Western U vs Cornell vs Ohio vs Washington?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riderrapidash

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm sorry there's so many schools- I was incredibly fortunate with my admission and was admitted into most of my top programs! Unfortunately, this has led to a stressful dilemma as I don't know where to go, and obviously the April 15 deadline is fast approaching. Just want to get some info from those who have more insight than me.

Other necessary info:
-I 100% want to specialize in Large Animal or Equine Surgery, Neurology/Neurosurgery, or Cardiology. I want to set myself up for the best chance of success matching into rotating and specialty internships as well as residency. By the end of this semester, I'll have around 650 hours of research experience across 3 projects, and will have given 2 oral presentations and 1-2 poster presentations. I hope to continue research in vet school, and hope to publish on more specific areas relating to what I end up wanting to specialize in. I really enjoy research as well.
-I have autism and as such, physical moving/big life changes can be difficult for me. Western U is closest to my family and hometown (only around 1.5 hour drive away)

Factors affecting decisions:
-Western U has a PBL curriculum I'm very interested in.
-Washington has offered me a 46k tuition waiver, but as a part of the WIMU program and I'd start in Utah for 2 years. Kind of worried, as I love the schools and their admissions team has been very welcoming, but I wouldn't be able to make connections with faculty for the full four years (i.e. the neurology professor at Washington)
-Ohio and Cornell have both spoken to me personally and are also obviously very great schools.
-All schools (aside from Western as there's no teaching hospital) offer both internship and residency programs I have a strong interest in.

I know it's a ton, and I can provide more info/answer questions if needed. Just want to get as many opinions as I can to make the best decision for my future goals, financially, and lifestyle-wise. Thank you in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Cornell also has PBL! I am not a huge equine person but Cornell does a lot of equine work. Everyone also starts working with horse physical exam skills starting the first block and there is an option to take a specific equine anatomy your first year.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm sorry there's so many schools- I was incredibly fortunate with my admission and was admitted into most of my top programs! Unfortunately, this has led to a stressful dilemma as I don't know where to go, and obviously the April 15 deadline is fast approaching. Just want to get some info from those who have more insight than me.

Other necessary info:
-I 100% want to specialize in Large Animal or Equine Surgery, Neurology/Neurosurgery, or Cardiology. I want to set myself up for the best chance of success matching into rotating and specialty internships as well as residency. By the end of this semester, I'll have around 650 hours of research experience across 3 projects, and will have given 2 oral presentations and 1-2 poster presentations. I hope to continue research in vet school, and hope to publish on more specific areas relating to what I end up wanting to specialize in. I really enjoy research as well.
-I have autism and as such, physical moving/big life changes can be difficult for me. Western U is closest to my family and hometown (only around 1.5 hour drive away)

Factors affecting decisions:
-Western U has a PBL curriculum I'm very interested in.
-Washington has offered me a 46k tuition waiver, but as a part of the WIMU program and I'd start in Utah for 2 years. Kind of worried, as I love the schools and their admissions team has been very welcoming, but I wouldn't be able to make connections with faculty for the full four years (i.e. the neurology professor at Washington)
-Ohio and Cornell have both spoken to me personally and are also obviously very great schools.
-All schools (aside from Western as there's no teaching hospital) offer both internship and residency programs I have a strong interest in.

I know it's a ton, and I can provide more info/answer questions if needed. Just want to get as many opinions as I can to make the best decision for my future goals, financially, and lifestyle-wise. Thank you in advance!!!
I replied to another thread regarding the 2+2 portion of wimu, maybe it was your question specifically im sorry i dont remember if it was. It won't affect your ability to match and if anything allows you to connect with more people due to the 2+2 piece. Wsu/usu have tons of research opportunities as im sure all the vet schools do. Ultimately my advice will always be go to your cheapest option. While I understand big changes can be difficult, you ultimately will have to determine what you can handle as far as change goes. Considering your wide variety of acceptances im sure you can adapt to change better than you think you can. Not doubting your challenges at all, because my so has autism but he is a rock star. That being said everyone has their own level of what they can deal with. Good luck with your choices!

Reactions: 1 user