What's the catch with anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should absolutely go into anesthesia. Very good money for 45-48 hrs/wk, 1:13 overnight call, usually 1:3 supervision (10% sitting, 1:2 with a heart, occasional 1:4 later in the day to get colleagues out).

Could you make >1M doing cards, cardiac surgery, neurosurg, ortho? Sure. But if 750k and 10 wks off (being in the top 1%) isn't good enough because you need to be in the top 0.5% then you have a personality disorder or spending problem.
Basically our setup as well except we don’t supervise hearts.

We work 35-40h of in hospital time per week but pull closer to 650-675k for cardiac people doing that. 10 weeks off. Hospital just dropped OB service tbd if it ever comes back.

Major metro area (I count having 3x pro sports teams as major metro).

As they say on those bumper stickers,
“Life Is Good”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That income is not the norm for urogynecology.

The work hours I believe (lack of call, emergencies etc) but our procedures do not reimburse that much to make $700k on a regular basis.
He's hospital employed, paid ~$60/RVU and produces 12.5-13K RVUs/yr with that 4 days/week.

He's actually moving soon for family reasons and his new employer is paying him $2 more per RVU.

We work 35-40h of in hospital time per week but pull closer to 650-675k for cardiac people doing that. 10 weeks off. Hospital just dropped OB service tbd if it ever comes back.

“Life Is Good”
Your hourly is around $400/hr as a W2? Man…I’d be tempted to switch from locums for a gig like that

You can certainly find jobs with a lot less of those downsides.

We are 80-90% solo cases (98% solo for me on CV team). ZERO crnas and a handful of AAs. Hospital employed. I take a decent amount of extra call intentionally and that has me working about 50hrs/week and on track to make about $750 this year. That's only taking 6 weeks vacation this year. Next year I should do the same or more with 8 weeks vacation.

Nurses are great (or at least good enough), surgeons are easy to work with, work satisfaction is through the roof for me. Very low stress.

Compared this to the year I worked in academics with a boatload of crnas, of which 20% were awful to work with, I got stripped of vacation days and meeting days because they were understaffed, and got paid about 50-60% of what I'm making now. I also never got to sit my own cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
He's hospital employed, paid ~$60/RVU and produces 12.5-13K RVUs/yr with that 4 days/week.

He's actually moving soon for family reasons and his new employer is paying him $2 more per RVU.

That's a good situation.

But he's producing 90th percentile RVUs and getting paid appropriately.

Not the norm for your typical urogynecologist. Good for him on hustling but median wRVUs is around 6500 to 7500.

That's a good situation.

But he's producing 90th percentile RVUs and getting paid appropriately.

Not the norm for your typical urogynecologist. Good for him on hustling but median wRVUs is around 6500 to 7500.
Pretty sweet when you can achieve 90%ile production with 4 days per week. I'm putting in a lot more than him to achieve the same $$$. And he never has to spend the night away from home at the hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
You should absolutely go into anesthesia. Very good money for 45-48 hrs/wk, 1:13 overnight call, usually 1:3 supervision (10% sitting, 1:2 with a heart, occasional 1:4 later in the day to get colleagues out).

The reality of our jobs is that to the surgeons and OR staff we are like offensive lineman - the better you are at your job and the more smoothly things go... the less you get noticed. Exceptions are ICU, cardiac, (outpatient) pain. This bothers some personality types that should never have gone into anesthesia.

People since the 1980's have continuously warned about 1:6, 1:8, 1:10. Hasn't happened. Not on the horizon at any reasonably sized center.

95% of CRNA's are kind, easy to work with, happy to have you there. If your practice isn't filtering out the other 5% then you're doing it wrong. I also work with CAA's so this is significantly less of an issue. Malignant CRNA's are <5% and naturally filter out in 1-2 years.

The supply/demand shortage is making it so that anesthesia groups are getting large stipends (or employed by hospitals) to supplement anesthesia billing. These should all come with contracts for rooms down at 1p/3p/5p/7p/9p, etc. You should know how many staff you have and when you're getting off ahead of time. This staying 5 hrs over is only at night when your on overnight call anyway. It otherwise never happens.

