What investing strategy do you follow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScubaV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forum is kinda slow, so let's add some non-jobs discussion.

I know LADoc likes to play with options and Webb does RURAL BUSINESS. But what about the rest of the forum?

I follow a pretty boring three-fund portfolio a la typical Bogleheads with >90:10 equities:bonds. However, I'm considering switching some of my Roth savings to a leveraged strategy as outlined here:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I've had my eye on that UPRO/TMF portfolio for a while now, and was going to pull the trigger with some money in March until I realized Vanguard has banned leveraged funds on its platform. Their official position is leverage runs against the brokerage's investing principles, so you're not even allowed to buy them. Ideally this kind of frequently rebalanced asset allocation would be best suited for a Roth or other tax advantaged account, so I've been hesitant to implement it in my taxable.

Current taxable just has 100% VUG (vanguard's US large cap growth ETF), which happens to be slightly more tax efficient, and has outperformed VOO/SPY and total market for the past 10 years now. I've been struggling with how to approach bonds. For my own personal reasons (very early retirement planned in <10 years), I agree with WhiteCoatInvestor that bonds probably belong in taxable insofar as I'll be withdrawing from that account first as part of the bond tent/rising equity glide path to reduce sequence of returns risk on ~40 years of planned retirement. Munis, while tax advantaged, seem to be garbage from a risk perspective. And corporate/mortgage bonds seem to be the wrong place to seek yield at the moment. I'm guessing long term federal bonds have reached the end of their usefulness as an equity hedge based on declining yields, but I'm sure smarter people know more about this than I do. For now I'm <10% bonds despite the planned retirement horizon.

One unusual thing I have started considering is buy/write ETF (QYLD), which yields 12% annualized (better with high implied volatility). This strategy has performed worse than pure buy and hold for the past several years of almost pure growth, but the potential advantage going forward is twofold: 1) we're headed for continued volatility and diminished annual returns and 2) I think a substantial allocation of total portfolio yielding 10-12% may help increase SWR over 4%.

Bogle head for me! 68 yrs old with 8 figure account thanks to LOW FEES and buy and hold. I just turned over management to them. Very cheap fees ( as you might expect ). 0.3 % on first 5 M, 0.2 % on 5-10M and 0.1 % on 10-25M. And now i don’t even think about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bogle head for me! 68 yrs old with 8 figure account thanks to LOW FEES and buy and hold. I just turned over management to them. Very cheap fees ( as you might expect ). 0.3 % on first 5 M, 0.2 % on 5-10M and 0.1 % on 10-25M. And now i don’t even think about it.
Wow
Does this dream even exist anymore for us young fledglings?
Either way I’m mad impressed

Wow
Does this dream even exist anymore for us young fledglings?
Either way I’m mad impressed

I will be the first to admit things are very different in medicine today. But, some things still prove out.

No med school debt ( in navy and associated much better resident pay), pay yourself first, do not get divorced,live on (a lot) less than you make, know what investment decisions you can control( investment fees, asset type and allocation and that is it), no mountain home in north carolina, no plane and no (large) boat, acceptance of delayed gratification, buy and hold, DO NOT TIME THE MARKET( if you try, you will have to do it up AND down every time and if you miss just a handful of the best days, your returns will suck, AND no one can do it with any consistency.) Do not let fear and/or greed drive your investments.

If you think i’m all wet, just keep re-reading the above until you are a believer.

Reactions: 3 users
I will be the first to admit things are very different in medicine today. But, some things still prove out.

No med school debt ( in navy and associated much better resident pay), pay yourself first, do not get divorced,live on (a lot) less than you make, know what investment decisions you can control( investment fees, asset type and allocation and that is it), no mountain home in north carolina, no plane and no (large) boat, acceptance of delayed gratification, buy and hold, DO NOT TIME THE MARKET( if you try, you will have to do it up AND down every time and if you miss just a handful of the best days, your returns will suck, AND no one can do it with any consistency.) Do not let fear and/or greed drive your investments.

If you think i’m all wet, just keep re-reading the above until you are a believer.
This is sage advice. It’s the minority that can circumvent from this pathway and achieve success.

Start businesses. I’ve seen some young cats on Instagram doing very well. Different types of businesses, multiple stores. One dude selling ice cream in LA. Now has 20 locations. Two dudes with their own clothing company managing 10 brands recently featured in Forbes. Some with no college education or just a college education.

