WesternU/COMP class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Doods, our thread is going bye-bye. Ppl... wake up and post. I know you're not paying attention during class all the time!!

:) so how's the studying for head and neck and derm with everyone? I got the drugs down finally. Don't you love it when Dr. Wong says "griseofulvin"?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! Derm is a lot of work and so is head and neck. This weekend is going to be fun with all the work to get through!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's sort of a treat. I found it on the Campus Commotion newsletter. This is the video they made for the "Tribute to Caring" gala that Western U. hosts. It has Noah Wylie from ER as well as Jon Fong, DO '84 who is the technical advisor for the ER show and an alumnus of COMP.

Link to Tribute to Caring Video

(Note: it's good to download this on a high-speed link as the video is a bit large).

Thanks Lanny for pulling this thread up again. It's sad that our class is not as active.

say "hi" to Sharon for me :)

:clap:

YO YO YO...I'm back...anyone miss me? Probably not. Hahahahhaha...

So what's new? The thead is too long for me to go back and read all of them. Any summaries? Any exciting/conflicts/anger etc.? The last time I was here previous students was complaining about COMP. Now that I'm at COMP, it's not as bad as they say it is. I personally think that most professors suck but ~4 are VERY good. :clap: I'm an independent student anyways so it doesn't really bother me. Thank god for those great review books. :laugh:

OMM practical is getting close :( hehe...gotta start practicing!!!

Alright, I'll try to be more active, CHAU!!! :rolleyes: :clap:

Thanks Chau for clueing me in on this online community. I had no idea it existed. Maybe it just means I don't spend too much class time online :p

Like honey hunter (wannabe) says, there's just been too many msg on this thread for me to read for now. Maybe I'll get to it eventaully now that there's no more Kiick for a month! :clap:

I hope my fellow classmates keep this thread going... maybe I'll start a topic for us to discuss: darn I can't think of anything. I think I'm a bit distracted by the OP&P practical coming up. I still don't really get it...:eek:

Anyway, hospital day today. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a fellowship this summer.

Honeyhunter sounds like Gina somehow. Not sure who else I can picture saying "Yo yo yo!" with that much gusto! Just a guess though..

Yay!!! More ppl. But hm.. now I have to guess who's who... Have to be on my AIM list 'cuz I sent the link to that thread yesterday... Gotta think. I can sorta guess, but not gonna. Maybe after a few threads.

Hey you guys, if you have time, check out the COMP2007 thread. The newbies have questions that we can answer. Remember when we were in their shoes once?

<b>Honeyhunter</b>, I remember you from way back when... and yes I'm glad all that negativities didn't turn out to be such a big deal after all. A bunch of ppl are going to Big Bear this weekend. Are you guys going? And oh, if you're having difficulties understanding Dr. Sugerman's cerebellum and vestibulocerebellar tract lectures, pick up Young & Young's Clinical Neuroanatomy. It's helping me.

This morning, I went to UCSD medical school to study (since I'm in town). I checked out their lounge afterwards and I have to say we have a better lounge area and a much bigger TV :-D

Okay, have a good weekend all.

<b>melancholy</b>- are you jealous? =P but what are you doing being so active on SDN? aren't you supposed to be out with your girl?

I am with her.. took her shopping... heh. Yeah you're lucky it's nice today. Are you able to use the wireless internet network at UCSD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a relaxing weekend everyone this weekend. People got to spend time w/ their significant other. Hope you all had fun cuz I did :)

See you guys in class tomorrow, bright and early. +pity+

Who's doing something beside studying for Neuro this break?

I'm going to Baja for a medical mission trip. Hopefully that's enough of a break that will keep me sane.

Man, I wish Dr. Jones would hurry up so I can get out of here. It's so hot in this room... Dan, if you're reading, you should bring it up to someone upstairs to fix the thermostat...

Good luck studying everyone.

Too late Eric.. they left Friday afternoon (3/14/03). I think they are going down with some intercollegiate varsity fellowship program.. so probably Christian students from different universities in Socal, but I'm not exactly sure. Only a few students from our Christian Medical and Dental Association on campus are going.

I'm going up to the AAO Convocation in Ottawa, Canada in a couple more days (Wed-Sun). It should be something.. especially with seeing all the big shots AND Dr. Frymann (exciting!). It'll be nice to hang out with the Fellows, first and second years some more too. Only problem is it'll be like 40 degrees over there (and during our Spring Break) so I'd better get enough sunshine before I go!

<b>Eric</b>- The Baja trip was from Friday to Sunday. It's in association with CDMA (Christian Dental & Medical Association). There were 6 of us that went. We were part of a 50 ppl team including dentists, OB GYNs, internists, FPs, peds, nurses, residents, medical, dental students and volunteers from SoCal and Mexico. We went to Guadalupe, Baja, which is about 2 hrs from the border. It's gorgeous there!! We stayed at a camp, and worked at a clinic that we set up in the backyard of a local dentist's house. We saw around 200 ppl on Saturday and about 50 on Sunday. I learned sooo much and it's great to meet other medical students from the same area.

I would recommend that you go on a similar trip. If you have other specific questions, shoot me an email :)

NX811 - Thanks for the info...

Melancholy - Are you guys going to Arizona this year for Sports Med? I might be able to go. I haven't heard a pep from that club even though I'm on the email list (I think).

Eric

Eric,
I haven't heard anything about it either. It's starting to get to about that time too. I'll ask James what's up.

Let me know too Lanny. Since it's in AZ, it'll give me a chance to see my family for a lil bit.

Thanks!