This garbage about taking s**t from surgeons and OR staff sounds terrible. You (and your leadership) need to grow a backbone.

Could you make >1M doing cards, cardiac surgery, neurosurg, ortho? Sure. But if 750k and 10 wks off (being in the top 1%) isn't good enough because you need to be in the top 0.5% then you have a personality disorder or spending problem.
I have found the same in my limited experience of 5 years as an attending. Do you think the naysayers for medically directed jobs on this forum largely work in MD only practices but have never actually worked with solid CRNAs and AAs? It's not perfect by any means, and obviously you have to know who in the department needs a bit more of a watchful eye, and also avoid 6-10:1 supervision jobs, but I've been very happy with my choice, and I remember my psych rotations as a med student and intern (former military here so psych was required) and I couldn't imagine wanting to do that.

“Life Is Good”
Unfortunately partners are leaving who are making 800k in many major areas (4 major teams sports )

650-675k is standard locums pay with no calls or weekends these days in most
Most areas plus 10 weeks off.

Notice u don’t even mention beeper time. I count beeper time as time on the clock.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, we have a decent amount of beeper time, Q7 first calls. However, post call days for first call are 95% even with zero call ins. Most 1st call days done by 7-8pm, 2nd call done by 3-5pm (only called in as a generalist if there is a concurrent cardiac case), non-call done by 11am-130pm.

I've talked with many jobs, this is one of the best ones I've found in a major metro personally for W-2 work, both cardiac and general. It's a great job if you want to settle down, have a wider case mix than most locums, a consistent place to work, and start or move a family, with milder weather than a lot of the midwest.
Just a weird world and anesthesia job market we live in.

Most people just want to make their own schedule. Not have to fight for Xmas or spring break or summer vacation weeks if they have kids. The best way is just to do locums or even prn w2.

Im from Midwest. The true east coast and true west coast are still brutal working conditions for most anesthesia practices.

Unfortunately partners are leaving who are making 800k in many major areas (4 major teams sports )

650-675k is standard locums pay with no calls or weekends these days in most
Most areas plus 10 weeks off.

Notice u don’t even mention beeper time. I count beeper time as time on the clock.
Partners are leaving going where? 650-675 without call? How much is that per hour? Let’s not act like your 50l weeks are normal here.

When we've got 4 cardiac and 3.5 general docs, the flexibility I've had is second to none, including locums I've done. They usually want week long blocks for the bigger money in my experience, which is limiting compared to our practice. We have the ability to take single or 2-3 day vacations if we want. Basically 50 days off to spread around as we want, with post call days to boot.

For example, I have a small vacation coming up. Take 1st call Tuesday, then post Wednesday. Take 2 days off Th/Fri, and you've gotten a 5 day vacation with 2 vacation days taken.

With post call days, it probably adds up to around 70-75 weekdays off per year. Out of 260 weekdays that's pretty good for our pay I think. Most people sell a little vacation back if they want for a little more money.
How do you have more CV docs than general docs? In any case you can’t have a weeklong vacation at a time?

Go into psych. Better career long term.

People will burn out in anesthesia by age 50-55. You see countless threads

Psych u can do tele psych. Pay can be 400k in psych plus side gigs. Remote working plus inpatient

Psych is better play. Always be ahead of the game. Psych is where it’s at.

Tons of people with supposed mental health problems. I’m not a firm believer in mostly made up mental health crap but it pays the bills.
I'm honestly surprised seeing that you recommend this. Seems like you give a great sales pitch for anesthesia on other threads. I agree psych is good but idk man

The reality of our jobs is that to the surgeons and OR staff we are like offensive lineman - the better you are at your job and the more smoothly things go... the less you get noticed. Exceptions are ICU, cardiac, (outpatient) pain. This bothers some personality types that should never have gone into anesthesia.

People since the 1980's have continuously warned about 1:6, 1:8, 1:10. Hasn't happened. Not on the horizon at any reasonably sized center.

95% of CRNA's are kind, easy to work with, happy to have you there. If your practice isn't filtering out the other 5% then you're doing it wrong. I also work with CAA's so this is significantly less of an issue. Malignant CRNA's are <5% and naturally filter out in 1-2 years.