Easier said than done I guess considering we have our own busy lives as a pathologist. Yes most businesses fail or don’t last but if you have a good product consider it.

Buy rentals and lots of them. Actually own stuff instead of having a piece of paper that says you have wealth. Keratin pearls is right about businesses too. You can make sooo much more from your side projects than working as a pathologist. Create an empire and employ as many of your fellow americans as you can. You are a one percenter, now act like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Buy rentals and lots of them. Actually own stuff instead of having a piece of paper that says you have wealth. Keratin pearls is right about businesses too. You can make sooo much more from your side projects than working as a pathologist. Create an empire and employ as many of your fellow americans as you can. You are a one percenter, now act like it.

Yup be like a friend of my friend, a pain doc who is buying Rental units here and there And renting it out on Airbnb. He lives in a 1.2M penthouse and bought another large house to rent on Airbnb. He’s buying Progressively more units. All in a large city.

Progressively buy more and more units over time=passive income. There are people out there with no college education worth close to 9 figures (I communicated with him online). He is making 100k a month in rental income. He’s been renting property since he was 19. Started small andhas multiple commercial real estate properties in Austin.

You have to have business sense. You have to step away from being a pathologist and start businesses. The thing is some ppl in medicine have no business sense or have no interest in entrepreneurialship. As a pathologist you can make good income but you are limited to only so many hours of day of work.

Just like any thing make sure you are passionate about your business/product.

I do think rental property is the way to go especially when you are working as a pathologist. Learn it and buy As many positive cash flow properties As you can over your career.

Last edited:
Buying rental properties is a hassle and not easy at all..stock investing is much more passive and you still can do very well in the long run

Can buyREITS or units in BX or similar for rental income without the hassle

Rentals have FAR less risk than stocks. Stock market is just gambling. It isn't that big of a hassle and you have more than just a piece of paper with graphs. Only use the stock market sparingly. I don't recommend buying farms right now. They are still overinflated and I am thankful I got in on that when I did. I am seeing 100 acre farms selling for over a million which is ridiculous. It would take many decades to get that money back if you just rent the land.

Bottom line is get as many sources of supplemental income as you can working in pathology.

Yup be like a friend of my friend, a pain doc who is buying Rental units here and there And renting it out on Airbnb. He lives in a 1.2M penthouse and bought another large house to rent on Airbnb. He’s buying Progressively more units. All in a large city.

Progressively buy more and more units over time=passive income. There are people out there with no college education worth close to 9 figures (I communicated with him online). He is making 100k a month in rental income. He’s been renting property since he was 19. Started small andhas multiple commercial real estate properties in Austin.

You have to have business sense. You have to step away from being a pathologist and start businesses. The thing is some ppl in medicine have no business sense or have no interest in entrepreneurialship. As a pathologist you can make good income but you are limited to only so many hours of day of work.

Just like any thing make sure you are passionate about your business/product.

I do think rental property is the way to go especially when you are working as a pathologist. Learn it and buy As many positive cash flow properties As you can over your career.
I always hear these stories, but they always lack key details. 100K/mo rental income sounds great, but it's only one side of the coin. What are his monthly costs? Monthly mortgage expenses? Monthly property taxes? Monthly HOA fees, home insurance, maintenance, management fees, etc? In other words, what is his actual net monthly take home, not just what he's bragging about as rental income? And aside from that, what is the time commitment involved?

For me stocks/ETFs/funds are the easiest way to grow my wealth. I have the largest amount of my money in VIGAX and I keep some outside of that to play with in risky fashion since it amuses me. I don't have the time or energy for rental properties or starting/running businesses. Neither interests me in any way and would feel like extra work. I can play with stocks while at my desk at work with minimal effort, and auto-invest the bulk into VIGAX. That suits me just fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have had rental properties and they are a headache that you either let someone deal with the headaches and you only have a minor headache or you deal with them and are miserable.

I will let Steven Schwartzman manage my properties and continue to own BX.

