Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok this post is just so you all can see my daughter and how cute she is now (see avatar). Officially 1 year old a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway hope everything is going well and good luck to all the 3rd years next week on whatever shelf you may have...wohoo for me IM.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok this post is just so you all can see my daughter and how cute she is now (see avatar). Officially 1 year old a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway hope everything is going well and good luck to all the 3rd years next week on whatever shelf you may have...wohoo for me IM.

wow, there has been quite a progression! aren't you about to have another?!?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
You make birthing sound so graceful :)

I don't think "birthing" and "graceful" belong in the same sentance unless there is a "not" between them.

But yes, I am about 3 weeks out from #2 - little girl Claire Ellen. Then hopefully I can stay NOT pregnant for about 2 years. I just can't do another piggy backed on top of these two. I would seriously go insane.

Yet another request for 4th year input:

1. What kind of recommendations for our 4th year schedule can you make?
-with respect to step 2
-with respect to applications
-with respect to interviews

2. What are some electives you have had that you have enjoyed or hated? That you have heard are awesome/horrible?

Thanks a lot -- I really appreciate it!

Most people took Step 2 between July-August. I waited until September, but in hindsight, wish I had taken it earlier to get it out of the way. Many of my pals took either July or August off to take the exam. I didn't take any time off, just scheduled an easy rotation (Ambulatory) in July to get a required rotation done and have time to study as well.

I was able to get all my application stuff done while doing my EM rotation in August. I don't think anyone should need to take a month off for applications. Just fill out what you can when you can. Also, make sure you start asking for letters right away (like at the end of rotations in your 3rd year). And ask for 1-2 more than you need.

I am planning to take December off for interviews. I also made sure to schedule easy rotations (9-5, M-F) for November and January. This is what most students typically do. Some even take 2 of the months off if they have a lot of out of state interviews. Remember, they only let you take off 5 days in a rotation to interview and that does not include required rotations (Sub-I, EM, Ambulatory).

Electives that seem to be very popular: Cardiology, Radiology, Anesthesiology. I did a rotation in the SICU at Henry Ford that was awesome. They are known for their ICU care, so any of their ICU's would be a great experience. Basically, do electives that are easy, interesting, and will benefit you in your future career. You may also want to throw in something that you may never see again. Also, remember that you will be burnt out by the end of the year, so don't schedule a tough elective or any required rotations (besides ambulatory) at the end of fourth year. March, April and May are months where you will want to relax, party, and move across the country if you need to!

Most people took Step 2 between July-August. I waited until September, but in hindsight, wish I had taken it earlier to get it out of the way. Many of my pals took either July or August off to take the exam. I didn't take any time off, just scheduled an easy rotation (Ambulatory) in July to get a required rotation done and have time to study as well.

I was able to get all my application stuff done while doing my EM rotation in August. I don't think anyone should need to take a month off for applications. Just fill out what you can when you can. Also, make sure you start asking for letters right away (like at the end of rotations in your 3rd year). And ask for 1-2 more than you need.

I am planning to take December off for interviews. I also made sure to schedule easy rotations (9-5, M-F) for November and January. This is what most students typically do. Some even take 2 of the months off if they have a lot of out of state interviews. Remember, they only let you take off 5 days in a rotation to interview and that does not include required rotations (Sub-I, EM, Ambulatory).

Electives that seem to be very popular: Cardiology, Radiology, Anesthesiology. I did a rotation in the SICU at Henry Ford that was awesome. They are known for their ICU care, so any of their ICU's would be a great experience. Basically, do electives that are easy, interesting, and will benefit you in your future career. You may also want to throw in something that you may never see again. Also, remember that you will be burnt out by the end of the year, so don't schedule a tough elective or any required rotations (besides ambulatory) at the end of fourth year. March, April and May are months where you will want to relax, party, and move across the country if you need to!

So when you ask for letters of rec during third year, do you have them write it at that time or do you just ask them if they will write it later? thanks

So when you ask for letters of rec during third year, do you have them write it at that time or do you just ask them if they will write it later? thanks

The answer to that depends on the author. IIRC Wayne will not accept letters during third year (you'll be unable to print off cover letters, etc), but you can suggest that they write the letter and hold off on printing it until you contact them during fourth year.
For anyone desiring a letter from Drs. L & L at the DMC, they only write one letter (which I have heard they both sign) and have an informational sheet that you have to submit when you request the letter - I would suggest that you pick up a copy of that sheet (and fill out some of the fields, like what presentations you gave to the team) while you are still rotating with them and then submit it at a later date.

The answer to that depends on the author. IIRC Wayne will not accept letters during third year (you'll be unable to print off cover letters, etc), but you can suggest that they write the letter and hold off on printing it until you contact them during fourth year.
For anyone desiring a letter from Drs. L & L at the DMC, they only write one letter (which I have heard they both sign) and have an informational sheet that you have to submit when you request the letter - I would suggest that you pick up a copy of that sheet (and fill out some of the fields, like what presentations you gave to the team) while you are still rotating with them and then submit it at a later date.

so generally they are going to want a CV/ personal statement? when did you guys get these cranked out?