Ok James said that he just got the information for the trip to Arizona so I'll keep you guys posted (or you'll get emails for it if you're on the sports med list)

I just want to plug the talent show, which is held in our classroom (prem reddy hall) on Wed, April 9th, at 7pm. It's free so just come and enjoy the show. I'm sure you'll like it. I need the auditorium to be filled. The musicians have been working really hard to play for you all. If you liked the little sample you heard today in class, come hear more next Wed!!

Did I mention that it's free?

:)

As far as information about the Arizona trip for sports physicals, sports med club will be having a meeting on Thursday, April 10th, noon in the HSC (PA West). Eric, since you probably can't show up I'll see if i can make the meeting so I can give you some dates and stuff.

Lanny,

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the meeting on Thursday. But this is my vacation month, so I might be able to make it to the Arizona trip. Just email me with the info from the meeting, and let all the other COMPers know about it.

Thanks,
Eric

Hey Chau!!! Guess who..... I haven't posted anything since last year so I decided to go on to see if we still have a thread. Getting ready for the talent show? I'm sure it will come out fine :) Hey who's honeyhuter? Hey girl, is that you gina? And who's kiickedmybutt?

Eric,

went to the sports med meeting today and the date for the Arizona sports physicals is Apr. 26 (Saturday). Sometimes people go the day before (Friday) in order to attend a meeting in the late afternoon where they give an overview of how Saturday will run, but I know the PA's skipped it last year because they had plenty of practice in terms of physical exams already. As far as deadlines go, it seems like James (the current president) might be in the middle of transitioning things over to the new officers while informing people about going so there hasn't been a deadline set in terms of seeing who can go and stuff. I guess we will have to wait. We do this in conjunction with AZCOM students (other DO students, PA students, etc.) so I think there are places to bunk out and after the physicals, everyone goes out to have some fun!

I'll post more when I know what's going on.

Hi everyone,

Pictures from the talent show are up on our site.

click here Check it out.

Thanks for all who came and helped. It was a really cool night!!

-Hi Veronica: I see you there. Thanks for the decoration. It turned out great :)

Who says the Board Scores are high? Faculty? Go figure that they would have a motive! The board scores last year were pathetic, with an 88% for June and 66% for October. As for biochemistry? No one will release these scores. I wouldn't beleive any of it, unless the administration turns over the scores, and even then there are hidden agends!

Board scores vary from class to class. Keep in mind that you have a smaller sample size of students taking the boards in October for whatever reason. Personally, I think our class (class of 2005) will do better, but that's just my opinion based on how our class is doing with some of these exams compared to the 2004 class performance. We'll also see if the addition of another week and a half of board studying time in May will pay off or not.

Hello,
I posted this in the COMP 2007 thread, but I thought I may get a quicker response if I posted in current COMP students thread.

I've had the chance to visit Chino Hills, but am interested in living in Claremont. I won't have the opportunity to visit the area before I actually move down for school, so I am stuck with finding an apt through phone calls, internet, and SDN. I would greatly appreciate your opinions on the different complexes in Claremont, regarding the area the complexes are located. If you could give me your opinion on the 'best' apt, as far as where its located within Claremont, it would be so helpful. The ones the school listed are Brighton Park, Spring Hill, Plum Tree, Cambridge, Bonita Terrace, and Claremont Pacifica.

Thank you SO much!
CAC

Hi Eric & Lanny,

I just got the info for the trip today. All of the PAs are leaving on Friday at lunch. I think they're all carpooling together. There are 5 of us MSIs going. We're going on Friday and leaving Saturday after the clinic. There's a release form that you have to fill out and travel reimbursement form if you're driving. The clinic is in Sunnyslope High School from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturday. Orientation at AZCOM on Friday evening at 5:00. If you definitely want to go, email Lance Gault and he'll give you the forms.

What is all this negative stuff I hear about COMP. The administration, grading, professors, etc. I got into COMP and am deciding b/w COMP and VCOM. I want to stay in So. Cal and feel COMP provides good clinical rotations. But all these negative stuff people are posting is making me have second thoughts. Can anyone comment on this?:D

I like it here. I think every school has its problems. If you want to read what we said in the past, read the old posts. They're also in the class 2007 thread.

I agree... every school has good and bad things. Am I glad I came here? Yes. Would I do it again? Certainly. Talk to negative people and you'll hear negative things-- I'm convinced that if you put these people in the "best" medical school they would still find negative things to gripe about.:rolleyes:

Yes, Cambridge, MA gets too cold for me during the winters... who would want to trudge through snow for four months out of the year? J/k. =p

Anyway, just thought I'd bump this to the top. Those MS-I's are getting lazee again hehe... with posting that is.

Do any of u have a list of the most recent residency spots of graduating DOs?

thanx

Congrats.. you guys are done! Take a break.. a nice safe and productive one... and a really long one at that. I'll see most of you in the fall! (For those of you that I don't get to see this summer)
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I'm in COMP Class of 2007. Does anyone have a list of books that they recommend buying and not buying? Any Used books anyone's willing to sell at a great price will also be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi there,
I believe there were some posts in the COMP 2007 Yahoo message group (you can find the link on the SDN COMP 2007 thread) regarding books that would be useful to start off school with. Essentially, you'll need a Netter Atlas.. and it is helpful to get a copy of Moore's anatomy book I think. (Opinions vary.) Try looking around on there first.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/comp2007/

umm....hmm...well there are books that you'll definitely need and melancholy told you of a couple...there are others...can't remember right now....but, also depends on the person you are ...i'm the type to like to have the books just in case...but, you'll find out soon enough...and enjoy the summer

melancholy,
hope you feel better...w/ food poisoning..and all...mann..it wasn't me..heheh....well...we'll golf after my drama is over...if there's a place you want..let me know...laters.