Wow Mike - nice work

I do agree with others you practiced more in they heyday of pathology when it was possible to accumulate more $

To answer the OP
I have been able to outperform the S&P 500 by picking individual stocks and mixing in some conservative options plays. You have to put in the work - do research, listen to the earnings call and stick to things you know. Our job sorta gives a bit more insight into the medical / Heathcare sector. Also a paths hours aren’t as demanding as some MDs allowing more time for this. Like most folks I max out all pre - tax savings options (all of this is in index funds). But at our income level you have to also save And invest a lot of post tax $ in order to retire with the same lifestyle. For me my post tax investments are in a combo of index funds and individual stocks. And increasingly lately I have been favoring stocks that I like with conservative options (non-leveraged, cash or stock covered) mixed in. Options are great for protecting positions, lowering your risk and increasing your overall return.

I have had rental properties and they are a headache that you either let someone deal with the headaches and you only have a minor headache or you deal with them and are miserable.

I will let Steven Schwartzman manage my properties and continue to own BX.

I am trying to imagine having Thrombus for a landlord. You ever rent to anyone in academia?

• Haha
Rentals have FAR less risk than stocks. Stock market is just gambling. It isn't that big of a hassle and you have more than just a piece of paper with graphs. Only use the stock market sparingly. I don't recommend buying farms right now. They are still overinflated and I am thankful I got in on that when I did. I am seeing 100 acre farms selling for over a million which is ridiculous. It would take many decades to get that money back if you just rent the land.

Bottom line is get as many sources of supplemental income as you can working in pathology.

wtf r u talking about, buy and hold stock market is the most proven and most passive way to become rich, buy mutual funds and hold for 30 years, you will on average make 8-10 percent per year over that term and you retire with millions..no thank you to tenants and evictions and having to learn how to run rentals huge hassles I do not recommend

I will let you buy shares of companies. I am quite content with all the Florida condos I own and property, rentals in Kentucky.

I like making the big money, not pathetic 8-10 percent a year.

Most people are in pathology for a reason, they don't like dealing with people. Stock market probably is a better investment for those types.

You own properties in Florida and Kentucky? Yeah that sounds very passive..having to travel and connect with agents, brokers, find deals, manage property management companies, deal with evictions and loans, etc.etc. I don’t do anything, I give the stock market my money and sit on the beach collecting 8-10 percent per year..I don’t need anything more than that as I will retire with a few million dollars with 0 hassles

Move the goal post and make a few hundred million. You are a one percenter and you can do it.

Move the goal post and make a few hundred million. You are a one percenter and you can do it.

you are not going to make 100 million as a physician investor nor should that be an aspiration, I’d rather keep my Few million and great family life than work myself to death with headaches and hassles for more money than I really need

Webb, there is no question that you are a “ go getter” type and lots of active investments and hands-on work has been good to you. But, I think you are the exception, and I mean that in the most complementary manner. I just never had the time, energy, expertise or interest to invest as you do.
And, it has probably taken me LOTS longer to make my nut than you and I sure as hell don’t have anywhere NEAR a 9 figure nest egg like you. My “8” figure cache is very LOW
8 figures ( teens). The BEST Monte Carlo projection only gets me to about 65M with current plan, live to 100 ( wife to 105) and best case scenario. But it gives me a >99% chance of never running out of money on a $275k annual draw, AFTER taxes and indexed for inflation. With zero debt, we do fine and I can help my 2 adult kids and my 2 grandkids. Now that my health is fine, i can ask for nothing more.

That is/was the best I could do after a very fortunate and well timed career.

Reactions: 3 users
Boglehead for me too apart from some well researched buy and hold individual stocks mostly blue chips. Mostly technical and fundamental analysis. I am in late thirties and at present growth rate will cross Mike’s current number in 8-10 years if things doesn’t change drastically. Planning to go part time in 2-3 years and concentrate on charity work. Looked into rental properties but decided against it, too much work and time commitment. Hold REITS though. Don’t like fancy cars and big houses so technically can exit or go part time right now and will be fine even with a conservative 2.5% draw but I have realized lately particularly after the Covid shutdown that I genuinely enjoy looking at slides and won’t be happy if I exit completely. The only thing that worries me sometimes is the malpractice risk with continuing practicing.

Reactions: 1 users
I am trying to imagine having Thrombus for a landlord. You ever rent to anyone in academia?

Perhaps. I don’t know as I pay someone else to deal with it. I buy cheap rental homes in decent parts of town.

