between Penn and WashU

Penn is more amenable than most medical schools in terms of matching scholarships - maybe that’s worth a shot?
Yeah I’m definitely gonna give it a shot! I’m hoping they will help me out a little bit.

On even ground Columbia would be my pick because I love the city and I know its dumb but having the lay person prestige is appealing since WashU has none (I went to undergrad there and the number of times people thought I went to a community college in Seattle/DC is insane).
Also having the support system in family nearby is something I really prioritized.

That said, the money difference is significant. If you're taking on the full brunt of the tuition hard not to go WashU here.

Reactions: 1 users
Since this post is back up, @a_distant_dream what'd you choose? Lol.
Barring the unexpected or any major insights from y'all, I will likely PTE at WashU and stay on waitlists. The visits were really helpful.

WashU grading (distinction / competency / non-competency in knowledge, care, communication, professionalism as evaluated across all courses / clerkships) seems more relaxed compared to H/HP/P/F Columbia clerkships. Lots of praise for the Gateway curriculum - several people expect next year's match list to blow recent ones out of the water. I was highly impressed by Barnes-Jewish and pleasantly surprised by St. Louis.

For my area of interest in genomics, my research mentors and the visit have convinced me that WashU has slightly better opportunities. For my area of interest in radiology, the visit convinced me that WashU is much stronger. Nonetheless, I was impressed by Columbia's humanities / arts (Washington Heights, a student body with extraordinary musical talents, Dean Quest, Rita Charon's narrative medicine).

Minor things: WashU starts later (Sep 5) than Columbia (Aug 5), but only has EXPLORE + 2 weeks off vs Columbia's dedicated summer break (though people still grind research / global health). WashU also pays for all board prep materials (Pathoma, UWorld, Sketchy, First Aid, etc.) - I don't believe Columbia does. Finally, WashU took off a ton of stress by accepting me so early, something I am extremely grateful for.

Thank you all for the great tips.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users