Holy crap, the internal medicine shelf was brutal.

I had just filled in the last answer when they called time - a first for me.

PS. Dancinjen is a million years pregnant. But no water breaking in Green, so yay!

PS. Dancinjen is a million years pregnant. But no water breaking in Green, so yay!
the time situation was horrible. i had 3 or 4 i didnt get to and had to bubble in B... this is not counting the 10+ i hurried through when they called 10 mins. oh well.

I finished with one minute left. I didn't even get to go back over the couple of questions I wanted to revisit! I think all shelfs for me are going to be BOHICA moments.

And yes, I am still pregnant - send me labor waves - the sooner I have this baby the happier I will be.

I finished with one minute left. I didn't even get to go back over the couple of questions I wanted to revisit! I think all shelfs for me are going to be BOHICA moments.

And yes, I am still pregnant - send me labor waves - the sooner I have this baby the happier I will be.
yay! we all passed... i must have squeaked by

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other 4th years having fun scheduling interviews? My first one is on the 12th next month and I'm starting to get excited/nervous. At least my DRH interview is first. I figure that one should be the easiest since that's where I did my EM rotation. :D

Any other 4th years having fun scheduling interviews? My first one is on the 12th next month and I'm starting to get excited/nervous. At least my DRH interview is first. I figure that one should be the easiest since that's where I did my EM rotation. :D

I think the worst part is that about half of the programs aren't sending out interview invites until today when the MSPEs come out. That is putting me in a bind on which of the early ones to accept, or if I should just hold off and wait for some of the later ones that I really want to get. But, hey, at least I am getting lots of interview invites. Must be the result of me telling step 2, "BOHICA!" instead of it telling me that.

I have decided that there are only 3 things that happen on family medicine:

We adjust your blood pressure medication.
The nurse stabs you six times and I give you a sticker.
I look at your crotch.

I look at your crotch.
you forgot this one -

We give you meds for your "pain"

Anybody on here currently doing a rotation at DRH?

I need to talk to one of the EM attendings and could use a hand in figuring out when he's working.

Hey, anyone remember what the assignment is for Family Medicine when you miss your hospice assignment? Serves me right for thinking my day was in the third week, instead of the second.

Hey, anyone remember what the assignment is for Family Medicine when you miss your hospice assignment? Serves me right for thinking my day was in the third week, instead of the second.

It may be different for your circumstance, but I did my month of FM outside of the metro area and ended up having to write an essay to fulfil the hospice assignment.

I look at your crotch.

Hilarious :)

has anyone who is doing family in december actually found out where they are doing it at?

has anyone who is doing family in december actually found out where they are doing it at?
You realize that you go to Wayne State don't you?

You'll find out about a week or so before you start.

You realize that you go to Wayne State don't you?

You'll find out about a week or so before you start.

haha... i should have known, esp given that i found out where i was doing my elective the friday before the monday i started ...

Hi all,

Baby Claire Ellen arrived yesterday at 10:55 am. She weighed in at 7 lbs 4 oz, and is 19.5 in long. She also has a crop of red curly/wavy hair. I am e-mailing from the hospital so I don't have photo capabilities but I will post one when I get home and settled.

jenn

Hi all,

Baby Claire Ellen arrived yesterday at 10:55 am. She weighed in at 7 lbs 4 oz, and is 19.5 in long. She also has a crop of red curly/wavy hair. I am e-mailing from the hospital so I don't have photo capabilities but I will post one when I get home and settled.

jenn

Congratulations!!! Hooray for babies!

Hi all,

jenn

congrats...
so what i am really wondering is which child will get to have their picture as your avatar?? how will you ever decide? you don't want to start playing favorites this early in the game!

congrats...
so what i am really wondering is which child will get to have their picture as your avatar?? how will you ever decide? you don't want to start playing favorites this early in the game!

Hey, what's the point in having two children if you can't make them compete for your attention?

Hey, what's the point in having two children if you can't make them compete for your attention?

you mean to tell me that my brother died in vain? just because of my parents cruel plan to make us compete?? it is all clear now!

so i have missed continuity clinic 6 times. 5/6 times was because my doc was gone for that week... anyone else have problems with this?

Did any first years get an email today that we are going to receive a direct deposit refund of $314.75? I'm going to assume that this is part of the budget contingency being returned since the state paid it's share. Any confirmation?

Did any first years get an email today that we are going to receive a direct deposit refund of $314.75? I'm going to assume that this is part of the budget contingency being returned since the state paid it's share. Any confirmation?

yeah, i got that email too. *excited-arm-pumping action*
was this specific to 1st years only?

what's this deal about tuition being increased 40% the last few years? is that true? i couldn't make it to the mtg yesterday. anyone know how bad it's going to get the next few years $$$$-wise?

A direct deposit refund has been sent to your financial institution from Wayne State University.

The payment of: $314.75 will be deposited to your bank

Please allow three to four business days for processing.