Webb, there is no question that you are a “ go getter” type and lots of active investments and hands-on work has been good to you. But, I think you are the exception, and I mean that in the most complementary manner. I just never had the time, energy, expertise or interest to invest as you do.
And, it has probably taken me LOTS longer to make my nut than you and I sure as hell don’t have anywhere NEAR a 9 figure nest egg like you. My “8” figure cache is very LOW
8 figures ( teens). The BEST Monte Carlo projection only gets me to about 65M with current plan, live to 100 ( wife to 105) and best case scenario. But it gives me a >99% chance of never running out of money on a $275k annual draw, AFTER taxes and indexed for inflation. With zero debt, we do fine and I can help my 2 adult kids and my 2 grandkids. Now that my health is fine, i can ask for nothing more.

There are many supposedly "uneducated" people around me making millions doing this so it is very common. Lot of the wealthiest people I know bypassed college all together and just run businesses, buy rentals etc. Stock market makes very little sense to me. I have no clue why it hasn't fallen off a cliff right now. Businesses operating at far less capacity, workers furloughed/laid off and no end in sight yet. Yea, i really want my retirement money in that crapshoot. Buy stocks like guardant health when you have a hot tip but invest in other areas.

Buy stocks like guardant health when you have a hot tip but invest in other areas.
"Hot tips" almost always backfire. Not saying always, but someone telling you to buy something as a hot tip may be someone helping you or dumping their bags on you. If it is from an insider, congrats, you are committing a crime.

My winning investment portfolio:

27% Ken Griffey jr Upper Deck 1989
22% comic books from 1990s (all #1 collectors editions!)
20% box full of vintage garbage pail kids
16% MIB "Donnie" NKOTB doll from Spencer's Gifts
15% Bitcoin (I am told this will be at $100k/BTC by the end of the year!)

A bit off exact topic, but one of the best “money” moves you can make now is to assure your kids ( and perhaps sig. other/dependent family) are financially literate. A basic investment/ finance/econ book, published by author who is most interested in FACTUAL teaching and is NOT selling anything is a great idea, ( just as “how to win friends and influence people ((D. Carnegie)) is something every parent should have their kid(s) read (and re-read when they are 16
)! Be well all.

l

You don't have any beanie babies for retirement?

I have boxes full of old basketball cards I bought in packs in the 1970s and 80s, including two Michael Jordan rookie cards, Magic/Bird rookies etc. I have no clue if any of that is worth anything now or not. Market went to crap for cards.

Foundation One, Exact Sciences, Guardant health, Cytyc, Digene. We have had some pretty obvious stocks to buy over the years that were clearly game changers. Companies with little to no competition. Hell digene had a monopoly on HPV testing for years. I have made millions off those stocks.

My latest hot tip was to buy Fastly or whatever the hell it is and hit a 4 bagger in 2 months. Sometimes those can really pay off.

I have boxes full of old basketball cards I bought in packs in the 1970s and 80s, including two Michael Jordan rookie cards, Magic/Bird rookies etc. I have no clue if any of that is worth anything now or not. Market went to crap for cards.

Foundation One, Exact Sciences, Guardant health, Cytyc, Digene. We have had some pretty obvious stocks to buy over the years that were clearly game changers. Companies with little to no competition. Hell digene had a monopoly on HPV testing for years. I have made millions off those stocks.
true story:
I got an pack of Fleer 1985 basketball cards at a friend's birthday party (at the local bowling alley, of course). I open it and inside is the now-famous Michael Jordan rookie card. I have no idea who Michael Jordan is, so I foolishly trade it for the Spudd Webb rookie card, which I liked better since Spudd had recently won the Slam Dunk contest.

I got home and told my cousin about it. He thought I was so dumb he put my Spudd Webb card up to the fan (to teach me a lesson, I guess?)

The MJ card would be worth over $10,000 today. The Spudd Webb card is about $10.

I would tell you all my stonks investment strategy, but I am still down about 20% since pre-apocalypse times. Got killed by my "safe" blue chips in auto and mortgage industries. I am down about 70% or more on those.
Funny enough the speculative stuff saved me- mostly AMZN and TSLA.

Having disappeared down the investment industry rabbit hole for ~5 years before realizing how much of it is BS, I enjoy reading threads like this. Most interesting is how people think they're investors when they're actually speculators.