The supply/demand shortage is making it so that anesthesia groups are getting large stipends (or employed by hospitals) to supplement anesthesia billing. These should all come with contracts for rooms down at 1p/3p/5p/7p/9p, etc. You should know how many staff you have and when you're getting off ahead of time. This staying 5 hrs over is only at night when your on overnight call anyway. It otherwise never happens.

This garbage about taking s**t from surgeons and OR staff sounds terrible. You (and your leadership) need to grow a backbone.

curious your location - yours sounds like a truly great job.
i talk to lots of my friends all over the country and i dont think they would describe the crna situation like you do. one example- i have friends in ft worth that do have higher supervision ratios... the crnas do what they want and view the anesthesiologist as mostly irrelevant - they may be nice to her face.... example 2- outskirts of dallas (one of the drs that left there is on here but may not comment) has malignant crnas that dont call the anesthesiologists even when theyre in trouble and has higher supervision ratios. note the job listed in longview tx that I asked twice about supervision ratios and relationship with crnas... not answered - twice. there are no AAs in dfw so that may make the enviorment better elsewhere.
another friend that does locums lots of places and complains about malignant or entitled crnas everywhere she goes except north dakota. two friends work in florida and say nice things about their crnas but those jobs are also 475 for full call taking positions - one envision and one that the hospital just employed napa fall apart.
personally, I cant complain.... I do mostly solo work and work with mostly good crnas when I am on care team but I think there is pressure from the hospital to increase supervision ratios. I am well paid and have 9 weeks vacation... i dont expect more money at all.... I am worried about pressure to increase ratios. lots of gi centers in town have the gi dr delegate crnas or have a placeholder firefighter anesthesiologist.... I just dont think we have the same culture that your city does.... im envious

When we've got 4 cardiac and 3.5 general docs, the flexibility I've had is second to none, including locums I've done. They usually want week long blocks for the bigger money in my experience, which is limiting compared to our practice. We have the ability to take single or 2-3 day vacations if we want. Basically 50 days off to spread around as we want, with post call days to boot.

For example, I have a small vacation coming up. Take 1st call Tuesday, then post Wednesday. Take 2 days off Th/Fri, and you've gotten a 5 day vacation with 2 vacation days taken.

With post call days, it probably adds up to around 70-75 weekdays off per year. Out of 260 weekdays that's pretty good for our pay I think. Most people sell a little vacation back if they want for a little more money.
Good for u. It really boils down to location, payor mix and hospital competition
Partners are leaving going where? 650-675 without call? How much is that per hour? Let’s not act like your 50l weeks are normal here.
Partners just doing locums. U can easily do 20k per week 3 weeks a month supervising 1:2 (1:3) 3 weeks out of a month. That’s 60k no calls x 12 months. 720k. Easy. I just got locums contract like that.

Don’t focus on the hourly pay. It’s all $350/400/hr at thus point.

It’s the work load that’s important to me especially for calls (money ball)

I can’t work post call if I’m up doing 2-3 c/s solo plus putting 5-6 epidural nightly. That’s too much work even at $450-hr to work 140 hrs for the week.

Pace of work matters.

These partners getting burned out too much work even for 800k a year.

Workload matters more than hourly rate for locums

Now if the hourly rate were $250/hr vs $425/hr. Than that’s a huge gap and gotta use ur common sense what matters more.

Reactions: 2 users
You can certainly find jobs with a lot less of those downsides.

We are 80-90% solo cases (98% solo for me on CV team). ZERO crnas and a handful of AAs. Hospital employed. I take a decent amount of extra call intentionally and that has me working about 50hrs/week and on track to make about $750 this year. That's only taking 6 weeks vacation this year. Next year I should do the same or more with 8 weeks vacation.

Nurses are great (or at least good enough), surgeons are easy to work with, work satisfaction is through the roof for me. Very low stress.

Compared this to the year I worked in academics with a boatload of crnas, of which 20% were awful to work with, I got stripped of vacation days and meeting days because they were understaffed, and got paid about 50-60% of what I'm making now. I also never got to sit my own cases.
Um, can I apply? What state is this mystical job in?