To verify the amount of the direct deposit, log into Pipeline, select the Student tab, and select "Bill/Account Summary".

To confirm the financial institution and/or account, log into Pipeline, select the Student tab, and select "Direct Deposit".

Contact the WSU Student Accounts Receivable office at 313-577-3653 if you have any other questions.

This made my day yesterday.... so, yes I got it and it made me feel compelled to treat myself to a yummy dinner while pounding the histo/embryo.

This made my day yesterday.... so, yes I got it and it made me feel compelled to treat myself to a yummy dinner while pounding the histo/embryo.

I totally have a sick mind. I thought you were talking about eating embryos for dinner. LOL.

so i have missed continuity clinic 6 times. 5/6 times was because my doc was gone for that week... anyone else have problems with this?
Just email or call Stelini and explain the situation, I've heard that they will accomodate you, like maybe say that 17 visits rather than 18 is ok, especially since it's not your fault

yeah, i got that email too. *excited-arm-pumping action*
was this specific to 1st years only?

what's this deal about tuition being increased 40% the last few years? is that true? i couldn't make it to the mtg yesterday. anyone know how bad it's going to get the next few years $$$$-wise?

They were showing graphs about how the med school and general wayne budgets are set up, but never actually showed where our $$ is going. They increase the budget by 6% every year regardless, meaning that tuition is going to go up about that much each year regardless of changes in state revenue coming in. And if state revenue drops, they jack the tuition ridiculously to make up for it.

Their excuse for jacking our tuition by percentage rather than raw $$ is because "it is far more expensive to educate a medical student than anyone else." That comes down to our teachers (both PhDs and MDs during all 4 years) are getting paid largely from our tuition and has nothing to do with the equipment we use or how sad a state that Scott Hall is in. They was also a lot of doublespeak at that meeting because when I asked Dr. Frank how much of our tuition was going to main campus that we would never see again, he replied, "All of it! The med school gets a flat allocation from the general WSU budget." Nice way of sidestepping my question about how much we were funding the undergrads and saying the med school isn't getting any more money despite charging us more.

So, yes, from what I gathered, tuition is going to keep going up by at least 6% per year if it doesn't have any more major increases like we have had twice in four years.

And yes, tuition has gone up by about 40% since we've been here. Tuition alone (not including fees) was $18.8K when we first arrived.

I don't think I received that email. Can someone copy and paste the message?

Subject: Advice of Deposit from Wayne State University
Date: November 7, 2007 2:41:32 AM GMT-05:00

A direct deposit refund has been sent to your financial institution from Wayne State University.

The payment of: $314.75 will be deposited to your bank

Please allow three to four business days for processing.

To verify the amount of the direct deposit, log into Pipeline, select the Student tab, and select "Bill/Account Summary".

To confirm the financial institution and/or account, log into Pipeline, select the Student tab, and select "Direct Deposit".

Contact the WSU Student Accounts Receivable office at 313-577-3653 if you have any other questions.

This e-mail is sent for information only. Please do not respond to this e-mail.

For anyone who was wondering, yes Baby Claire is absolutely adorable.

Family medicine, not so much. Between the paperwork for this and continuity clinic, I feel like all I'm doing is bull**** assignments.

Any of my fellow MS4s starting to get tired of hotel rooms?

I don't know about the rest of you, but it has been so long since I have slept in my own bed for more than two nights in a row that I don't think that I can remember what it feels like.
I am starting to hate away rotations and interviews -- how pathetic is that?!

Any of my fellow MS4s starting to get tired of hotel rooms?

I don't know about the rest of you, but it has been so long since I have slept in my own bed for more than two nights in a row that I don't think that I can remember what it feels like.
I am starting to hate away rotations and interviews -- how pathetic is that?!

I'm heading out for my first one on the main stretch today. Ask again after I spend over a week solid in New York for that set of 4. But, yes, I will probably get very sick of motel 6 rooms.

I'm heading out for my first one on the main stretch today. Ask again after I spend over a week solid in New York for that set of 4. But, yes, I will probably get very sick of motel 6 rooms.

motel 6, now that's some quality lodging. i stayed in one those not to long ago... wasn't that bad actually, at least no roaches this time.

Everyone dead around here? Anyone going on a nice vacation for break?

I think my hubby and I are going to spend 4 days or so in canada. We haven't decided where exactly, maybe Quebec. I'm excited :)

What's this break thing of which you speak?

aren't most 4th years on month long vacations about now (aside from interviewing)???? :D

just going back to the parents. would like to go some where nice, but kind of short on money. we have had things to fix or tires to replace on both cars... arg!

aren't most 4th years on month long vacations about now (aside from interviewing)???? :D

just going back to the parents. would like to go some where nice, but kind of short on money. we have had things to fix or tires to replace on both cars... arg!

You might be surprised just how much those interviews can feel like work.
I was "off" for interviews during November and ended the month more exhausted than I have on some of my rotations. Guess that partly depends on how many interviews you decide to go to.