Anyways. Simple 80/20 portfolio. 80% low-fee, index based funds, 20% alternative strategies -- volatility ETNs, options on stocks and leveraged ETFs, cryptos, international real estate (mostly virgin land).

As lame as it sounds, the best investment you can make is in yourself. There's thousands of ways to make (or save) money out there, and whether it's learning about commercial real estate investing, 13-Fs, option greeks, behavioral modification or even basic home repairs, reading has been my single best investment.

Don't be silly. Everyone knows Beenie Babies are a Ponzi scam. My sister based her entire portfolio in Beenie Babies and now lives in a cardboard box, having to eat her Beenie Babies for sustenance.

The best way to invest, which has been scientifically proven by science, is cryptocurrencies. These magical internet beans create an ecosystem of future finance, long after the evil Fed and the USA collapse. Envision a Mad-Max type future. Do you see people exchanging dollars? No. There will be no more Fed to print money and enslave us all. Instead, everyone will have digital wallets that will work with a secure and transparent blockchain technology to ensure no one could ever steal your funds as it is a trustless system. These coins also have implicit value because there is a fixed number of coins that can never increase. Every day hundreds of new (but really different) crypto investment vehicles are created. You can see how revolutionary they are by reading their white papers on their web sites.
You can acquire these magical tokens through exchanges, wherein you can give them dollars and in return get bitcoin (the original) or other highly-prized commodities (typically called by anagram to Super Helpful, Important Technology coins). Be mindful you usually cannot exchange these critical future tokens back into dollars from most exchanges. But don't worry, just hold on to them forever, and soon you will be driving a different Lambo for every day of the week. If you don't believe me, just go on YouTube and Twitter and look at all the Bitcoin billionaires that are out there. Most just want you to be a billionaire too. They are so nice!

Don't listen to economists or the old people with fancy degrees telling you negative things about crypto. They are all part of the swamp, paid by George Soros to lie to you. They all have everything to lose by you believing in the truth of the new financial system. Only real savants like failed child-actor Brock Pierce know the truth. Study it out!

Don't be silly. Everyone knows Beenie Babies are a Ponzi scam. My sister based her entire portfolio in Beenie Babies and now lives in a cardboard box, having to eat her Beenie Babies for sustenance.

The best way to invest, which has been scientifically proven by science, is cryptocurrencies. These magical internet beans create an ecosystem of future finance, long after the evil Fed and the USA collapse. Envision a Mad-Max type future. Do you see people exchanging dollars? No. There will be no more Fed to print money and enslave us all. Instead, everyone will have digital wallets that will work with a secure and transparent blockchain technology to ensure no one could ever steal your funds as it is a trustless system. These coins also have implicit value because there is a fixed number of coins that can never increase. Every day hundreds of new (but really different) crypto investment vehicles are created. You can see how revolutionary they are by reading their white papers on their web sites.
You can acquire these magical tokens through exchanges, wherein you can give them dollars and in return get bitcoin (the original) or other highly-prized commodities (typically called by anagram to Super Helpful, Important Technology coins). Be mindful you usually cannot exchange these critical future tokens back into dollars from most exchanges. But don't worry, just hold on to them forever, and soon you will be driving a different Lambo for every day of the week. If you don't believe me, just go on YouTube and Twitter and look at all the Bitcoin billionaires that are out there. Most just want you to be a billionaire too. They are so nice!

Don't listen to economists or the old people with fancy degrees telling you negative things about crypto. They are all part of the swamp, paid by George Soros to lie to you. They all have everything to lose by you believing in the truth of the new financial system. Only real savants like failed child-actor Brock Pierce know the truth. Study it out!
Yeah some ppl say like you mentioned bitcoin will get up to over 100,000 maybe to 200,000$. It reached 20,000 but dropped a lot. Seems very volatile though. Facebook has their own crypto calledLibra I believe?

Last edited:
Boring boglehead here. Always think about rentals and always talk myself out of it.

Yeah some ppl say like you mentioned bitcoin will get up to over 100,000 maybe to 200,000$. It reached 20,000 but dropped a lot. Seems very volatile though. Facebook has their own crypto calledLibra I believe?

All joking aside, the bitcoin use case is:
  1. 95% fraudulent schemes (scammers trying to steal your actual wealth)
  2. 4.55% money laundering media for organized crime to evade the anti-money laundering regulations faced by banks
  3. 0.05% all the possibly legitimate uses that don't quite exist but may some day, and are used to support #1 and #2 above
The fact that bitcoin has any real perceived value (currently between $8,000-9,500 $/BTC) is entirely due to exchange fraud, as crypto exchanges have no regulations, and are themselves engaged in the creation of, distribution of, and buying/selling of these same "currencies"; this results in an unchecked conflict of interest as these exchanges themselves own order books and themselves and large groups manipulate prices to clean out leveraged positions. Exchanges allow and participate in: painting the tape, pump-dump schemes, and other methods that are clearly illegal in regulated markets; furthermore, fake coin ICOs and Ponzi schemes are rampant.

While there is considerable nuance, the simple answer here is that BTC is effectively a scam. Not in it's intended use, but how it has been utilized to date. Right now, the price of BTC is entirely sustained by fraudulent practices, particularly the creation of fake "stable coins", particularly Tether (USDT). Let me explain:

You cannot directly use $ on most exchanges. So to be able to buy and trade BTC and other coins USDT was created. Basically, you buy 1 USDT with 1 US dollar. You can then take that USDT and trade if for BTC or some other coin on virtually any exchange. Once you give Tether a USD, they give you one USDT, and because the only way a USDT is created is by receiving and holding your USD, each 1 USDT= 1 USD; i.e., a "stablecoin" wherein 1 USDT is always equal to 1 USD (dollar). The only way to maintain this "peg" is for Tether to hold all that cash in a bank, so that if you ever wanted to cash out your USDT they would return your USD and burn that USDT token. Makes sense, right? In theory, USDTs are generated with all the money coming into the market to exchanges that do not take US currency (most of them) and allow them to participate in the coin economy.

Now remember there are no regulations. How does one know that USDT are only created when USD are deposited? How do we know that USDT are burned when redeemed? How do we know Tether maintains a bank vault full of all the USD that have been deposited? Pretty sketchy, right?

Now realize that Tether has never allowed audits of their accounts, in fact, they can't get access to US banks because they are a criminal enterprise, that scientific views of the blockchain data shows that the USDT are created in huge amounts and dumped into the market every time BTC prices start to come down, and that these dumps always precede the subsequent raise in the BTC prices, and Tether is wholly owned by the world's largest BTC exchange (bitfinex) and share the same management.

At this time, USDT's daily volume is $17B and there are only 9B coins outstanding, meaning each coin on average is trading hands almost twice a day. Interestingly, BTC daily volume is also roughly $17B.

The rise of BTC value in 2017 was essentially entirely fueled by exchange fraud, and they put into hyperactive with USDT. This did result in FOMO and interest in BTC as a speculative vehicle caused by this fraud which lead to real dollars coming into BTC, but this has largely evaporated at this point.

Sorry, I have this on my mind....

Here is a list of common market manipulation strategies:

Virtually all of these are constantly occurring on crypto exchanges and drive most of the volume, and there is no incentive to stop it since much of it is done by the exchanges themselves. You might say, "hey, I use Gemini/CoinBase, where they don't allow these shenanigans!", and I would tell you it is irrelevant, because those that do it allow arbitrage with your "legit" exchanges, meaning the illicit activities flow through all crypto exchanges. In fact, the legit exchanges are where they scammers are likely cashing out, leaving their customers (and their own) accounts on their shady exchanges full of IOUs.

It is so bad that the price movement of BTC is often found in a "Bart" formation, where the price quickly moves from high to low and back to liquidate margin positions, and does not follow typical organic movements of a real market (like this):
DZdSHW7XkAAzhln.jpg

A few drawbacks of "real estate":
(1) success depends, often, being in right market/geographic regions,
(2) it may be susceptible to prolonged local market up and down cycles,
(3) unless your portfolio is of size that allows for a dedicated management staff, it is time consuming and, often, unpleasant,
(4) as you age, it TRULY becomes a burden around your neck, regardless of dedicated management staff or not

Hi! I have been investing (10.000 USD or so) in the oil industry after it collapsed in March. By buying cheaper than usual oil and gas company stocks (16+ types of companies) I was able to gain a 144%ish gains of my original investment (after the oil prices recovered to 40-42 USD). Will continue this investing strategy for the next 12-18 months (as oil is predicted to reach 100 USD after the economy begins to recover). In the event of another major stock market crash or oil war, I would probably lose 50-75% of the money I invested. Will probably repeat the strategy in the event of another oil price crash in the future if I manage to derive profits from this. :)

Hi! I have been investing (10.000 USD or so) in the oil industry after it collapsed in March. By buying cheaper than usual oil and gas company stocks (16+ types of companies) I was able to gain a 144%ish gains of my original investment (after the oil prices recovered to 40-42 USD). Will continue this investing strategy for the next 12-18 months (as oil is predicted to reach 100 USD after the economy begins to recover). In the event of another major stock market crash or oil war, I would probably lose 50-75% of the money I invested. Will probably repeat the strategy in the event of another oil price crash in the future if I manage to derive profits from this. :)

In my experience, you are speculating. You must be a young man. I would listen up to Mikesheree.

As long as you stick with just that 10K it's not a big deal. I tried a similar approach during the oil crash in 2014 and most definitely did not make my money back. It's a gamble. Just don't every think anything is a sure thing.

Timing the market right can pay off huge, but is itself not a good strategy as we obviously don't know what the real highs and lows will be. In terms of retirement it is far better to put in a little over time in sensible investments over the long haul. But I agree- I also thought the market was oversold in March and put in about $30K. This is not too much and the subsequent gains (also about 100%) have not made up for my other losses. For example, I was already invested heavily in energy, which as not recovered.

Nothing wrong with speculating. Just get your bet size right, and have an exit plan.

Lots of people don't realize that the boglehead approach is also a speculative bet. A bet on the continued hegemony of the U.S. economy and central bank which, if it pays off like it has in the past, will make you wealthy. At age 75.

Ladies and gentlemen, please 1. invest as early as you can. We all understand the math of compounded interest and the “ rule of seven”. Because of these mathematical facts, my 2 grand boys git a good chunk of money ~birth. At a modest ( but maybe/ maybe not ,good for the future) 7% interest, they will have enjoyed 2 doubling times by the time they are 20.
No further explanation needed. If they dollar cost average in( even if they inherit nada from me) over the rest of their active working lives, maxing contributions they will be very comfortable. Make sure your kids know all this. I had to learn on my own.

I am hurt and sorry that good, BRIGHT folks such as I have interacted with on this board (y’all) are hurting now. Please be well and at peace.

Bump.
Lots of good advice, plenty of less than helpful advice.
Things to keep in mind:
-most graduates the last few years and for the foreseeable future are going to have staggering debt with exorbitant interest rates and increasingly less wages despite complexity increasing and workload to accommodate revenue loss. Given that, it behooves the younger in the profession to get out from under massive debt before taking any side steps in rental properties, investment syndicates and side businesses: take the first 5-7 years of your job to pay off med school, live humbly, get rid of whatever CC debt you accumulated in med school, don't buy a porsche, and budget accordingly.

-whatever income you can invest aside from the self-directed or employee-funded 401k/profit sharing, put in conventional IRAs you can convert to Roths every year or two.
-if you can get an HSA, max it out and defer depleting it with dr appts and meds, use your checking account; when the amount gets above a few $K or 'about' your max out of pocket if your reserve / emergency funds are low, start investing--long term index funds or ETFs; max the HSA every year and sit and wait.
-if you have an extra $5-10k a month, quarter, etc, buy some long term index funds or ETFs (eg. vanguard total stock market ETF / admiral funds)
-try to save cash every month, on top of your emergency funds, that can be used down the road if you choose to dive into real estate.
-ensure you have adequate life (at least $4 mil) and disability insurance

I'd recommend paying down major debt (unless the rate is 1%) and setting in motion some standard monthly investments before delving into the rental property scene. You're not going to get rich in medicine but it's still your primary means to an end at LEAST until you've got your financial routine in order.

Aside from 401k max [$57k/yr], HSA max, IRA with Roth conversions for wife & I, and 529s for the kids, I put $3k/mos into investment savings account, anything beyond $50k gets rolled into short term CDs [if the rates are good, if they're bad like now it goes to stock investment portfolio] in $25k increments unless there's a pending home remodel or investment opportunity, which is most of the time [keep max $100k in savings];
$5k/mos goes into self directed investment account, most of which is total and S&P 500 ETFs or a few tech and high-dividend stocks. I splurged on about $25k worth of random stocks late March at the nadir, and generally keep about $50k liquid awaiting opportunity.

I haven't taken the plunge for rentals/real estate yet have the cash to do so if / when I feel the urge.

I can't emphasize enough how FREE it feels to have no debt while saving nearly everything and getting to a point that you've accumulated enough cash to make worthwhile investments in real estate and the stock market, take comfortable vacations that don't dent your savings, etc. Delayed gratification will pay off in the end, and if it doesn't, at least your kids will be the benefactors [which reminds me--have some estate planning in order from day 1].

Last edited:
Well, Octo really said it all. It is kinda boring, not fun and takes forever. But, it works consistently.

Bump.
Lots of good advice, plenty of less than helpful advice.
Things to keep in mind:
-most graduates the last few years and for the foreseeable future are going to have staggering debt with exorbitant interest rates and increasingly less wages despite complexity increasing and workload to accommodate revenue loss. Given that, it behooves the younger in the profession to get out from under massive debt before taking any side steps in rental properties, investment syndicates and side businesses: take the first 5-7 years of your job to pay off med school, live humbly, get rid of whatever CC debt you accumulated in med school, don't buy a porsche, and budget accordingly.

-whatever income you can invest aside from the self-directed or employee-funded 401k/profit sharing, put in conventional IRAs you can convert to Roths every year or two.
-if you can get an HSA, max it out and defer depleting it with dr appts and meds, use your checking account; when the amount gets above a few $K or 'about' your max out of pocket if your reserve / emergency funds are low, start investing--long term index funds or ETFs; max the HSA every year and sit and wait.
-if you have an extra $5-10k a month, quarter, etc, buy some long term index funds or ETFs (eg. vanguard total stock market ETF / admiral funds)
-try to save cash every month, on top of your emergency funds, that can be used down the road if you choose to dive into real estate.
-ensure you have adequate life (at least $4 mil) and disability insurance

I'd recommend paying down major debt (unless the rate is 1%) and setting in motion some standard monthly investments before delving into the rental property scene. You're not going to get rich in medicine but it's still your primary means to an end at LEAST until you've got your financial routine in order.

Aside from 401k max [$57k/yr], HSA max, IRA with Roth conversions for wife & I, and 529s for the kids, I put $3k/mos into investment savings account, anything beyond $50k gets rolled into short term CDs [if the rates are good, if they're bad like now it goes to stock investment portfolio] in $25k increments unless there's a pending home remodel or investment opportunity, which is most of the time [keep max $100k in savings];
$5k/mos goes into self directed investment account, most of which is total and S&P 500 ETFs or a few tech and high-dividend stocks. I splurged on about $25k worth of random stocks late March at the nadir, and generally keep about $50k liquid awaiting opportunity.

I haven't taken the plunge for rentals/real estate yet have the cash to do so if / when I feel the urge.

I can't emphasize enough how FREE it feels to have no debt while saving nearly everything and getting to a point that you've accumulated enough cash to make worthwhile investments in real estate and the stock market, take comfortable vacations that don't dent your savings, etc. Delayed gratification will pay off in the end, and if it doesn't, at least your kids will be the benefactors [which reminds me--have some estate planning in order from day 1].
Why put money into index funds versus reliable stocks?

Why put money into index funds versus reliable stocks?
I guess I mainly stick with ETFs, mostly VTI, so I tend to use the terms interchangeably (vtsax/vti) as they’re essentially the same...reliable, lower risk and balanced...
I’d like to have more than a few shares of amazon, but at this price point it’s harder to make appreciable gains unless you’re lobbing $ in multiples of 10k, and for that kinda money I feel I’m better off playing the safe long term game...an ETF like QQQ exposes you to plenty Nasdaq tech including Amazon.
I still have stocks...apple, msft, a few hundred BRK.B’s, random gas/oil, pharma, tech and real estate stock, and a smattering of high dividend stocks that move less but pay consistent dividends, and “COVID crash” picks...but most in VTI, VOO, and SPY, and a few others.